fuck CAVE!

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

fuck CAVE!

Postby sven666 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm

http://www.cave-shop.jp/item/4598.html

goddammnit, I am thru collecting their shit, what purpouse does that even serve!?! (aside from screwing their loyal fans right over) O_o

first the posters and now the artsets.. man im gonna go to great lenghts to make sure i buy everyone of their games used from now on so they wont see another cent from me :finger:
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Seconded. I've kinda felt that ever since they started doing stuff on the 3rd gen hardware, they think their shit doesn't smell. Just wait for the ports, the only cave boards worth owning are the ones on the 1st gen (outside ketsui).

Fuck em!
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Browsing with a little handheld gadget here at work that runs a bit slower on image or JS-intensive sites; is this the Ketsui artset reprint you're referring to?
You also distaste me with passion!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 pm

All of the boards are still worth owning...even Death Smiles & Futari if you like the games enough. The port are good, but some of us like our arcade monitors.

But it's a bit irksome when they reprint everything under God's green earth. I'd be far more thrilled if the Black Labels were really only 100/150 pieces as advertised.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:20 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Browsing with a little handheld gadget here at work that runs a bit slower on image or JS-intensive sites; is this the Ketsui artset reprint you're referring to?

Eh, dummy: That sig of yours goes without an exclamation mark. If you're using one of my brilliant internet lines, do me the favor of quoting me properly. Also, Sven No. 666's format is better, thanks.

All of the boards are still worth owning...even Death Smiles & Futari if you like the games enough. The port are good, but some of us like our arcade monitors.

Your arcade monitor, if it's worth enough, should be 31-kHz/VGA compatible, which is exactly the type Cave's 360 ports are designed for.

Amazing thread, anyway.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:27 am

Your arcade monitor, if it's worth enough, should be 31-kHz/VGA compatible, which is exactly the type Cave's 360 ports are designed for.

My arcade monitor right now is only 0-khz compatible. It was 31khz compatbile but at least w/ the Death Smiles, the 480p mode is a completely different experience from Arcade mode. Yes... I think before posting.

Futari BL port also not perfect (but good). Never played 360 mode.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:26 am

Reprints aren't a good thing? Excluded fans get what they want at a fair price and Cave gets more money to make good games. Sorry if you thought instruction cards were banknotes. :?

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:50 am

Ah, it is the artset reprint. Yeah, I'm a little divided on the issue--on the one hand, it is a nice touch for people with bare boards to amass what amounts to a real kit, but I do feel sorry for the folks that spent three digits on artsets previously.

Has anyone looked to see if there's any difference between some of the reprints sold at other festivals and originals--little stuff like copyright date, etc.? Might not skew the collector's market too badly if they're not identical.

Reproduction boxes next time, please, Cave.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:

My arcade monitor right now is only 0-khz compatible. It was 31khz compatbile but at least w/ the Death Smiles, the 480p mode is a completely different experience from Arcade mode. Yes... I think before posting.

Psst. I'm not defending 360 ports vs. PCBs. While I myself will always believe that you can do better things with $1500 than buying a video-game (unless you're into reselling habits, obviously), I also understand that hi-res has indeed uglyfied Cave games (scanlines helped to hide the usual issues of prerendered graphics, that is). I only was saying that you phrased the idea as if you didn't think before posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:24 am

>> GSL

To date, they're the same. The Ketsui set is missing some of the pieces though... the ones that are already the rarest. The reprint debate is nothing new, really. I've never really liked it. Finding the stuff is half the fun.

While I myself will always believe that you can do better things with $1500

I've only spent that on 2 boards thus far, and I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of them and then some... basically playing the game exclusively for months. One of the boards has held it's value quite well. My Ketsui board was bout for 30,000 yen.... and the bits & bobs accumulated over the years for roughly free.

I'm fine w/ the high-res treatment of the games, although yes, these seem to be meant for 240p. For most people, it's a no brainer ($60 versus a shitload more) but I play/buy so few games these days, I don't mind shelling out for the better experience.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 pm

The Ketsui artset reprint is awesome!

