Beatdowns in Techno City: The Denjin Makai Series Thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 am

That's the poster from Gamest I was stitching together. Mine's a bit different... and not color corrected. :)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:23 pm

hehe

But still I cant believe it was done by Go Nagai. He's upper tier in the manga world and cant even think of any other games he's done stuff for. I guess Banpresto was a bit of a powerhouse back then though...
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Snake Plissken
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Snake Plissken » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Great thread Macaws, i didn't know this amazing game. Thanks!
Go Nagai did some work in the VG industry though...for example i remember that the character design for Chykiu Senshi Rayeza for the PC-88 (released for NES with the name of Ginga no Sannin) was done by Mr. Nagai himself.
Also there are a couple of games based on the Nagai works, like CB Chara Wars for the SNES (a nice beat-em up) or Legend of Dynamic for the GBA (which is a sequel of the Legend of Dynamic for the SNES, i guess).
-Take me away from the light, sweet creature of the night...

-Life's a bitch and then you live - Michael Monroe

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:05 am

Macaw do you have any cool Tulks MAME inputs for DM2?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:16 am

I think I recall seeing a Japanese one years ago, but there it was nothing special. But Tulks has a lot of crazy shit, including an infinite air throw combo provided you have a wall, which reminds me...

One of the things I eventually planned to write about in this thread was the rank system of Guardians, where basically if you do a single huge combo the rank increases (I think doing a 30 hit combo or so maxed the rank out, I did lots of testing some time back) And with high rank you basically fight about twice as many enemies as normal, giving the game some much needed extra challenge.

Usually I wouldn't mind if an arcade game was a bit on the easy side, but being the brawler with the most moves, most dynamic combo system, such a huge cast of characters and such a huge attention to detail with the visuals, the game needed a lot more difficulty in order to properly utilize the amazing system and amount of content available. So yeah maxing the rank out helps it out a bit in that regard, and the first opportunity to do this for most of the characters is on the first boss.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:56 am

Yeah I remember doing two air throws in a row but I figured it was because one was jumping forward and one upward. Is this what you're talking about?

Also I saw a video of Tulks doing a powerbomb with a blue trail and a counter combo where he changes faces or something. How do I do that? :)

Started experimenting with Rou too. I like like his scoop up dash attack.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Yeah you get them against a wall at the right angle then keep throwing them and they bounce back for you to do it again. I did it like 50+ times on the first boss.

To do the running powerbomb you have to do Tulks' special grab first, which if I remember correctly is done by holding down A and pressing forward twice I think, then once grabbed you press AB. There is a pretty exhaustive moves list for all characters at gamefaqs which you should check out.

And yeah Rou is fun with all his electric cord and shit. Jinrei is also pretty damn fun to use once you start jumping around on peoples heads and air throwing them. The sheer quantity of characters and how fleshed out they all are with all their shit just shows how much effort was put into the game. I'm still dumbfounded its so damn obscure, if Banpresto really did distribute a lot of their arcade stuff so little, then you have to wonder why Winky Soft would even develop a sequel to the first game unless it was some kind of cult hit at the time it was released.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:05 am

Why don't you make some replays? Can you no-miss it?

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 am

Awesome stage 2 boss strategy discovered with Tulks!:
When he first jumps in from the background grab him and take him as far to the right as you can (I think it helps to space out the 2 grapple attacks) then neutral powerbomb and juggle with the walking combo. After the final hit of the walking combo immediately do one of the geta projectiles and he'll land on it when he teleports down, allowing you to juggle with the walking combo again. You can repeat this cycle until he's too far off screen to the left, and by that time 75% of his health is gone.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:17 pm

JoshF wrote:Why don't you make some replays? Can you no-miss it?

I've never made a replay, maybe eventually. I've cleared it before (not with high rank) but never done a no-miss.

Cool boss strategy, which reminds me, apart from looking at the quantity of enemies in stage 2 the easiest way to judge rank is seeing how many shadows the 2nd boss creates when he does the multiple shadows thing. If I remember correctly 3 shadows is low rank and 8 is the highest.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 pm

There are still some bugs, but the sound now works for Denjin Makai in the newest version of mame (0.140u3)

Everyone crank your volume and get blasted by the voice in the attract that says the game title.

Also everyone play this game

If you don't then you suck

And don't forget the best boss name ever, 'Black Man'.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:32 pm

He must wear these...

