The PGM2 thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

The PGM2 thread

Postby Macaw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:39 am

PGM2 needs its own thread. Current PGM2 games for those that don't know:

Oriental Legend 2 (Xi Yo Gi Shi Re Zuang Er)
Knights of Valour 2: New Legend (San Guo Zhan Zhi Er: Gai Shi Ying Xiong)

Kov2 New Legend appears to be a bit of a broken mess. There isn't really that much new content really, just some new paths in the existing stages, some new items, and about 2 new enemy sprites (Wolf guy that is a recurring battle and a new last boss), and the card system that saves your items and equipment. Also there a bunch of bugs that from what I hear make the game pretty retarded, including infinite black beast that makes scoring in the game a joke. I'd still like to play it, but its unfortunate IGS didn't give it the polish of Oriental Legend 2.

Speaking of OL2, its apparently still got a decent following in Taiwan, China and Singapore despite now being over a year old.

I also cant stress enough how idiotic the Japanese conversion of OL2 that doesn't use the card system is, game is all fucked up. I cant believe they even left in all the money item pickups that enemies drop in the game, considering money has no purpose without cards (In the card versions of the game, you save up heaps of money over multiple playthroughs in order to buy better weapons and armor)

By the way, does anyone know if this Japanese version is a PCB conversion or a PGM2 cart?

Cant wait to see what IGS does next on the PGM2.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 am

Didn't you get a supergun or something, Macaw? If so, shouldn't getting OL2 and a PGM2 your top priority? What I don't like is that getting one game, cards, and miscellaneous stuff is barely cheaper than getting the whole package. It's like they really, really want you to buy 2 full kits.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:51 am

Definitely gonna get it once I find it for a decent price. Is a full kit still about $400? I really want to avoid the Japanese version too of course.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Pda
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pda » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 am

Got a PGM slot+games but not planning to buy PGM2 until they come up with something new.

OG2 a good game in it's own right then?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:11 am

Pda wrote:OG2 a good game in it's own right then?

You mean OL2 yeah? Its pretty amazing I think, any beat em up fan will love it.

Pda
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pda » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:47 am

Yeah sorry,i meant Oriental Legend 2 of course :?

How exactly the money/buy weapons-armors factor works in the game?
Is it impossible to beat the game on a first run?(if you practiced the game before of course)

How is replayability?New paths/scenes once you start buying stuff?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Pda wrote:How exactly the money/buy weapons-armors factor works in the game? Is it impossible to beat the game on a first run?(if you practiced the game before of course)

I'm still not too sure about this considering I haven't played the card version of the game. The website of the game says 'weapons lose effectiveness over time so the players skill is whats important'. Who knows what exactly that means, I wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty of the enemies adjusts as your character levels up and gets new equipment, or something. 1cc'ing the game without a card is definitely possible, there are some video's of this on the net.

Pda wrote:How is replayability?New paths/scenes once you start buying stuff?

Like all IGS beat em ups, there are many different paths and secret areas.

Pda
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pda » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Joey from Legend gave me some prices for OL2,as for yesterday:

Cart 320$
Kit 420$

Said it shouldn't go any lower because it's reaching base cost.

Lastly,no other IGS titles available obviously but PERHAPS something to be announced in May for an Arcade show she mentioned.

Khan
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Khan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:59 pm

i have a pgm2 along with OL2 I bought it for $500 shipped from success.com.

I would say its well worth the money if your a fan of 2D games im a little annoyed that theres no option in bios you can fiddle with that would set the games region and change the text like in the atomiswave....i really want to know whats going on but I cant read chinese lol, im currently saving up for knights of valour 2 new legends ;)

edit:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090406PD203.html

IGS 4 LIYFE SON! ;)

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Wow, that's awesome. Great for IGS. Wonder what game produced the most for them. Hard to believe if it was KOV2NL.

And yeah, the no-region-changing has always sucked. At least you actually got Chinese. I have a Korean version of Demon Front for some reason... I think I'd prefer simplified Chinese for all my carts but it's no big deal.

I'd buy KOV2NL but I'll wait until the bugs clear out. Plus, the fact that getting the cart is only slightly cheaper than getting the whole thing is a major turn-off.

Khan
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Khan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Ganelon wrote:getting the cart is only slightly cheaper than getting the whole thing is a major turn-off.

Yep I noticed that too O_o which is why I will probably get the set. I wonder why that is though? I mean last time I checked $313 for the cart and $466 for the kit from success......surely it would make more sense to have the cart itself for like half the price of the kit.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 pm

It appears Knights of Valour 3 has been announced for PGM2. I cant wait!

cm8833
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cm8833 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:50 pm

I suppose you're not referring to the strategy game Sangokushi taisen 3, produced by Sega and published by IGS in China?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:44 am

Yeah not referring to that. I got the info of KOV3 from Lazy Grazy which reported this:

ナスOツ坂

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:55 am

[quote]
ナスOツ坂
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:09 am

Seems the 3rd title for PGM2 will be the Chinese release of KOF98 UM
http://blog.am-net.jp/article/32501387.html

Why is this on PGM2, Wasn't this released in Japanese arcades over a year ago? Perhaps the PGM2 version has some changes, but I'm not even sure what hardware the Japanese release ran on.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Nope, the 3rd title was Jigsaw World Arena (Idea Factory's version of Nippon Ichi's DS game). I think it's still in loke though.

KOF98UM was indeed released on the Type X (before the PS2 version came out) but I guess the PGM2 is the more economical means for Asian arcades. The Type X version certainly isn't popular in China from what I understand (since everyone still plays the original KOF98). Anyway, there will be tweaks to the characters here.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:08 am

So, I purchased a PGM2 with OL2 and KOV2NL but found out there are 2 versions of the PGM2 mobo (red and blue) and that they are incompatible with each other. Buyer beware!
become history

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Good to know. What's the difference? And shouldn't the shop have tested it beforehand?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 am

Ganelon wrote:Good to know. What's the difference? And shouldn't the shop have tested it beforehand?

KOF98UM Heroes and DDP DOJ T run on blue. OL2 and KOV2NL run on red. Not sure of the exact hardware differences.
become history

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm interested in picking up DOJ T soon if anyone spots a decent price.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Does anybody know yet what the specific differences between DOJT and regular DOJ are?

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 pm

citcelaid wrote:Does anybody know yet what the specific differences between DOJT and regular DOJ are?

there is an "easy" mode added.

supposedly its not far off from just dumping the difficulty settings down on a regular DOJ but i cant verify that myself..

ed: there are no extra gfx, sounds or any actual gameplay alterations tho.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:24 pm

sven666 wrote:ed: there are no extra gfx, sounds or any actual gameplay alterations tho.

But what about the extra pellet power?! O_o

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 am

Shou wrote:So, I purchased a PGM2 with OL2 and KOV2NL but found out there are 2 versions of the PGM2 mobo (red and blue) and that they are incompatible with each other. Buyer beware!

Did you get the Chinese or Japanese versions of the games? I know in my first post in this topic I mention the JP version of OL2 not having the card system and the problems due to that, but really I didn't get to spend enough time with it to know 100% exactly how the system has been changed for the cardless JP version, are the shops/high level weapons/high level skills really just cut out of the game or inaccessible?

And did KOV2NL end up getting a JP release? If so does it still have the card system?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”