Obis in impossible places (and other analities)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

While dismantling game cases, have you ever came across a hidden obi?

Yes
57%
No
29%
Don't Know/Care
14%

Total votes: 7

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Obis in impossible places (and other analities)

Postby layzee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:55 pm

When it comes to my personal game collection, I'm pretty perfectionist. :whack: If a PS1 case has even one small crack, then I have to replace it. If the jacket of a PS2 case is too dusty or if another PS2 case looks noticably more clear/shiny, then I have to replace it. And when I buy CD media, it must come with obis, assuming it came with one originally (after 3-4 years of active game buying, I've since decided to relax this requirement).

So I recently bought Chrono Cross for the second time (the first time it didn't come with an obi). This one still didn't come with an obi but that's okay, I no longer care (as much as I used to) for it. After checking everything was complete, I was about to store it with my other games when I noticed a 1cm crack on the back of the case. I groaned but the perfectionist in me forced me to find another game to swap cases with.

This PS1 case is the 2 disc version (e.g. Akumajou Dracula X also uses it) and like the thick hollow (as opposed to thin) 1 disc version case, it's a huge pain in the ass to dislodge and dig out the grey disc holder. It busts up your fingernails and you can't place too much force or you will damage the case.

I've had much practice of this in the past (you have to pull the back part of the case outwards and pull the grey disc holder in the opposite direction) so I didn't have too much trouble doing it. And in between the grey disc holder and the back cover art insert, there turned out to be the obi itself. This was a pretty nice surprise and my complete copy is now slightly more complete.

This is like the third or fourth time I've found an obi hiding back there and my question is, what is a person's state of mind and logical thought process when he/she goes through all the trouble of dismantling the case just to hide the obi there? If you hate the obi that much, just throw it in the bin, it's less effort.
Last edited by layzee on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Yeah, I've come across a few spine cards that weren't advertised to be there and it's a nice treat. I don't mind games without spine cards but it better be cheaper than with.

As for the situation you're talking about, are you referring to the thick double-disc case with one CD attached to the front and the other attached to the back (and where the manual is sandwiched in-between)?

If so, I have no clue what you're talking about. That's the only type of case where I open up the case (those cases are by far the easiest to open up too because you can just pull on 1 edge and the holders come right out) and place the spine card inside. I have it that way in my Langrisser IV & V Final Edition but it's clearly visible between the CD holder hole just so I remember.

Why put it there? Because where else would you put it? I suppose if you don't care about condition, you could have the spine card sandwiched in with the manual where it's too long to neatly fit inside the case. Get ready for your spine card to get crumpled on the edges.

Putting the spine card underneath the holder is the only sensible place someone who cares about not damaging it would do (besides outside of the case altogether). That sort of care is the furthest thing away from just lazily tossing it out.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I've come across a lot of games that weren't advertised to have the spine-card included but luckily, it was attached to them.

I'm probably just as a perfectionist as you are, replacing cases; compiling "perfect" versions of games if I get a double with more flyers ect.; always with spine-cards/instructions(cover), no sun-burn on neither of them and so on. No sealed though, can't stand that. It's nice to collect, I admit that, but the main reason why I buy games it that I want to read the manuals and play them, or at least give it a shot for 10 minutes.

Pretty lovely to discover unannounced spines in the box, that was often the case when I bought games on Yahoo but never on ebay.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm pretty anal about my games too. I actually bought a bunch of sealed Samurai Spirits 3's to use as replacement cases for other Neo geo CD games, as I want the cases to all have the Neo Geo logo. :roll:
And PS1 games need to be in PS1 jewelcases – the ones with the shorter length stubs where the manual goes.
I've only had spine card surprises of the bad kind – i.e. game was supposed to come with one, but got delivered without. :whack:

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:28 am

Ganelon wrote:As for the situation you're talking about, are you referring to the thick double-disc case with one CD attached to the front and the other attached to the back (and where the manual is sandwiched in-between)?