...and yes, I was just thinking to myself today it's about time they got this game working.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sat May 07, 2011 8:41 pm

I've been playing Guardians a bunch lately, and I only now realized that there are selectable stages.

That's, what, three new stages that I haven't seen? And this game was already awesome!

Also, using Girulian and bulldogging the dog trainer at the beginning of stage one might be the best part of each credit.

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 pm

What is the kanji/hirgana/katakana/whatever for Denjin Makai?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 am

loempiavreter wrote:What is the kanji/hirgana/katakana/whatever for Denjin Makai?

窶彭ツ神窶凪
become history

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Fri May 27, 2011 1:28 am

Shou wrote:
loempiavreter wrote:What is the kanji/hirgana/katakana/whatever for Denjin Makai?

窶彭ツ神窶凪

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: Beatdowns in Techno City: The Denjin Makai Series Thread

Postby undamned » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Inadvertently found a "plus" version of Guardians. Some guy had 2 original boards and I told him I'd take both (price was right). He e-mailed back asking if it was ok that one game was a normal version and the other was a "plus" version. I was like "No! Keep your stupid 'plus' version that nobody even talks about!" J/K. I was pretty excited. Will post more when it arrives.
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 am

I'm I the only loser here that's not familiar w/ the plus version?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:15 am

Must be a ROM hack.
become history

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 am

Shou wrote:Must be a ROM hack.

We'll find out! :D
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm

The special version is that hack where pressing the start button changes your character. Theres been quite a few from drkitty on ebay over the last few years.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 am

Been playing Guardians/DMII seriously for the first time. It is the only belt scrolling beatemup that has left me fully, truly satisfied, where I can't easily think of anything else they could have done to make it better. (Besides perhaps making the useless characters less useless, and toning down Skullbyule a bit.) Long combos, incredible artwork, a huge playable cast, tons of moves, vertical dodge, weapon items, gun attacks, creative bosses, two different desperation attacks (one of which doesn't drain health)...they didn't leave anything out. It sucks that this never saw any kind of wide release; DM1 at least made it onto the Super Famicom under a different title. I guess the genre was in popular decline at the time.

How do you do the supers, besides needing red health and a full special bar?
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Yeah amazing game, my only problem is a lack of difficulty, though you can max out the rank and make the game heaps harder by doing a single large combo (I think I explained this somewhere previously in this thread).

Specials are done when your name in the status bar is flashing. Look at the movelist at gamefaqs for all the moves.

One of the things about the game which shows the sheer insane level of detail put into it is just the special animation stuff CONSTANTLY happening to introduce the enemies. Even playing the game now I'm spotting new things I've ever seen before. Pay careful attention to the backgrounds and the ways the enemies enter the screen and you'll see what I mean.

The most recent one I spotted was during the elevator descent in the last stage various enemies slide down the cliff to jump on the elevator and fight you, but at one point there are some fat guys that try sliding down but just fall and roll to the bottom. Other fun moments are the different colored infantry that appear at one point in a sentai formation, fat guys on hoverboards in the train stage that fall down in the background because of their weight, the guy building a card pyramid in stage 1 only to have it topple when your character busts through the wall, the couple about to have sex inside one of the destructible park sets in the background in the theme park stage, you could write a frikkin thesis on the all details in the fuckn game.

Theres also the mysterious squid thats hidden in each stage. No idea what the story is with him... I wonder if there is still stuff to discover in the game.

I cant believe the developers put so many details into a game that had such limited distribution. The team that developed it over at Winky Soft were some pretty damn crazy and talented people.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 pm

The alligator head enemies that spit eggs are probably my favorites in a belt scroller.

Why were WinkySoft's talents always wasted on Super Robot Taisen and licensed anime crap? With a better budget, they would clearly have been good enough to go up against Capcom/Konami/Taito/SNK in the arcade market.

Worth mentioning that Denjin Makai 1's "Go!" voice sample is swiped from Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 am

Just found out about the alternate stage selections! Hard to tell with the emulation problems. Smashing things up in Lilliputan land is awesome. The Wild West/graveyard/space shooting gallery bonus stage is a work of art. Too bad that all the bosses are recycled, though. I guess another area where the game is lacking is the boss selection. The final boss isn't easy (aside from his first form), but more of a pushover than the last encounter should be.

How do you do Tulks' kick super? Every time I do the command a flaming geta projectile comes out.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Return to “Japanese Video Games”