The DC hibaihin/promo/demo thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The DC hibaihin/promo/demo thread

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:26 am

I figured I would get this going. We can open up some other ones later I think. The DC seems to be somewhat special in that there are a lot of mysterious promos floating about.

Dreamcast Magazine Promos: These are awesome, as a lot of them have several minute promo vids for upcoming games, (demos of course), the Kyasuko animation series, and one even has a promo vid of Planet Harriers (although the quality isn't the best).

What's Shenmue: maybe the best promo in video game history! Ugly orange color Famitsu version for extra points. I wonder if a fansub hack would be hard.

Jet Set Radio: Simply a demo, but has a pretty cool sleeve w/ some art not in the retail version from what I remember.

Phantasy Star Online Network Trial Edition: A very cool coaster.

My personal favorite memories would be luckily scoring a Record of Lodoss War demo at my very first TGS, as well as an Eternal Arcadia demo at the same show. One demo I *didn't* get that show was Guilty Gear, and they started going for some 7000 yen the next day on Yahoo.

Rarest one I own? Probably the Shenmue 2 beta movie thing. Not the coolest, but I should get a better scan of it.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 am

sold off all my DC stuff years ago but i recently found a whole box of PS1 demos and stuff.. pretty sure a couple of em are unreleased (albeit not all demos are playable), also have a ton of home-brew yaroze games, maybe not interesting?
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Probably not going to find as much PS demo love. Never met anyone that was into PS-whoring like the top tier DC (and Saturn) people.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shadow
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Shadow » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:57 pm

have like 300 PSX Demodiscs and Press Demos in the basement... probably worth nothing :)
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net - the best PCE Collection Page out there!
http://www.thegnet.ch - Swiss Gaming Magazine
http://www.thegforum.ch - Swiss Hardcore Gamers

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:13 pm

a shame really, ill take the ps1 over the DC (and saturn for that matter) any day.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Kron
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kron » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 pm

I've been picking up DC hibaihin items over the last 10 years and even I'm still surprised by what new items turn up that I've never heard of.

Sega had this ability to push forward concepts years before anyone else and the DC was home to its fair share:

CSK Health Insurance Union Edition with the Not For Sale/Hibaihin item being the CSK One to One with Dream Passport 3 disc.

It all started back in August the 21st 2000, In origin its a cooperation between the Tokyo Medical College Hospital and CSK Health insurance with the idea being the promotion of hygienic guidance and disease prevention.

For people with fully paid insurance you would be looking at the face of the doctor via the Dream Eye and have your consultation within the convenience of your own home (diet,medicine and physical condition are the stated points)

The set was loaned out to patrons and comprised of:

-Dreamcast with CSK sticker
-Dream Eye Camera
-Keyboard
-VMU
-One to One software

Lots more to come if people are interested ;)

cez
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cez » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Brilliant. I love these highly obscure "let's see how video games can improve our lives" adaptations. Yes, more please.

Gaijin Punch wrote:Probably not going to find as much PS demo love.

I'd say it's coming. There's just so much out there that not many are willing to spend huge amounts of time going through all of it. Nice stuff will pop up every now and then.

As for some nice/interesting examples:
http://tinyurl.com/mvcfk3: Einhander Demo for best cover
http://tinyurl.com/njsskh: Official Catalog (database of every release up to that time plus most of them even with short preview videos)

Plus I have a sealed Dodonpachi demo somewhere. Most interesting ones are store promos/kiosk demos and therefore harder to come by.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm not sure if you would call them promos, but I've had a few of the infamous PAL 'white label' discs pass through my hands over the years. If the games on them weren't complete they were pretty damn close, and I think these discs were the ones released to magazines for reviews and the like. The only one I have right now is Ready 2 Rumble: Round 2 (Beta); I've never played it as I've no real interest in the title and just got it years ago when I was more in the "collecting for collecting's sake" mindset and didn't have a better half to nag me about my disposable income. This one's interesting in that it describes itself as a beta on the label; most of the others I've had or seen just state that they may be different from the finished retail product.

They used to show up pretty commonly on ASSEMbler a few years ago, before it devolved into a bunch of 13-year old PS3/360 fanboys with terrible spelling and drove most of the old members off. I remember a few folks there were building pretty respectable collections out of just the PAL white label releases, going so far as to get some pretty uncommon ones, like Shenmue 2 or Rez.
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:26 pm

e-kenpo. That's kinda... uh... weird. Never heard of that one. Thanks for sharing.

I think it kind of illustrates how all over the map Sega was back then. They had some great ideas (and some not so great). I recall talk of a DC Set Top Box which never came to be as well.