In case I was misunderstood and to clarify, I am not trying to dislodge the swinging (front) part of the case, that's easy. Instead, I'm trying to dig out the disc holder that is part of the back case (i.e. after you open the case, the right side).

This is the thick double disc case which IMO is pretty difficult to dislodge. And this is the thick single disc case, which is definitely difficult.

Ganelon wrote:That's the only type of case where I open up the case (those cases are by far the easiest to open up too because you can just pull on 1 edge and the holders come right out) and place the spine card inside. I have it that way in my Langrisser IV & V Final Edition but it's clearly visible between the CD holder hole just so I remember.

That's the front side right? I was talking about the back (disc 2) side. ;) Hence, my questioning of people who hide their obis on the hard to access back side, as opposed to the easier front.

ave wrote:I'm probably just as a perfectionist as you are, replacing cases; compiling "perfect" versions of games if I get a double with more flyers ect.; always with spine-cards/instructions(cover), no sun-burn on neither of them and so on. No sealed though, can't stand that. It's nice to collect, I admit that, but the main reason why I buy games it that I want to read the manuals and play them, or at least give it a shot for 10 minutes.

Yeah I do that to, if I have two of the same instruction manuals, I'll keep the one that has less creases, two of the same discs, keep the one that has less marks/scratches etc...

I don't care much for sealed games (i.e. an extra thin piece of plastic) either for various reasons.

citcelaid wrote:And PS1 games need to be in PS1 jewelcases – the ones with the shorter length stubs where the manual goes.

Hmm, could you further illustrate for me what you mean here? I just checked my formerly sealed PS1 Chrono Trigger (standard-sized thin single-disc case) and where the manual should be slipped in, there are the usual four semi-circles.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of PS1 cases, when replacing standard thin-sized cases (like this), I find the ones with four semi-circles and two quarter-circles annoying. The two quarter-circles are useful for preventing the instruction manual from sliding too far (and prevents you from accidentally folding it by closing the case) but that particular front-part of the case is not compatible with most back-part cases (when used together, the case can't be closed completely). I have not yet worked out the designs/mechanisms which prevent the front-part case from being compatible with certain back-side cases.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:59 am

layzee wrote:
citcelaid wrote:And PS1 games need to be in PS1 jewelcases – the ones with the shorter length stubs where the manual goes.

Hmm, could you further illustrate for me what you mean here? I just checked my formerly sealed PS1 Chrono Trigger (standard-sized thin single-disc case) and where the manual should be slipped in, there are the usual four semi-circles.

Don't worry too much about that. I only buy brand-new so can assure that lots of PS games come with standard thin CD cases (with no two quarter-circles--as you put it--for extra manual holding). My Castlevania Chronicle and Chipokke Ralph, for instance, are still sealed and they have the standard cases (you can say it because the visible manual holders at the right side are longer too).

I don't care much for sealed games (i.e. an extra thin piece of plastic) either for various reasons.

Brand-new games are the only ones where you'll find that perfect condition you seem to go after, though. You don't need to keep them sealed (that'd be pointless at some moment) but you can keep the manuals, case, etc. like new if you reseal the game, even with the original seal if you're careful enough. The bonus is that you can put the obi back at its original place and the whole package looks, obviously, much better. You just need an extra case apart for the disc. Have been doing that for 15 years now and more than one have copied the method once they saw the result.

And remember -- brand-new games feed your favourite publishers; second-hand, never ever.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 am

Brand-new games are the only ones where you'll find that perfect condition you seem to go after,

The problem is locating them. It is quite often close to impossible... unless you have the patience of a saint. This hobby already takes up far too much of my time.

Then you've got the whole PCB thing.

And remember -- brand-new games feed your favourite publishers; second-hand, never ever.

You need an asterisk. Old new stock doesn't feed your publishers or developers.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:36 am

layzee wrote:That's the front side right? I was talking about the back (disc 2) side. ;) Hence, my questioning of people who hide their obis on the hard.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, the front side is the location that's trivial. Having it in the back side does seem strange.

