Captain Commando recent review.

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Captain Commando recent review.

Postby Recap » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:14 pm

Just a little correction, since this is one of my all-time fave games: The PS port is not made or published by Capcom, but by New, the guys behind Chippoke Ralph (a similar mistake was made in SS Bubble Symphony's review, if I recall). That should explain why it didn't appear on SS. The port is not perfect, thoe: it lacks the four players mode. My opinion: Unlimited credits are put there just for its arcade origin and for those who just want to see the whole game easily. Real players use no more than one credit, which is what make this game, as any other arcade game, enjoyable. We must rewrite precepts on this point, I'm seeing.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Captain Commando recent review.

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:16 am

Recap wrote:Just a little correction, since this is one of my all-time fave games: The PS port is not made or published by Capcom, but by New, the guys behind Chippoke Ralph
Yeah, I see that on the back cover now. I could've sworn I saw the Capcom splash screen when I started it up the other day... I'll have to pop that in and claim insanity if it ain't there.
(a similar mistake was made in SS Bubble Symphony's review, if I recall). That should explain why it didn't appear on SS. The port is not perfect, thoe: it lacks the four players mode.
I had no clue there was a 4-player Bubble anything. Always thought it was 2-players only. Was there only 4-player, or were there 2-player verisons as well?
My opinion: Unlimited credits are put there just for its arcade origin and for those who just want to see the whole game easily. Real players use no more than one credit, which is what make this game
There's just too many ways to interpret why they're there. Some developers do time-released credits, others don't. I personally don't like unlimited credits. I don't have days on-end to spend practicing one game to get good enough to one-credit it. I simply have WAY too many games to get to a one-credit skill for all of them, or even a large portion of them. I really don't have enough time to play all of them, but those are the breaks. If one-credit was "the only way to play a game", then that would be the way only way they're played/made.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:46 pm

Misunderstood. I was refering to the confusion with the game's maker. SS Bubble Symphony was made and published by Ving, but the site's review seems to imply it was Taito the one behind it.
That's probably just a careless error. Without looking at the cover, I'm pretty sure that it has Ving plastered on it.
I'm sorry for this idiotic-like reply, but "ruined-by-unlimited-credits" type comments are usual in lame mainstream media reviews and it hurts reading that from yourself. The worst part here is that if you just abandoned this game for having finished it the first go, you're actually missing one of the best concepts for a Final Fight type game ever created which shines when you try to one-credit it. Sorry again, you know I appreciate you.
I wouldn't say it's "ruined" by a long shot... I just have little faith in the gamers of today. People that frequent sites like this, TNL, and The Lost Levels are pretty few and far between. While I think most people can think for themselves, I don't think that a developer forcing difficulty on the players is necessarily a bad thing... that's all. I rarely abandon a game just b/c it can be credit-fed. On the contrary, I've been playing Espgulda quite a bit. I use stage-select for practice more than credit-feeding the whole game, that's for sure. I can get to stage 4 on 1CC easily, and to stage 5 by the end of 2CC... just get destroyed after that though.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:15 am

Question: does the PS version have any extras? Anyway, glad to meet another big CapCom fan. Many say it's a mediocre game but I feel that the atmosphere in this game is simply top-notch, not to mention I'm a fan of beat-em-ups. I also prefer limited continues (or perhaps unlimited but with checkpoints) so newbies can't continue-spam their way to a win. But I still love games with unlimited continue-where-you-died console conversions like Strider 2. Getting a high score easily separates the experts from the trainees in such cases.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:39 am

Recap wrote:
Misunderstood. I was refering to the confusion with the game's maker. SS Bubble Symphony was made and published by Ving, but the site's review seems to imply it was Taito the one behind it.
That's probably just a careless error. Without looking at the cover, I'm pretty sure that it has Ving plastered on it.
I'm sorry for this idiotic-like reply, but "ruined-by-unlimited-credits" type comments are usual in lame mainstream media reviews and it hurts reading that from yourself. The worst part here is that if you just abandoned this game for having finished it the first go, you're actually missing one of the best concepts for a Final Fight type game ever created which shines when you try to one-credit it. Sorry again, you know I appreciate you.
I wouldn't say it's "ruined" by a long shot... I just have little faith in the gamers of today. People that frequent sites like this, TNL, and The Lost Levels are pretty few and far between. While I think most people can think for themselves, I don't think that a developer forcing difficulty on the players is necessarily a bad thing... that's all. I rarely abandon a game just b/c it can be credit-fed. On the contrary, I've been playing Espgulda quite a bit. I use stage-select for practice more than credit-feeding the whole game, that's for sure. I can get to stage 4 on 1CC easily, and to stage 5 by the end of 2CC... just get destroyed after that though.
What happened?!? My post did vanished and yours has my name??
Question: does the PS version have any extras? Anyway, glad to meet another big CapCom fan. Many say it's a mediocre game but I feel that the atmosphere in this game is simply top-notch, not to mention I'm a fan of beat-em-ups.
No extras, but finding a 3 players option in the PS version speaks about the care and hard work New put in the conversion. There's not another Final Fight type game with this option on any home system (no, Guardian Heroes does not count). The game is really special. The graphic style, the animation, the music and the gameplay are from Capcom's best moment. People use to forget this is a 1991 game. I also like the game's atmosphere. It's a clear homage to creators as Frank R. Paul and their classic sci-fi works. I love Capcom's fascination for American culture and their interpretations and this is one of their best.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:58 pm

