Famicom Mini wave 3

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Famicom Mini wave 3

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:53 am

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/fmk3/index.html Nintendo has announced the third wave of the Famicom minis. The games included this time are all FDS games: 1. Famicom Mini Vol. 21 Super Mario Bros. 2 2. Famicom Mini Vol. 22 Nazo no Murasame 3. Famicom Mini Vol. 23 Zelda II: The Adventure of Link 4. Famicom Mini Vol. 24 Metroid 5. Famicom Mini Vol. 25 Palthena's Mirror (Kid Icarus) 6. Famicom Mini Vol. 26 Shin Onigashima 7. Famicom Mini Vol. 27 Famicom Tantei Kurabu: Kieta Koukeisha 8. Famicom Mini Vol. 28 Famicom Tantei Kurabu II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo 9. Famicom Mini Vol. 29 Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania) 10. Famicom Mini Vol. 30 SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars Though I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo milking of these old titles, (I'd prefer compilations.) this set is interesting as its a chance to own some FDS titles without having to go through the hassle of owning an FDS. I'll most likely end up getting Nazo no Murasamejou and Zelda II (So I can have the Japanese version.) A pity Nintendo of America doesn't use this series as an opportunity to translate some of their games that didn't get released in the West. I would love to try out the FDS text adventures.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: Famicom Mini wave 3

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:58 am

Thanks for the post. I'll probably pick up the SMB2 and Metroid... maybe Dracula Zelda 2. I'm not a huge fan of them milking either, but I must be honest... the games are dirt cheap. In the store, they wind up at about 1780 yen, which is like $15. You guys in the US get screwed though, as Lik Sang and the like are charging $30 a pop for them. Yeah, a collection would be nicer, but what're ya gonna do. I would be glad to pick up this set for cost someone assuming I got to keep the points.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:56 am

I'm glad to see that they are putting out the disk system games, I didn't think they would, just because they're pricks. If I could, I'd snatch Zelda 2 and Kid Icarus, because frankly I've never played all the way through them like I should. I'd also consider SMB2, just because the difficulty would give it a lot of replay and I'm tired of the small screen on SMB Deluxe. I've heard that Mystery of Rain Castle (or whatever) game is hot too. Too bad I leave a couple of weeks before these come out. Sho ga nai. Anybody want to help me out here (Just those couple games, not the whole set)?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:58 pm

Hehe... those are probably the best two in the set. Lemme see what happens... I might be able to grab 'em.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:35 pm

Well you can get SMB2 on the Snes. I know you could get for free in the US if you subscribed to Nintendo Power back than. I'd like to see Zelda 2 myself as I think there were a few differences between the cart and FDS system versions.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:55 am

What kind of game is SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars. Strategy or shooter? I'd like to see a few of the Nes/Famicom Koei games get released(Genghis Khan,Nobunaga's ambition) but I doubt it would happen.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:09 am

Your probably right about the Koei games. Your best bet is just to try out the roms for the Gundam games. I know there's one RPG and one shooter. Don't remember if there are any other Famicom Gundam games and which one is which.

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:34 am

Thanks GP, I might have found another source though. I'll let you know. So I'm guessing that we can expect these titles in the west: SMB2 Metroid Kid Icarus Link II Castlevania and that's it pretty much. Maybe there's a chance Nintendo will release the most recognizable of series 2 and 3 at the same time? It'll be interesting to see what they do with this. I'd like to see a translated Goemon game, but that won't happen.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:40 pm

I'd always take the Japanese over the US when it comes to most anything, but definitely GBA games. Anyone else think the US package design is utter shit?

maxlords
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby maxlords » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:02 pm

I love the US packaging personally....but the Jp IS better. As for the new wave...what are these? : 2. Famicom Mini Vol. 22 Nazo no Murasame 6. Famicom Mini Vol. 26 Shin Onigashima 7. Famicom Mini Vol. 27 Famicom Tantei Kurabu: Kieta Koukeisha 8. Famicom Mini Vol. 28 Famicom Tantei Kurabu II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo Any of em worth getting?

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:30 pm

Gaijin- If you can pick me up a set of these as well as the second set of games, you can keep all the points.

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:23 pm

maxlords wrote:I love the US packaging personally....but the Jp IS better. As for the new wave...what are these? : 2. Famicom Mini Vol. 22 Nazo no Murasame 6. Famicom Mini Vol. 26 Shin Onigashima 7. Famicom Mini Vol. 27 Famicom Tantei Kurabu: Kieta Koukeisha 8. Famicom Mini Vol. 28 Famicom Tantei Kurabu II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo Any of em worth getting?
Nazo no Murasame is a pretty good game. It's a top view action game, that's sort of like Zelda, though the game is more action oriented. Also your character throws projectiles at his enemies, but attacks with a sword when he's up close. A neat feature is that the samurai can deflect enemies' projectiles with the sword. The game is very tough though. You might want to consider getting a rom of the FDS version and trying it on an emu first to see if you like it. Personally I enjoy it, thus I will make an effort to import it when it's available. Especially considering I won't have to worry about a breaking FDS. Heh As for the other 3, those are all text adventures. The Famicom Tantei Club games in particular are supposed to be mysteries. They look like interesting games, but unfortunately if you don't know a lot of Japanese they'll be unplayable. I hope to someday be able to play English versions of them. Whether it's through fan translation, or by some miracle NOA decides to release them in the West. (And even then, I imagine censorship will take place.)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:59 am

From your favorite section of Japanese Gaming, max... [img]http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/‾japangaming/bonus/chirashi/famicom/nazonomurasamejou.jpg[/img]

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:38 am

Oh no doubt, the JP packaging looks much, much, better. BTW, The carts are going to be yellow this time, instead of good ol famicom maroon. Either way, they both look ugly in my purple GBA (no SP yet!). But them boxes sure are purty.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”