Beatdowns in Techno City: The Denjin Makai Series Thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Beatdowns in Techno City: The Denjin Makai Series Thread

Postby Macaw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 am

Yeah its crazy how they did a totally different scene for the 2 different shooting gallery bonus stages, and both are filled with unique graphics and details.

A quarter circle forward motion with tulks does the projectile, so try do the input presses separately without rolling the motion.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:27 am

I love how every character uses their own unique weapon for the shooting galleries. Any idea if Stretchy Pink Boss is male or female?

Tulks actually has two projectiles, a fire and a lightning one. (There's ice attacks too, do some enemies have elemental weaknesses?) The command for the former is back + forward while holding A, not a quarter circle. That's the one I keep getting. I don't roll the stick when doing the motion either.

Why were Banpresto's arcade games so poorly distributed? They were a big company with some powerful licenses (Gundam, Macross, Sailor Moon to name a few) behind them. It's strange that something like a Gundam game would be so rare. Was it just because their licensed games were largely crap?
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 am

I just tried it out for a minute, Tulks' super move is done by pressing up, back, down, forward while holding A, make sure you aren't doing up, down, back, forward by mistake.

The first boss is a man, a parody on 'macho' body builders. I think also I remember in the graphics data you can access in the service menu there are unused boss name graphics.

As for Banpresto's limited releases of their arcade stuff, I guess it was probably because they didn't want to risk too much in the arcade market. Their main focus was the hundreds of titles they were releasing all over the home consoles at the time.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:38 am

Thanks! The Gamefaqs guide says that Tulks' head turns into that of a Japanese wrestler during the kick super, any idea which ones?
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 am

It actually changes his head 3 times for each hit, I only recognize Tiger Mask for the last hit, but the first looks like it could be Giant Baba.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:25 am

Did some DMII multiplayer today (Skullbyule + Tulks). Cooperative combos are great fun. It makes things a good deal easier, including the bonus stages. At certain places where health items drop, the game will give you two of the same item if you're doing 2-player.

It seems there's a limit to how many enemies Skullbyule can spear with his elbow spike super at once. I hit a huge cluster of enemies straight on with it and only four got hit.

Tulks is a really powerful character, he's just difficult to use. I think after all that Rou is the only character whose tools aren't up to par with the rest.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:43 am

Hi all - I'm brand new 'round these parts. Nice to be here.

Anyway, do any of you have pictures of the pcb's from this series? I've seen a couple of different boards online for DM2, but I'm not really sure what's legit and what's a conversion or bootleg. I think I've seen a few conversions from Mobile Suit Gundam EX Revue. What does the original board look like? The board should be labelled "P-FG01-1", right?

Also, I can't seem to find ANY pictures of the Denjin Makai 1 board, though I've looked pretty hard. Maybe I just don't have the right skills or I'm looking in all the wrong places.

I've been playing DM1 via mame, and I like it a lot - such a well done game. I'm not going to move on to DM2 until I've had my fill of the original, but the sequel looks like it's incredibly advanced and I'm really excited for it.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 am

Sup bro. Guardians boards have been seen all over ebay the last few years but all of them are Korean or the bootleg version or such, the original Japanese version is extremely rare, along with DM1. Shou has both, he might be able to help you out.

Igakajook wrote:I've been playing DM1 via mame, and I like it a lot - such a well done game. I'm not going to move on to DM2 until I've had my fill of the original, but the sequel looks like it's incredibly advanced and I'm really excited for it.

Yeah Denjin Makai kicks ass. Takes elements from all other belt action games and throws it all into a cool cyberpunk setting. I actually think the original is better than the sequel in many ways (MUCH more challenge, longer, fleshed out storyline with the conversations and unique endings for each character, and the combat is much more tactical and grapple oriented)

Sequel of course has its advantages though, with the insane combo system, huge playable cast that all have more moves than any other game in the genre, and better artwork along with the ridiculous attention to visual details throughout the entire game.