Anyway, you can't be sure of condition even with new games. First, in any case DVD-size or larger, it's really easy for the disc to pop out and get scratched up. Then, the manual is in constant danger. In a normal jewel case, the centerpiece of the holder digs right into the manual and some careless folks always dig the right end of the manual cover into the plastic barrier protrusion on the front cover.

In a DVD case, the clips scratch the manual, the DVD molding can bend the manual, and placing the manual too high up or down will cause it to get bent by the protrusions there. Even in a new game, the manual is often slightly bent at the edges there. I always close my cases with the front side down so that I know the right edge of the manual won't droop and smash into the DVD molding when I close the case.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Recap wrote:Don't worry too much about that. I only buy brand-new so can assure that lots of PS games come with standard thin CD cases (with no two quarter-circles--as you put it--for extra manual holding). My Castlevania Chronicle and Chipokke Ralph, for instance, are still sealed and they have the standard cases (you can say it because the visible manual holders at the right side are longer too).

Yip, not all PS games came in the special PS jewel cases. Though strangely, I bought both my Castlevania Chronicle and Chipokke Ralph new too, and mine definitely do have the PS jewelcases. (?)

Up to now my general observation has been that budget releases like Simple 1500 or Sunsoft Memorial often come in regular jewel cases, but maybe, there was no set system as to what jewelcases were used, like with the Neo Geo CD, where there are also brand new games without the Neo Geo imprint on the jewel case.

Absolutely, but only if you buy near the release date and at full price.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:08 pm

citcelaid wrote:Yip, not all PS games came in the special PS jewel cases. Though strangely, I bought both my Castlevania Chronicle and Chipokke Ralph new too, and mine definitely do have the PS jewelcases. (?)

Poor quality, but I put a third game so you can compare the different "plastic barrier protrusions" with non-standard cases.

The current auctions on Yahhoo! seem to validate it. Maybe they used different cases for the same game, but sounds too weird for titles with such a limited editions, I'd say.

Absolutely, but only if you buy near the release date and at full price.

"Only"? Nah. The industry's mechanics and the relationships involved are a bit more complex.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:11 pm

It's not that I don't believe you, however I just found an old picture from when I purchased my Chippoke Ralph. You can clearly see that it has the short barrier protrusions:

So it seems different cases were used for the same games after all.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Recap wrote:Brand-new games are the only ones where you'll find that perfect condition you seem to go after, though. You don't need to keep them sealed (that'd be pointless at some moment) but you can keep the manuals, case, etc. like new if you reseal the game, even with the original seal if you're careful enough.

You're perfectly right, but most of the attractive games have become quite expensive over the years when you buy them sealed instead of just "complete+mint".
And as you said, most people who seek the perfect condition aren't necessarily sealed collectors. This way money would be burned since the piece of plastic that makes it all that expensive would be gone in a second anyway. For collectors with lots of money in their pockets, this might be a good way to acquire absolutely "mint" games, but for the majority it's rather not.
At least I wouldn't spend 400$ on a Akumajo Dracura X sealed when I could get it for 40$ in the same mint condition, opened. And then the shooters and arcade-ports most of us are after... one sealed money burning hell. >_<

I wasn't aware of this kind of PlayStation cases btw. Althought I'm really anal about my games, I don't think I need to replace anything now...^^ Unlike the NGCD it seems pretty random which game (literally) came with a unique PS case.
That apart, I don't think anyone would note or ask for this detail when I sell the games, so whatever. I totally understand that NGCD-logo-fetish though :)

The bonus is that you can put the obi back at its original place and the whole package looks, obviously, much better. You just need an extra case apart for the disc. Have been doing that for 15 years now and more than one have copied the method once they saw the result.

I have about 1/3 of my CD-games in extra plastic baggies to keep them in good, unscratched condition.
And you're right, putting the spine-card back at its original place is the ultimate style killer method. I'd so love to do it with all of my games, but the fear of sun-faded spine-cards is too big. I've seen too many light blue Saturn spines and light pink Dreamcast obis to ignore this danger right away ^^"

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:42 pm

I always thought that the inside corner barriers at the front of the case were indicative of a replacement case until I realized that random games came with those cases. A lot of folks have accidentally jammed the left end of the manual into those it seems. On the plus side, they hold spine cards in place if you place them there as most folks do.

