The PGM2 thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: The PGM2 thread

Postby Macaw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:29 am

Any word whether this actually runs on the PGM2? $760 is pretty damn cheap.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:22 am

Legend haven't replied so I'm ordering from Excellent.

I don't know what the release price is for China but all the PGM2 games have been available for $700-900 after just a couple of months.

There's a small pic in WeLink's email showing the usual boxed red PGM2 system with cart, art, 4-player adapter and card reader. Fannie says you get 30 cards.

ecl@excellentcom.net
crystal@welink.cc

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:03 pm

If kov3 didn't just look like yet another kov2 expansion then I probably would have bought it, but at this stage I'd rather hand over that kind of money for Gunlord, and given my previous opinion of ngdevteam works I cant believe I am saying that.

Lots of kov3 hardware pics can now be seen here: http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp? ... 7&private=

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 am

Saw the ad from Excellent so looks like there is no 2 screen version but at least there is a cart only release. I'm sure it'll get more affordable in the coming months.
become history

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:46 am

Anyplace decent (read, cheap) to buy the DOJ PGM2 kit?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:32 am

Ok this vid got me much more excited about the game, though definitely still not nearly enough to buy it at the current cost http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEyMTkwNDIw.html

Gigantic ass boss resembling the dragons in Capcoms old brawlers. I always get excited by shit like this as belt action games can often become pretty boring in the boss department when every single boss is just a standard sized human character (although when the theme is something like Final Fight there is really no choice, but its no problem in Final Fight because there is so much charisma about all the characters :) )

There was another rather cinematic encounter in a KOV3 vid I saw where you fight both Cao Cao and Sun Quan I think it was, at the same time, which was pretty cool.

I really need to see a proper full vid of a run of the game from the start to whenever so I can properly see what the structure is like and how it flows, at the moment it still seems like all random bits and pieces despite some of the vids being 20 minutes long.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 am

Ham still doesnt have the full Lazy Grazy site back up (which sucks cause that site was an insane source of arcade info and startegy guides) but he has a blog up called Lazy Daisy and has some thoughts of KOV3

http://arkwright1.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-50.html

I don't fully understand but what is he saying about the credit and card systems? Seems like it could be a scary system where its impossible to 1cc because a credit only buys you a certain amount of time or stages? Can anyone clarify?

Also he's uploaded a clean capture of the kov3 intro and attract.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:50 am

Macaw wrote:Ham still doesnt have the full Lazy Grazy site back up (which sucks cause that site was an insane source of arcade info and startegy guides) but he has a blog up called Lazy Daisy and has some thoughts of KOV3

http://arkwright1.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-50.html

I don't fully understand but what is he saying about the credit and card systems? Seems like it could be a scary system where its impossible to 1cc because a credit only buys you a certain amount of time or stages? Can anyone clarify?

Also he's uploaded a clean capture of the kov3 intro and attract.

Basically, without buying a card and using it, you can never clear the whole game as stages 4-5 won't be opened up to you. Also, he says 1 coin gives you 999 seconds of play and the game itself isn't like a normal belt scroll game as it is designed more like Koei's Shin Sangoku Musou series. He gives some suggestions on what to change if they localize it for non-Chinese markets which I agree with. Sounds like the game is more like an MMO and less about skill.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 am

Yeah thats what I was mentioning earlier in this thread I think when the game was first revealed, all the stages just seem like a bunch of open areas stitched together with a bunch of enemies to clear in each. While the core action is still solid considering its pretty much just all transplanted from KOV2, the fact nothing about any of the stages or anything is really all that exciting apart from a couple of boss battles really sucks. Ham must really be pissed considering it looks like he bought the board.

Anyway at least Dragons Crown is coming!

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 am

I'm wondering if Alta or whoever will bother commissioning a localization for Japan as-is. I'm half expecting an upgrade version like Super Heroes.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Ham's put up a capture of a boss challenge run that shows a bunch of the new sprites http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1598511 ... humb_watch

The game has the enemy wall bouncing from Shen Jian which is pretty cool.

Hopefully Ham puts up a full game run soon so we can properly see what the stages are like, although the 999 seconds thing amongst the other stuff is already pretty much a deal breaker.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm

New version of kov 3 coming out with the subtitle 'High Definition'. Some vids at the top of this search: http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E4% ... 8%E6%B8%85

Looks like the same piece of shit to me.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 am

Macaw wrote:New version of kov 3 coming out with the subtitle 'High Definition'. Some vids at the top of this search: http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E4% ... 8%E6%B8%85

Looks like the same piece of shit to me.

