[PSP] Darius Burst

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

[PSP] Darius Burst

Postby lordnikon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:05 pm

A brand new Darius game is coming to the PSP. I am a huge Darius fan. So this has me excited.

I consider the GBA SP or Nintendo DS to be better plaforms for playing shooters because of the clam shell designs. I can hold my hands and angle the screen just right, where as on the PSP its like you are playing with a screen in your controller. Not that many other systems in the past like the Game Gear weren't any different. I just like the clam shell better for shooters. So I can understand how some of you will be like "bah.. portable... psp... crappy situation!!"

Though I have my PSP setup so its routed to my SDTV through a scan convertor, and I can use an arcade stick on it. I have a flawless setup to enjoy this game.

Also, the PSP means a retail release. This means tangeable merchandise and not some downloaded game from XBLA or PSN that is only playable for the lifespan of your console or the service you acquired it from. Would I have loved to see this on PS2? Yes. However there has been a big shift in Japan lately for cheap development, shifting from the PS2 to the PSP. So I can understand why it is coming to the PSP in the first place.

ZUNTATA is also supposedly onboard (yes!!!)

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:47 pm

At least with the PSP's widescreen design, they can do something slightly approximating the multi-monitor setup of some (all? Not too familiar with Darius) of the arcade titles.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: [PSP] Darius Burst

Postby sven666 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:18 pm

lordnikon wrote:
Though I have my PSP setup so its routed to my SDTV through a scan convertor, and I can use an arcade stick on it. I have a flawless setup to enjoy this game.

tell me more? specifics please :)
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Greatsaintlouis wrote:At least with the PSP's widescreen design, they can do something slightly approximating the multi-monitor setup of some (all? Not too familiar with Darius) of the arcade titles.

My thoughts, exactly :)

Maybe some Ninja Warriors and Rastan love, too :)
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:34 pm

lordnikon wrote:ZUNTATA is also supposedly onboard (yes!!!)

Yeah, best part of the news!

I wouldn't call for Rastan love too loud @ud, they might release a sequel if they hear you :conf:

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Greatsaintlouis wrote:At least with the PSP's widescreen design, they can do something slightly approximating the multi-monitor setup of some (all? Not too familiar with Darius) of the arcade titles.

The multi-monitor setup was enormous for Darius. See this flyer for the original Darius to see just how much ground this game covered. It used 3 screens:

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/untold_tales/episode_3/darius_b.jpg

There were also some Darius II setups that used 2 screens:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2333/1615509851_49b0b6ad90.jpg?v=0

With the PSP, it looks like they can cover a little over 2/3rd's of a dual 4:3 screen setup.

sven666 wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

tell me more? specifics please :)

Here is a rough guide on how to set this up. I will write a more detailed guide and host it at a personal site at somepoint.

For the controls you would need the following:
1.) PC Controller Adapter w/ arcade stick (any console) or a USB Arcade stick
2.) Mini USB Cable
3.) PSP hacked with custom firmware.
4.) PSP Software: IRSHELL
5.) PC Software: RemoteJoy4iRS
6.) PC Software: JoyToKey

Basically you have to enable usb host redirection for controls in IRShell's config settings. On the PC you install drivers for usbhostfs and run 2 applications: RemoteJoy4iRS and JoyToKey. Both need to be custom configured to your PC. JoyToKey is used to mapping analog stick functions, where as RemoteJoy is used to map everything else. Once you have everything configured you turn on the usbhost option from the main menu of iRshell when the above applications are running on your PC.

As long as your arcade stick is connected to the PC, it will take those commands and send them over the PSP console over the mini-usb cable.

You can get pretty crazy with this. I have dual analog stick setup for Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, which means I have a key config that is nearly identical to that of MGS3. Which is pretty amazing. I refuse to play games anymore with the analog nub. My PSP is more like a home console for me than a portable one due to how I have it setup.

To get the PSP outputting to a lagfree display, you need to use one of the following setups:

- PSP-2000 or PSP-3000 with a component to VGA transcoder on a CRT monitor display
- PSP-2000 or PSP-3000 with a component to VGA transcoder, connected to a scan convertor, going out to an SD display via RGBs or S-Video
- PSP-3000 connected to an SD display using a D-Terminal, Component, S-Video, or Composite cable taking advantage of the systems ability to play games in a non-progressive (interlaced) signal.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:05 am

There were also some Darius II setups that used 2 screens:

Pretty sure (at least in Japan) the 2-screen Darius II was the common one, while the 3-screen one was the oddball. Apparently some game centers couldn't handle the real estate it took. Peaked through a few old Gamest interviews recently.