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 am

Macaw wrote:Guardians boards have been seen all over ebay the last few years but all of them are Korean or the bootleg version or such, the original Japanese version is extremely rare, along with DM1.

Is there a known bootleg of DM1? Also, how can I spot the fake DM2's?

It's funny to me that I can't seem to put my finger on what it is about Denjin Makai that makes me enjoy it so much. It just feels right, you know? I like the graphics and the moves and all that, but there's something else that makes the game truely a joy to me. Maybe it's the extra detail and polish and attention that seems to have been put in to everything.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am

Igakajook wrote:
Macaw wrote:Guardians boards have been seen all over ebay the last few years but all of them are Korean or the bootleg version or such, the original Japanese version is extremely rare, along with DM1.

Is there a known bootleg of DM1? Also, how can I spot the fake DM2's?

It's funny to me that I can't seem to put my finger on what it is about Denjin Makai that makes me enjoy it so much. It just feels right, you know? I like the graphics and the moves and all that, but there's something else that makes the game truely a joy to me. Maybe it's the extra detail and polish and attention that seems to have been put in to everything.

There aren't bootlegs of each I've seen, just Korean productions using different parts.
become history

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 am

Interesting and good to know - thanks. Why does that happen? Were the games very popular anywhere when they were first released?

I really wish there were more information available on the net in English for this series. I can't even find a move list for Denjin Makai. I guess its newish mame availability might eventually change things. I started trying out some moves from a faq for Ghost Chaser, and that turned out to be pretty helpful. I know some moves were added, but was there anything move-wise that was removed from the port?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 am

I dunno about the Korean arcade industry back then and whether or not the Japanese companies distributed the Korean versions themselves or not, but I suppose there was really nothing to lose with the games already being developed. I also suppose the DM games had a cult following but obviously nothing big, due to the massive decline of arcade action games at the time and Banpresto's minor distribution.

No moves missing from the SFC version of Denjin I don't think. Main differences are just the 3 missing playable characters, a missing stage, and the cut down graphics which most importantly mean you only fight about 3 dudes at once instead of 10 :) Various changes in the storyline as well.

The belt scroll fansite Lazy Grazy used to have a movelist before it disappeared from the net. Archive is here: http://web.archive.org/web/201009230001 ... denjin.txt

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 am

Igakajook wrote:Interesting and good to know - thanks. Why does that happen? Were the games very popular anywhere when they were first released?

I think it's more of a case where the game wasn't popular in Japan due to the fighter genre and polygon boom of the time. Games like this, Gaia Crusaders and Dyna Gear didn't fare well with the latter 2 not getting domestic releases.

A number of companies outsourced production to Korea and HK for their games. You'll find that English language Banpresto published PCBs of that period are more common in Korea than any other Asian country.
become history

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 am

Macaw wrote:The belt scroll fansite Lazy Grazy used to have a movelist before it disappeared from the net. Archive is here: http://web.archive.org/web/201009230001 ... denjin.txt

Wow, cool. Thanks!

Macaw wrote:Main differences are just the 3 missing playable characters, a missing stage, and the cut down graphics which most importantly mean you only fight about 3 dudes at once instead of 10 :) Various changes in the storyline as well.

Anyone that would prefer fight 3 people over 10 shouldn't be playing video games from this genre :)

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 am

Shou wrote:I think it's more of a case where the game wasn't popular in Japan due to the fighter genre and polygon boom of the time. Games like this, Gaia Crusaders and Dyna Gear didn't fare well with the latter 2 not getting domestic releases.

A number of companies outsourced production to Korea and HK for their games. You'll find that English language Banpresto published PCBs of that period are more common in Korea than any other Asian country.

I wish I knew stuff like this - many thanks! I can't find info like this anywhere on the net! Awesome!

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:57 am

Igakajook wrote:
Shou wrote:I think it's more of a case where the game wasn't popular in Japan due to the fighter genre and polygon boom of the time. Games like this, Gaia Crusaders and Dyna Gear didn't fare well with the latter 2 not getting domestic releases.

