[PS2] Ys III ‾Wanderers froms Ys‾: First screenshots.

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

[PS2] Ys III ‾Wanderers froms Ys‾: First screenshots.

Postby Recap » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:03 pm

Image Here. Backgrounds look nice. Spec table says it's for two players. ?!?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:29 pm

Look nice. Too bad it's on a system I don't have.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:02 am

Any word on a North american release?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:07 am

Bighab wrote:Any word on a North american release?
Take a wild guess. :(

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:31 am

:o

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanks for the post, Recap. Isn't this the biggest turd in the series though? You'd assume they'd opt to go straight to the remake of IV, like Sega is doing w/ the Phantasy Star remakes.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:17 pm

I personally think part 5 is the worst. Part 3 is just so much different from the other ones. Side scrolling versus oveahead. There probably releasing the Ys game in order versus which games are the best in the series.

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:14 pm

hmm Ys V is realy good ! Of course it is more a "seiken" than a Ys, however this is a great game. Ys III is boring compare to the fifth (in spite of its soundtrack for the PC Engine version). This one is just nice while the V remain a fantastic game. Of course, this is my point of view. :P If I had to make a grading, it would be...: Ys IV the Dawn of Ys (one of my favorite game) Ys VI the AoN Ys ancient vanished Omen Ys V (expert or not) Ys IV Mask of the sun Ys II ancient vanished final chapter Ys III the wanderers from Ys

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:01 am

Does Ys III feature the "ram the shit out of your enemy" engine? I'd like to play 1, and 2, but w/o this "feature". Is the PS2 version the only ones that don't have this? Personally, I don't see how they got so popular w/ that fighting style in the first place.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:45 am

Well all the other Ys 3 games you actually swing your sword in them. I believe the gameplay is the same for all version of Ys 1 and 2. In the later releases you ca move diagonally which makes it much easier and also takes away the challenge. In part 2 once you get the fireball magic you really don't have to ram into any enemies anymore. PLus all bosses can only be hurt by magic to boot. I personally don't see any problem with the ram the enemy to death game engine. It works pretty well, you just have to get use to it. You can swing a sword in part 5 but I think that game is really poorly made and have no interest in ever touching it again.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:51 pm

Well, like i've said a million times before Ys 3 is my fav Ys game... I dont like ys 1 and 2 because of the ramming. I dont like ys 4 (SFC version, never played pcengine version) also because of the ramming. I like ys 5 but I think there is too much talking and running between towns rather than battle, which is bad because its got some great bosses and stuff. Ys 3 just seems the 'funnest' to me, and i'm not a platform game nut either. But of cause i will pick up this ps2 remake, it looks awesome... But for some reason I get the feeling its a kind of 'budget' game... Seems a bit rushed to me, either way I must get it. So in conclusion, ramming = not fun, but thats just my oppinion :) But despite my hatred for ramming fighting systems I am a fan of hydlide 1 & 2... not quite sure why.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:30 pm

For those who know, which version of Wanderers of Ys, besides the X 68000 one, is currently the best one?

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:22 pm

I think this is the PC Engine version. In add, this one offers the best soundtrack due to the cd rom. There is also a phone version but I've never play with that one.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:57 pm

Macaw brings up a good point which I think is true of just about ANY Falcom game. There's a *LOT* of going back and forth. This is also what killed Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu for me. So has anyone played the PS2 remake of I & II? I've never gotten a straight up "It's good! Buy it!" from anyone.

Schmeetz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Schmeetz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:37 am

If it's at all like the PC 'Eternal' versions, I can only recommend it. Best version of Ys 2 I ever played, and I think I've played them all by now :) I must highly disagree with the Ys 3 'turd' comment though, if there ever was a stinker it'd be 5, with 4 SFC as a close second. Although I must say that a remake of 4 PCE would be brilliant. the screens look sumptious though, I'd like some of that. But is it just a more-or-less straightforward port at full retail in Japan? that would suck.

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:01 am

Code: Select all

Although I must say that a remake of 4 PCE would be brilliant.
Of course it could be great, however, I would prefere the Mega cd version which never released. :P

Schmeetz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Schmeetz » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:37 am

meh, I'd rather have a souped-up version than a rare one :roll:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:45 am

I agree with Macaw on the ramming part. Ramming is simply counter-intuitive for an "action" game. I hate all ramming RPGs. Of course, Ys V was hardly that exciting either IMO. I'm actually a huge fan of sidescrolling RPGs (and sidescrollers in general) and Ys III was decent if way too short and not much in terms of both difficulty (some ports may be harder; I don't know since I certainly haven't played a majority of them) and plot. I still prefer the customizable slickness of the Eternal Story versions of Ys I & II as well. I guess on the off chance that Ys V succeeds in the US, Konami might bring this one to the US as well. Of course, the chance is about nil unless Ys pulls off another "Disgaea" here.

oceanfr
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby oceanfr » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:28 pm

Looks similar to the snes one

Black_Tiger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

More ramming please

Postby Black_Tiger » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:54 am

I love ramming games! I want more Ys ramming, but will be satisfied with whats already out if they never ram up Ys ever again. Ys III is not ramming, its a Popful Mail port theme Ys. And of course, by 'themed Ys' that only means that Adol's in it and some of the items seem familiar.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:57 am

Official site updated. Adol sprite now looking decent. True hi rez graphics. March, 24th is the day. http://www.taito.co.jp/d3/cp/ys3/ Image Image Image

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:30 pm

Thanks for the update. March 24th is a huge day. Gigawing Generations, PHantasy Star Generation II, Shining Force Neo, now this. I'm only going to spring for two. The shooter, and PS:GII. Shining Force Neo does look pretty good, but then again, so did Shining Tears. :cry: I always meant to try out the Y's I & II remakes, but I'm just not that big of a fan of the series... I only played Book I on the Saturn, and that was like 4 years ago.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:19 pm

Nice... this looks very good, now they should remake Popfull Mail in the same way they did with Ys3, that would trully rock!!
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:49 pm

Or yet another Sorcerian remake. The 3D DC one looked UG-LY.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:16 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Thanks for the update. March 24th is a huge day. Gigawing Generations, PHantasy Star Generation II, Shining Force Neo, now this. I'm only going to spring for two. The shooter, and PS:GII. Shining Force Neo does look pretty good, but then again, so did Shining Tears. :cry:
Yoku Shin is said to be poor, at least its arcade version, watch out. I know nothing about the Phantasy Star games, besides I don't like the non-SD characters and the sci-fi theme they use. I'm interested, thoe. Let me know why I should try them with this Generation II. I don't think we'll see more classic Falcom games remade by Taito. They just bought Zwei!! and the three Ys (III, IV and V) games and seems that the first one's sales were poor and that Ys III is being eclipsed by the Ys VI port from Konami (which looks subpar, by the way).

Return to “Japanese Video Games”