Recap: Sorry -- my fault. I hit "EDIT" instaed of "QUOTE". It happens... it's ALWAYS available when you're a moderator. My mistake... I think you can still make out what happened, as I quoted a lot of your message. Sorry. :(
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:55 am

I never really played captain commando that much. Back in capcoms beat em up day, the only games I was really obsessed with (and still am to some degree through emulation) Are the fantasy beat em ups (namely King of Dragons and Knights of the Round) Tis a pity that they didnt get psx releases (did they?) Because the snes ports are too cut down. Also, for some reason I played ridiculous amounts of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs...Dont know why.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:05 pm

Theres no other capcom beat um ups from "the golden era" that have been ported to psx beside Captain Commando and Tenchi Wo Kurau 2.

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:07 pm

Capcom should release a Beat um up collection with all the arcade ports (since the actual arcade boards themselves self destruct) for ps2 or something.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:27 am

There's away around that self-destruct mechanism. I'd be more interested in their CPS1 games as opposed to CPS2. Tenchi wo Kurau (I) for instance.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:11 am

I think the unlimited continues are a good thing. Most of the real players will try to one credit it. Although it's still nice if you want to just see the game or you don't have the time to get good enough to one credit. The later applies to me. It's also nice if it has an option to save your data after each level as some of those beat em ups are too long for me to play in one setting. I'll agree with you about the CPS1 versus CPS2. I use to play the hell out of them on Callus. I remember when Capcom started cracking down on the rom sites shortly before they released there Capcom Generations. Not to mention there's very few CPS 2 games I cared about. when D&D Collection was released on the Saturn I cared even less if they ever got any of those CPS 2 boards emulated.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:56 pm

While I agree in the CP-S vs CP-S II thing (CP-S games wrote Capcom's style precepts), some CP-S II (and even CP-S III) games are perfect evolutions of Capcom's style and concepts, Shadow over Mystara, 19XX and Alien vs Predator being some of them. We also cannot forget that the CP-S II supports superlative games like Progear no Arashi or Great Mahou Daisakusen, probably Cave and Raizing's best moments. Now, please, GP, let me know what makes of Tenchi wo Kurau such a special game. I've always failed to see it.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:52 pm

Now, please, GP, let me know what makes of Tenchi wo Kurau such a special game. I've always failed to see it.
Nostalgia more than anything... this is one of the first beat 'em ups that I really enjoyed, even though I thought the theme was a bit cheesy. Since Tenchi wo Kurau II is already on the Saturn and PSX, I mentioned the first one. Also, they seem to have no qualms about porting CPS2 stuff, but the old school stuff seems to lie in emulation (Tenchi wo Kurau I for example) I don't think CPS2 or 3 is bad by any stretch... I just find much fewer games that I like, and CPS2 is emulated very well in Kawa/KawaX

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:09 pm

Tenchi Wo kurau 1 was released on pc engine and the ultra rare SFC version.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:15 pm

Yeah, I know, but neither are close to arcade perfect. That was back in the time when there was a huge chance than a port from an arcade meant crap, and even if it was a good game, it would be nowhere near as good (graphcially) as the arcade.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:05 pm

Tenchi Wo kurau 1 was released on pc engine and the ultra rare SFC version.
The SFC version is not an arcade port, but a strategy game, if I recall. This series is based on a comic from the guy who designed the character Strider Hiryuu. There's also a GB Tenchi wo Kurau game, I think.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:09 pm

The Famicom version is the RPG... the SFC version (the rarest of the Tenchi wo Kurau games) is an arcade port. I'm 90% sure, as I've never played either (only heard).

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:20 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:The Famicom version is the RPG... the SFC version (the rarest of the Tenchi wo Kurau games) is an arcade port. I'm 90% sure, as I've never played either (only heard).
Seems you're wrong: Image (Notice it's even called differently: Tenchi wo Kurau: Sangokushi Gunyuuden).

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:23 am

The only Snes Tenshi Wo kurau I've seen is the stretegy one. There's also 2 Famicom games. I've never seen the Snes version assuming it exists. Your probably better to play it through arcade emulation assuming it's emulated

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:19 am

Recap: Yep, you're right. The one time I saw it was only the front cover, and didn't bother reading teh subtitle. I do know the Famicom port(s?) are RPG. Wonder how good the SFC one is... might need to give it a whirl.

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:55 pm

Im pretty sure there is a port of the arcade version as well as the strategy game. I believe my friend has it cart only Ill try and get some pics/screenshots.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:54 pm

The stretegy one didn't look that great.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:00 pm

CaptainAmazing wrote:Im pretty sure there is a port of the arcade version as well as the strategy game. I believe my friend has it cart only Ill try and get some pics/screenshots.
Nope. The SFC list on my website includes the full Capcom releases ('cept Soccer Shootout) and there's only a Tenchi wo Kurau for this system.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:04 am

Agreed w/ Recap... every search I've done only turns up one title for the SFC... I've only recently been able to see the back of the box. So would that make the PC-Engine version the only beat-'em-up verion console version out there?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:03 am

Yes. I also asked about it on the old board and Grant said the PCE CD version was the only port.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”