I wish I knew stuff like this - many thanks! I can't find info like this anywhere on the net! Awesome!

NP, the list of "common" Korean releases for Banpresto PCBs are Air Gallet, Denjin Makai II, Gundhara, Metamoqester and Sailor Moon. All of these games are extremely rare in Japan right now except for Sailor Moon which always is in the $350+ range. Thinking about it, I have only seen original Denjin Makai 1 boards even in Korea.
become history

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 am

Shou wrote:NP, the list of "common" Korean releases for Banpresto PCBs are Air Gallet, Denjin Makai II, Gundhara, Metamoqester and Sailor Moon. All of these games are extremely rare in Japan right now except for Sailor Moon which always is in the $350+ range. Thinking about it, I have only seen original Denjin Makai 1 boards even in Korea.

So do the Korean boards ever make their way over to Japan at all? Does that happen?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 am

I guess it would be a cheap alternative to play these rare games without emulation :) I think I've seen a couple of Korean boards on YAJ but dudes that are hardcore enough to have a supergun setup instead of just playing the games on MAME likely just want the originals. I have no interest with Korean boards of Japanese games myself, unless they're exclusive to the region like DynaGear.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 am

Igakajook wrote:
Shou wrote:NP, the list of "common" Korean releases for Banpresto PCBs are Air Gallet, Denjin Makai II, Gundhara, Metamoqester and Sailor Moon. All of these games are extremely rare in Japan right now except for Sailor Moon which always is in the $350+ range. Thinking about it, I have only seen original Denjin Makai 1 boards even in Korea.

So do the Korean boards ever make their way over to Japan at all? Does that happen?

There used to be some Korean sellers on Yahoo but they did a number of things that are considered no-nos in Japan and have since been put on black lists so no one really buys from them. They've since moved to eBay.
become history

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 am

In regards to Banpresto pcbs... What does a legit Japanese Oni go for these days? I'm guessing a lot as I've never seen one. :(
Stronger then your average deadite

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 am

SuperDeadite wrote:In regards to Banpresto pcbs... What does a legit Japanese Oni go for these days? I'm guessing a lot as I've never seen one. :(

Around the 25k mark last time I saw one but been awhile...
become history

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 am

Just to say, I know there are two legit revisions of Denjin Makai II/Guardians PCB's floating about (and I've had both at once), but this game must be bootlegged out the ass because I discovered three local arcades that have it here in the South of China.

I know these places have a vast majority of legit stuff running, but I sincerely doubt they all coughed up big money for Guardians (I respect their fine taste in gaming, regardless.)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 am

Shou wrote:There used to be some Korean sellers on Yahoo but they did a number of things that are considered no-nos in Japan and have since been put on black lists so no one really buys from them. They've since moved to eBay.

I'm way too curious to not ask what they did...

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

skykid wrote:Just to say, I know there are two legit revisions of Denjin Makai II/Guardians PCB's floating about (and I've had both at once), but this game must be bootlegged out the ass because I discovered three local arcades that have it here in the South of China.

How would you identify these boards, if you don't mind me asking?

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Igakajook wrote:
skykid wrote:Just to say, I know there are two legit revisions of Denjin Makai II/Guardians PCB's floating about (and I've had both at once), but this game must be bootlegged out the ass because I discovered three local arcades that have it here in the South of China.

How would you identify these boards, if you don't mind me asking?

Which, the bootlegs or the revisions? The boots are just a stab in the dark, too many of them in one place for such a desirable board.

The revisions: one is the more common that turns up on yhj, has a second platform iirc. The other is flat, but the general layout is very similar. Ran it by shou who identified the allumer chips and other features that lean toward legitimacy. It bears such strong similarity to the DM1 board shou said it could be that Banpresto revised some leftovers to make some DM2's.

Pics of both versions are floating around Google somewhere.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”