I don't have scans up, but I own those two little square GD-Roms (Super Robot Taisen and the other one whose name slips me). Those are kind of weird as well.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:25 am

Hmm well where do I start... I have been aggresivly collecting obscure Dreamcast discs under the 610 catalog id for about a year now. I have also been cataloging them and saving any image records I can find.

So far I know of 167 known releases with a 610-XXXX catalog id. The list is still growing. I actually own over 88 of these myself, and I have images of roughly 135 of them.

What makes these discs so cool is that, unlike other consoles at the time, the Dreamcast had a proprietary disc format. I find it more interesting collecting demos that are GD-Roms than PS1 or PS2 demos. Also, many of the discs have very interesting goodies on them like the Seventh Cross Fighting Itegration or VOOT 5.66 software on the Official Dreamcast Magazine discs. On one of the Dream Express discs there is virtual tour of TGS where you can walk up to kiosks an then either play the demo of that game or watch a clip. There is this really cool sequence where they video tape you walking in to sit down for the premiere of the D2 trailer in a theatre. From a research and documentation perspective, this disc is critical (I can't remember which volume has this, will have to look it up).

The presentation of the promo discs is pretty unique as well. Some come with a front insert, some with a back insert, some with both, and some with no insert at all. Some have a super plain silkscreen like Get Bass which only has the logo. Where-as Power Stone 2 and Giga Wing have full dual color silk screens covering the entire disc. Some like the Netto de Golf and Super Runabout demos came in bizarre packaging. Netto de Golf comes in this cardboard sleeve with a picture of a big hand with its thumb sticking out with a driver head attached to the thumb. Then the Super Runabout demo is in some sort of necklace thing, in a plastic sleeve.

Some of the rarest promo items that I know of are the Dream Preview discs. If you have a complete set of these consider yourself lucky. I am not talking about the Dream Express discs which are much more common. The Dream Preview discs have a sort of generic looking grayish cover style with loads of text on them.

The rarest item I own, I don't even think the Dreamcast Community is aware of. I would go so far to call it a one of a kind, but maybe someone else has actually run into one. So here is the story:

I was on ebay, when I spoted something I had never seen before "What is that!?" The seller had the most bizarre disc. It was the HITACHI SH-4 Demo Disc. I contacted the seller, threw out an offer, and snagged the item out of the auction individually. It was crammed into a junky import bundle. The most interesting part is that I was able to buy it from the original owner and get the complete story behind it. The disc was handed out in boardroom meetings to people in the chipset and electronics industry. To get one of these discs you had to be in a meeting with Hitachi, and own an actual Dreamcast console. Then they would hand you one. Instead of handing out Demo boards for testing the capabilities of the processor, they simply passed out this disc instead and let people run a variety of technical tests on the Dreamcast console. It was a very novel solution.

From a rarity perspective HITACHI SH-4 Demo Disc is easily the top item in my Dreamcast collection.

If you guys are interested in my recent haul, you can check out the following auction:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/127152203

The most prized item here is of course... the Bangai-O Demo disc which I have been seeking out for quite sometime now. Notice the cover is nearly identical to that of the retail release, except for a very thin line of text in the gray area below the artwork. This is the first time I had ever seen it before, and was previously unsure of its true existance in the first place. Though maybe I did come across it in the past but never knew it, since the cover is almost the same as the final retail release.

I guess I will end it here for the moment hehe, as I could easily keep writing. Feel free to leave your thoughts.

Kron
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kron » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:52 am

I'd imagine we are outbidding each other all the time on YJA :cry: , Did you see that Gigawing 2 NFS that was on a couple of months back? You see plenty of the first game but I didn't even realise this one existed.

Its got a completely different cover to the retail release, Luckily I managed to win it and it should be with me in the next week or two.

I had seen that Hitachi SH4 disc once before, Maybe it was the one you bought as I remember it dissapearing ;)

Pretty funny we have about the same amount and you've only been doing it for a year though. WOW.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 am

I did not see that, infact its not even in my known list. Was that on yahoo? Also, this is my first time finding out about the Giga Wing 2 disc and boy am I pissed lol. Because after getting the Bangai-O disc I was certain I would have the "complete" Import DC shooter collection. Now the news of this flushes that down the crapper lol. With all of these discs though I know I will track them down eventually. Its just a matter of time.

That doesn't come with an insert does it? By cover, do you mean the disc art or an insert? How much did you manage to score it for?

Where did you see the Hitachi SH-4 disc? On eBay in some rogue import bundle? That is where I syphoned the disc from.

Also I have a ton of duplicates from getting bundles so can trade or sell as needed. Let me know and we can work some stuff out.

Do you own Frame Gride Pilot Style? its definatly one of the cooler discs out there.