That's a cool setup you got. Will have to dick around w/ this as there are a handful of games I'd like to play. I'm worried about lag though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Being on PSP is a big disappointment, but this is still one of the most exciting announcements of the year for me, due to Darius being my fav STG series, and of course the fact that OGR is confirmed for the music.

Cant wait for vids.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Apparently some game centers couldn't handle the real estate it took.

Like that epic-scale fetish setup they had at Hey? That was amazing. Is it still there?
You also distaste me with passion!

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:16 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Like that epic-scale fetish setup they had at Hey? That was amazing. Is it still there?

Still there, saw it last weekend when I went by to see the new TypeX/X2 stuff.
become history

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Postby Dais » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:56 am

I'm kind of bewildered by people being excited while talking about ZUNTATA being involved with this game. Unless I'm missing some details, it's not so much a band as a sound unit that's been comprised of like a dozen and a half people over the years, quite a few of whom are still working mainly with Taito. The number of games I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure most of the Taito-developed titles of the past few years have been handled by ZUNTATA members.

lordnikon wrote:Also, the PSP means a retail release.

Not always! But it's probably a fairly safe bet in this case.

It's true that the DS and GBA are nicer on the hands for some people, but there haven't really been many competent shooters designed for either system, sadly. They exist, but can't really hold a candle to the Konami collections you can get on the PSP.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 am

Well, this one is OGR specifically (from what I've read) who is kind of the essence of Zuntata (yes, it's simply a sound team). I would have to dig to find out exactly which titles, but according to Wikipedia he worked on "Darius Series" and specifically Ninja Warriors.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

gk2012
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby gk2012 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:05 am

I just saw the scans. The graphics look great. :o

I hope they can fill the screen with stuff and get no slowdowns.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:29 pm

For those graphics, there'd better be no unnecessary slowdown.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Something has been nagging me, and I just realised what it is. The game needs way more color, its not the detail in the graphics, but the fact that the game is so desaturated.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 am

but the fact that the game is so desaturated.

seen a few sets of scans - some looked good colour wise, some looked washed out.

I'm hoping we get colourful, though it maybe washed out in an attempt to mask the PSP ghosting :/
Beautiful Burnout

Shadow
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Shadow » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:04 am

lordnikon wrote:ZUNTATA is also supposedly onboard (yes!!!)

looking forward to that :whack:
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net - the best PCE Collection Page out there!
http://www.thegnet.ch - Swiss Gaming Magazine
http://www.thegforum.ch - Swiss Hardcore Gamers

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:09 am

Got this in the mail today. Played a credit.

Things I like:
-Darius-ish
-Same weapons power up system and whatnot
-Burst weapon is a nice addition

Things I don't like:
-That white orb which seems to randomly award points (am I missing something)? Also annoyed me in Gaiden.
-3D Graphics, but hey, it's the day and age we live in.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:37 am

After seeing recent vids, the game looks great colorwise. My early concerns are squashed.

GP: How is the music? Zuntata-ish?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:42 am

Seemed about par for the course to me. As per before, I only played a credit, and w/o headphones. So it was that 1 kilowat mono shit the PSP has built in.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:02 am

Glad to hear you like it so far..I'm going to get it, too

Also the 'white orb which seems to randomly award points', I'm sure it's not so random, I remember it from Gaiden and there it was definitely NOT random..
..even if actually I don't remeber exactly how it worked..maybe it depended about the timing getting it..or how much time passed between appearance/grab.. :?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:32 am

I saw in one of Icarus' sickening high score runs he got one with the lowest value of points, and didn't start over. That's part of what I'm basing that on.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Everytime I thought I figured out the white orbs in darius games, the game would swiftly prove me wrong.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:28 pm

Orbs give points depending on where you pick them up as they spin. Somewhere between 12 and 2 on a clock is good IIRC from Gaiden.

saucykobold
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby saucykobold » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:23 am

I've watched several replays by expert players, and none of them get a high bonus with any consistency.

Here's a snippet from the Japanese Darius Gaiden wiki. I ran it through Babel Fish and got the impression that the bonus is random. :yuck:

窶堋ア窶堙娯

Return to “Japanese Video Games”