Going to snap one up for sure to go with my board.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm

i played all teh 360 ports so far and they are all superior to the PCBs in that they offer high-res modes and gameplay either on par or even better than the PCBs for a fraction of the money, I have no problems with CAVE porting their games, i dont mind that they release tons of bullshit merch to go along either.
actually if i wasent such an arcadenerd id happily sell off all my PCBs/cabs and settle for the console versions, id be a rich man with tons of space to spare..

what pisses me off is that they started to reprint decade old artsets/posters that have been out of print for years on end.

they can go fuck themselves if they think im gonna shell out JPY200K for a DFK BL PCB when its obvious the PCB is going to plumeth in price.. before it used to be atleast there was exclusive artworks and whatnot in the PCB release to atleast somewhat justify buying it (im clinging to straws here) but now theres not even that.

now its just a matter of playing the game a few months before the port comes out.. and frankly.. for $1800 i can wait.

fuck it, i spent my money on a new ZX10R yesterday anyways :P

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Fucking fuckers! Fuck their fucking moms, too. Fuck!

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:51 pm

sven666 wrote:fuck it, i spent my money on a new ZX10R yesterday anyways :P

Probably keep its value better anyways. ;) It's not like you can make improvements, repairs or modifications to a PCB and use that to get a better price when/if you resell it, anyways.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:56 pm

The BL's seem to hold their value somewhat when they get down to the 100,000 to 120,000 mark.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 am

Recap wrote:Fucking fuckers! Fuck their fucking moms, too. Fuck!

whats a matter baby, step on the solder side?

GP, only BL to hold its price so far is futari.. ibara BL which is the 2nd rarest bareley fetches 40-50K on yahoo.. and DOJ BL goes up and down like a yoyo.. will be very interesting to see how DFK BL holds its worth..

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Haven't seen IBL (full kit) in ages. Sold mine for 80,000 yen when I was done w/ it... I think I got it for 110,000 yen. I was of course, talking about holding their price point after the initial couple of drops. I think the days of anything staying above $2k are gone.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:48 pm

sven666 wrote:
Recap wrote:Fucking fuckers! Fuck their fucking moms, too. Fuck!

whats a matter baby, step on the solder side?

You're too cool for my fingertips, goddammnit.

Scion
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Scion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 pm

I only have the barest idea of what everyone's talking about in this thread, but it's absolutely hilarious to read, nonetheless. :D

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Jeez, I can't believe they actually went there. Espgaluda I can deal with, but Ketsui is a bit different. Being the highest earning Cave board on YHJ 2nd hand aftermarket it's a bit of a kick in the balls to people who value their produce.

Kind of glad I sold my Ketsui artset a little while back, but also feeling kind of guilty about it too, considering the price differences between that and this. :conf:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:52 am

In all reality those bits weren't really that expensive anymore. It's the parts not in that set that are crazy rare.

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:In all reality those bits weren't really that expensive anymore. It's the parts not in that set that are crazy rare.

Well I sold them for pretty much what I paid for them after clawing a set together, but it's still a far cry from the peanuts the reprinted set costs.
It would be nice if they threw in a new suction cup with that, just to sweeten the deal. :P
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 am

I can see how it would be very frustrating if I'd spent a bunch of time and money tracking down the bits, or if I had invested in a really old Ketsui kit.

But the flipside of this is awesome. Now you can purchase an extra set of art for peanuts, and use it for what it was intended. That's a lot more fun than keeping all your artwork rat-holed away in the dark to keep it pristine.

If your hobby is arcade gaming and not arcade hoarding then this move by Cave is awesome. Plus, it's not like everyone is suddenly going to have complete Ketsui kits now.

Hoard: To keep hidden or private. <-- That's no fun! :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 am

I hoard mainly b/c I have no place to decorate. I'd love to have a proper game room and hang one or more of my old ass posters from the 90s (or even 80s!) but it ain't gonna happen I'm afraid.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 am

Do folks here frame the posters or something? I can't imagine anybody hanging up a $500 poster willy nilly. And then you have to worry about UV sunfading. The pain of poster maintenance and upkeep is a large reason why I don't ever want to go there.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”