retro purchase shy cock :/

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

retro purchase shy cock :/

Postby dcharlie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 pm

So - today it happened . I retro purchase shy cocked.
shou pretty much got a "5 minute after rundown" at which he laughed at.

I had the cash in hand , and i went to aki at lunch...

I was going to drop the cash on Eliminate Down.
Sub 3man.
it was there.

i got the guy to get it out of the cabinet, and i just couldn't do it.
:(
the only other time i can remember this happening was with a dual spike out set up but that was SILLY$

any other "games purchase shy willy" events?
all i could see was my baby, pound signs, and the notion of how DUMB a purchase this was, which is weird as i REALLY have been meaning to buy this for an age :/
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:19 pm

I was in Friends. Saw a Magical Drop 2 Bunka Housou version for a mere 9,000 yen. I was shocked, couldn't believe it. She pulled it out, I saw the other zero, and chuckled. It was half price down the street at at least 2 places.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:26 pm

was in Friends. Saw a Magical Drop 2 Bunka Housou version for a mere 9,000 yen. I was shocked, couldn't believe it. She pulled it out, I saw the other zero, and chuckled. It was half price down the street at at least 2 places

hahaha - yeah, i think my year or so out of retro has made me completely out of touch with prices and a lot of them seem absolutely insane.

all i really kept was shooters , so i've been adding the odd game here and there. Part of it is driven by the fact that i like the form factor and the box arts, which is admittedly a bit lame, but hey.

Fun that one of my favourite MD games (Vermillion) is the country's bargain bin whore! 50 yen?! really?!

and yeah, friends prices seem to have gone nuts too. Somewhat weirded out by the fact that Super potato prices seem decent in comparison. Think i'll be giving Galaxy and the local retro bin my trade, though even galaxy prices are going up :/ perhaps a trip to Osaka is in order ?

also - when did wild guns become a 10k plus game?! the fiiirk?! I don't want to think about what i sold it for... or other stuff. :/
Beautiful Burnout

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:28 pm

hmmm - at this late hour, almost laughably having "why did i not buy it!?" feelings.

ffs.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Wild Guns has been up there for a while. I've kind of given up on game shops... I think their prices all suck for the most part. Friends is a head scratcher. It's "away" from the main drag, yet, they list stuff as if they're right in the middle. I've not stepped foot in there for years.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I was in Friends. Saw a Magical Drop 2 Bunka Housou version for a mere 9,000 yen. I was shocked, couldn't believe it. She pulled it out, I saw the other zero, and chuckled. It was half price down the street at at least 2 places.

Hehe, I think I remember. That was when we went there after AOU.

Only purchase I ever wussed out on was a CPSII Changer. I do not regret it.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:30 am

Yep, pretty sure that was it.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:19 am

dcharlie wrote:hmmm - at this late hour, almost laughably having "why did i not buy it!?" feelings.

ffs.

your peak is behind you, its all downhill from here mate.. :conf:

naah serieously, not having the need to purchase overpriced luxuary items can only be seen as healthy.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:53 am

Not like I don't have the means to buy the premium priced titles but I think very few are actually worth the price. Even with PCBs, I don't go very crazy and buy new kits.
become history

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Yeah, i didn't go completely nuts with PCB purchases, except for the odd one which were usually for the missus.

Anyways, spent the time between the ball-of-fun screaming his head off last night to hack the wii. Dunno what it is about the homebrew emus on wii, they are really good (Mame an exception - 10 minute load times isn't fun)
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:47 am

Shou wrote: I don't go very crazy and buy new kits.

I think those days are behind me. I only did it twice. Once, I was living abroad so arcade play was impossible. The other time... well, busy w/ the kid and life, so once again, arcade play was quite impossible.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:03 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Shou wrote: I don't go very crazy and buy new kits.

I think those days are behind me. I only did it twice. Once, I was living abroad so arcade play was impossible. The other time... well, busy w/ the kid and life, so once again, arcade play was quite impossible.

I bought every CAVE SH3 game released brand new except Mushihimesama and DDPDFK. :?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:17 am

New isn't the issue here... it's whether you paid the full retail price or not. I think I've bought them all new at one time or another other than Mushi. Only two were full price.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:26 am

"New" is the issue here, as that is all that was mentioned in this thread. I've only bought one game brand new on release.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:14 am

EOJ wrote:"New" is the issue here

Read the thread again. Price is the issue... or new on release at least. If you buy a sealed game for 100 yen, nobody would be bothered. I'm sure Shou has thrown down some big dough for rare boards... but 220,000 yen or so for a board that is guaranteed to go down is entirely another story.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:06 am

or new on release at least.

Ok. You added this nugget in after my post, but you don't seem to want to admit that, so whatever. :)

I was only talking about new Cave kits. And just because I didn't buy many on release doesn't mean they weren't expensive.

Sorry for the OT guys.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:34 am

They definitely aren't cheap... but a Cave kit at $1000 is still half price, and they usually (hopefully if you're on the buying end) don't go down too much more... and generally do so quite slowly.

I don't know if I could pay serious cash for console games any more. There's only a few that rarely turn up. As dumb as it sounds, I think the money is better spent on memorabilia that not anyone could just go and buy from a shop. Of course it will just clutter up my room.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:00 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Read the thread again. Price is the issue... or new on release at least. If you buy a sealed game for 100 yen, nobody would be bothered. I'm sure Shou has thrown down some big dough for rare boards... but 220,000 yen or so for a board that is guaranteed to go down is entirely another story.

Y60k (Gain Ground + Crackdown + System 24 mobo) is the highest I've gone with several instances of 30-35k or so. Although, I did buy Neo Geo carts brand new back in the day at $240 a pop.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Shou wrote:Y60k (Gain Ground + Crackdown + System 24 mobo) is the highest I've gone with several instances of 30-35k or so. Although, I did buy Neo Geo carts brand new back in the day at $240 a pop.

And how many PCBs do you have. :P

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:07 pm

I'll always remember the day I bought my Metal Slug AES cart. The part-timer behind the counter rang it up like nothing special. Then the price came up and his eyes totally blew out of his head. He then thought the machine was broken and called the manager to price check it. I just stood there with a smile. :)

Currently I'm debating about an Overtop AES cart. I love the game and want to buy it so bad, but damn about 60,000 for a game that can be beaten in 3.50 minutes.... :cry:
Stronger then your average deadite

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Where did you buy the Metal Slug?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:47 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:And how many PCBs do you have. :P

Let's not go there....my DB says around 350....
become history

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Where did you buy the Metal Slug?

The Kyoto branch of A-Too.
Stronger then your average deadite

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:39 am

ugh, so much for that.

Went for a few drinks then ended up picking up Eliminate Down, though not at such a rediculous price due to a slightly bleached spine.

What a spaz :/
Beautiful Burnout

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 pm

SuperDeadite wrote:
Gaijin Punch wrote:Where did you buy the Metal Slug?

The Kyoto branch of A-Too.

Isn't that next to the southern big Kawaramachi crossing near the centre? I think I recall finding it as A-Too on the map but the sign was from the Famicom Shop franchise.

Anyway, if that was the shop, how did you manage to buy a Metal Slug there? When I looked around I couldn't spot a shit but overpriced, incomplete copies of bulksale games. :conf:

Return to “Japanese Video Games”