Kron
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kron » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:08 am

Yeah it was a Yahoo pickup, No insert and sealed disc only just like the first one. I think it was something like 2400yen.

I was genuinely surprised to see it as well.

I can't remember where I saw the SH4 disc but I'm sure I remember seeing it with some documents or another disc which I had never seen before. I 'Should' have the image saved on an older HD as it was quite a few years ago now.

Yeah I'd love to see a list of a what you've got spare as I'd be happy to pick up anything I don't already have!

I've got the nice cover Frame Gride PS too, Very smart item ;)

Just had a look through my master list and ignoring the Toyota (How many have you found?),Mil-cd and Browsers my list of what I've seen available comes to just short of 150. So we can probably make this a pretty definative topic if you fancy it :)
Last edited by Kron on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 pm

So what kinds of tests are on that SH4 disc? Any screenshots?
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 pm

To me, the bank & insurance packages are the most interesting... in a weird sort of way. I mean... c'mon Japan, use a PC for this shit like the rest of the free world.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:To me, the bank & insurance packages are the most interesting... in a weird sort of way. I mean... c'mon Japan, use a PC for this shit like the rest of the free world.

You know that requires too much common sense for these proprietary systems/businesses over here.....24/7 interbank ATMs would be nice to have....
become history

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:45 am

24/7 interbank ATMs would be nice to have....

since switching from Shittybank to Jizzuho, i haven't bothered to make a cash card - using a bank book.

Massive mistake, i hated citi but they are so far ahead of Mizuho that it's not even funny.

aaaaanyways....

Did any of the Rez protos actually make it out on disk? I heard that some were apparently leaked recently, but haven't looked about.
A few friends worked on the game in various capacities and the stories of the prototypes were :O :O :O , Jonnyram went to the "secret" Rez Prototype event organised by Miz a few years back and got to try out the early versions. Really want to see the Underworld level... :( Real shame Underworld pulled out
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:10 am

24/7 interbank ATMs would be nice to have....

Yeah, it's 2009 and I still get blocked from using some ATMs at certain times. They take the "automated" out of Automated Teller Machine.

Shitty Bank

They revamped their website, and it maybe 10x worse than it was. It's easier to toss my own salad than change USD to JPY. I have almost zero complaints about Shinsei. Their website is untuitive, and works. And if you forget to change your dollars to yen on the weekend -- no problem. Citi just sits there and laughs at you.

Underworld

Damn... they made the music and then bailed? What a couple of assholes.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:52 pm

i utterly love Underworld but yeah

"we do not want to be associated with a game where you shoot things" or words to that akin ... :cry:
Beautiful Burnout

Kron
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kron » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:34 pm

That early Beta of DC Rez (K-Project/Vibez) was made available last year and has the underworld tracks on the bosses.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... ight=vibes

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Fantastic! How did I ever miss that? I almost never go into the Unreleased section at Assembler b/c just about everything that turns up is western crap, and the longest discussions involve a massive circle wank to Sega Shenmue and Biohazard 1.5.

Kron
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kron » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:36 am

Has anyone definately seen trial versions of Ready 2 Rumble and SFIII: 3rd Strike?

There seems to be alot of bad information about these two on various Japanese websites.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:45 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Fantastic! How did I ever miss that? I almost never go into the Unreleased section at Assembler b/c just about everything that turns up is western crap, and the longest discussions involve a massive circle wank to Sega Shenmue and Biohazard 1.5.

Same with me, just had to check it out and downloaded the image. Hope I can get to play it still this evening :whack:

Gaijin Punch wrote:I don't have scans up, but I own those two little square GD-Roms (Super Robot Taisen and the other one whose name slips me). Those are kind of weird as well.

This one?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Yeah, I think so. I'd have to check. There are two total (or is it three?) Actually one of the games is Evangelion. I don't think I have the one shown there, but I could be wrong.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:02 am

My latest demo haul arrived. A total mystery... the Bangai-O disc is identical to that of the retail release. Same disc in every way. The insert is a single card, with controller instructions on the back. The words demo disc or not for resale in japanese appear no where on the front or back. The main difference on the front cover is a thin line of text below the artwork in the gray border that says (c) Treasure/ESP 1999, Sega Dreamcast Bangai-O in japanese.

Spent a lot of money to get this, but sort of dissapointed since I thought the disc itself would be unique. Unfortunatly its just the retail disc.

I have 2 assumptions at the moment:

1.) The disc was a promotional disc handed out at trade shows
2.) A demo was in this at somepoint, but a previous owner mixed it up with the retail release.

I doubt the 2nd option is true though since there is no presence of the word demo on the insert. Still... very strange. The only way I would be able to confirm this is if I spot another auction that is selling this exact same item, and I may never know the origins of this.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”