Probably would be better for sales since it looks like crap on all of these LCD cabs they put it on. While I was in Singapore this week, they had KOV3 linked on 2 wide LCDs but people were playing it. Meanwhile, KOV2NL and OL2 were on linked Blast City cabs.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 am

Did anyone here ever actually buy kov3 or otherwise play it much? As much as I give it shit it does have some super cool stuff, like the combo system, different weapons (guan yu wielding the huge axe looks awesome and causes many of the moves to actually have different animations) and the boss battles like that gigantic dude or the battle where you fight Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Sun Quan at the same time.

And apart from the extensive sprite reuse, its just the damn 999 seconds thing thats infuriating. If anyone played it some more info about that would be appreciated, all the vids on youku and stuff are never more than about 10 minutes.

If it actually only lets you do a single stage with each 'credit' then that would be pretty lol. The 999 second thing and all the stages lasting about 10 minutes kinda makes me think that. I never bothered this year keeping up with info on the game, but recently I've been playing a lot of PGM stuff again and have an ignited interest with whats happened with the PGM2 shit.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:24 am

Macaw wrote:Did anyone here ever actually buy kov3 or otherwise play it much? As much as I give it shit it does have some super cool stuff, like the combo system, different weapons (guan yu wielding the huge axe looks awesome and causes many of the moves to actually have different animations) and the boss battles like that gigantic dude or the battle where you fight Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Sun Quan at the same time.

And apart from the extensive sprite reuse, its just the damn 999 seconds thing thats infuriating. If anyone played it some more info about that would be appreciated, all the vids on youku and stuff are never more than about 10 minutes.

If it actually only lets you do a single stage with each 'credit' then that would be pretty lol. The 999 second thing and all the stages lasting about 10 minutes kinda makes me think that. I never bothered this year keeping up with info on the game, but recently I've been playing a lot of PGM stuff again and have an ignited interest with whats happened with the PGM2 shit.

I've only watched people play it since the units are always in use at the Bugis Junction arcade in Singapore. To me, it seems like a beat'em up turned into rogue game since all of the players seem to be more focused on grinding.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 am

Managed to find a 40+ minute direct capture vid! http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDM4NDE1NDI4.html

I got interested from seeing the video length but of course it just turns out to be the guy using more than 1 credit. Nothing stops the 999 second play limit, and thats what single handedly ruins this game. There is no sense of satisfaction from proper stage progression or anything, its just you select one of 20 or so stages and play them to level up and find better stuff for your character. The time limit is enough to clear about 2 and a half stages if your quick, and once the time runs out you just get a continue screen.

The future of any potential further pgm2 action games is useless if this is the model that IGS stick with.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 pm

The future of any potential further pgm2 action games is useless if this is the model that IGS stick with.

But not the profits, and that's all they care about.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 pm

I want a side scroller!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm

The KOV games are side scrollers!

Guess they decided to make the pgm3 series for all new high def releases (if there are any after kov3HD...)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Platformer then. Or, Jump Action?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Unfortunately Demon Front is likely going to be the only arcade platformer IGS ever produce. Not nearly enough depth in the genre for consumers now compared to the Diablo style shit their doing with KOV, which I would be happy with if it wasn't for the 999 second time limit bullshit which makes the games nothing but grinding.

What ever happened to the Contra remake Konami developed for non-JP asian markets? Seems like it got canceled ages ago?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:08 am

Macaw wrote:Unfortunately Demon Front is likely going to be the only arcade platformer IGS ever produce. Not nearly enough depth in the genre for consumers now compared to the Diablo style shit their doing with KOV, which I would be happy with if it wasn't for the 999 second time limit bullshit which makes the games nothing but grinding.

What ever happened to the Contra remake Konami developed for non-JP asian markets? Seems like it got canceled ages ago?

It came out but I didn't want to dump the same amount as a new Cave kit on it.
become history

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:09 am

Wait, really? The Asian Contra arcade remake was released? Is there a site for it? Videos? Better alert the Hardcore Gaming 101 crew.

This would also mean that Metal Slug 6 is no longer the final arcade platformer.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 am

I cant find any vids of it on Youku.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”