As for sun-fading, leaving any game with direct access to UV rays is a bad idea. It's scary if you go to a rental store with bright open windows and see how bleached the games near the windows become after a few years.

I don't care about showing anything off. All my games are in closed cabinets, boxes, or closets. The only problem is that it's pretty much impossible to find cheap, durable, visible, expansive, and closed storage. They definitely don't make cabinets for collectors.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:36 am

I have a sealed Ralph here if anyone needs a pic. I'm not that sealed game guy, but I had an opened one side by side for ages.

As for the complicated mechanics of the game industry and the makers of games getting their cut, its' quite easy: if you're paying more than retail, rest assured the developers aren't getting shit. They've already gotten their cut for it being sold at retail once.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Recap wrote:http://i45.tinypic.com/2lkzprd.jpg

Ahaha, those "front right-hand side plastic barrier portrusions". I thought I was the only one that wondered why there were different ones.

I am aware of four types:
1) longer PBPs (shown in pic)
2) shorter PBPs: about half length of above (shown in pic)
3) slightly different shorter PBPs: same length as above but looks a bit different. These always come with the four semi-circles + two corner quarter-circles (for more secure instruction manual holding). While it's a nice feature, if the back part of the case is cracked, it'll be hard to replace.
4) other random ones

Since finding these differences, I've preferred the first type, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Now that we seem to be discussing what is supposed to be insignificant shit (the FRHSPBPs), I thought I'd point out something even more insignificant, this time the back of the case:

In the past, I used to buy non-Japanese CD media (e.g. PAL and NTSC-U/C PS1 games) and in my burning days, lots of different brand blank CDs (with cases). However, not one of them looks like the one shown in the pic. Most have the usual 1 big circle (for attaching front part of case) and 1 smaller circle (for attaching disc tray). Only Japanese CDs like PlayStation 1 games, mainstream Japanese music and Japanese game music, comes with the back case that has one big circle and the two smaller circles.

Having said that, not every game music CD has the 1BC2SC (1 big circle, 2 smaller circles) but a lot of them does. I don't have many Japanese music CDs but most of the sealed ones I have has 1BC2SC. My sealed PS1 game sample size is too small, but I suspect most have the 1BC2SC like the Chrono Trigger example above. This also includes 3 disc and 4 disc games like Final Fantasy VII, which is basically the case consisting of two "back" cases joined together. Again, my sample size is small so this is probably just a big waste of time.

As for me, I can't unsee the above so whenever I get the opportunity, I replace any 1BC1SCs cases with the 1BC2SCs. I don't know why though. :( No biggie if I can't but I do it when I can.

Anyway, this is probably the only relevant opportunity I have on the Internet to post the above useless findings so I did. If you're bored, have a check and see how many 1BC2SCs you have. You don't need to unseal them, you can see the 2SC shadows from the side.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Since when did DVD/DVD-style cases have obis?

This is the first time I've seen one. Any game-related DVD obis?

I sure hope this is just a one-off.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:25 pm

layzee wrote:Since when did DVD/DVD-style cases have obis?

This is the first time I've seen one. Any game-related DVD obis?

I sure hope this is just a one-off.

I have seen some DVDs such as that but it occuered to me only with rather old DVD's (=early 2000). Maybe this was the link between DVD's in CD-cases (as it was common practice in Japan at some point, of course including spine-cards) and common Amaray-packaging.
There are no game-related DVD obis as far as I know. Maybe in the PC/eroge-area, that's the only place I could imagine DVD-obis.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: Obis in impossible places (and other analities)

Postby undamned » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:53 pm

layzee wrote:what is a person's state of mind and logical thought process when he/she goes through all the trouble of dismantling the case just to hide the obi there?

It's certainly not going to get lost as easily as if they just stuck it inside the manual (as I've found on occasion).
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”