Toaplan

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 am

Here's my Toaplan tidbit:

Something I've always wondered about from Toaplan is the eponymous boss from Wardner no Mori (Wardner's Forest, known as Pyros in the US, and just Wardner elsewhere). So he's this wizard with a long beard who serves as the final boss of a fantasy game. Nothing special, right?

Well, Wardner's name was originally only written in kana in the JP version and it's "waadona." Meanwhile, the English transliteration to "Wardner" is easily memorable because it's not a very common name. Well, it just so happens that another "wizard with a long beard who serves as the final boss of a fantasy game" who also goes by the same kana.

And that's Werdna, the main antagonist from the first Wizardry (and then the protagonist for Wiz IV). Given Wizardry's huge influence on JRPGs (plus manga and an OVA no less), having the main boss in Wardner as homage is the most likely explanation (but transliterated a bit differently to avoid legal action).

On a final note, if anybody thinks that the name "Werdna" sounds a little strange and hadn't heard of the name before, here's a hint: spell it backward.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:18 pm

I thought it was funny how Batsugun SP. got leaked. I wonder how soon after the show/festival it was before people were updating their ROM sets?
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 pm

undamned wrote:I thought it was funny how Batsugun SP. got leaked. I wonder how soon after the show/festival it was before people were updating their ROM sets?
-ud

I forgot to put in the notes. I might update that. As the story goes, Try was given the board from the show. When it was apparent that Toaplan was going tits up, Try asked the sales guys that gave them the board if they could dump the roms, and they said yes. So, apparently it's kind of an off-the-record but okay dump.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:21 am

Too bad it still doesn't work properly. Did they ever say why they never did console ports of Vimana, Outzone, or Dogyuun? I've always wondered why those awesome games never saw a console port.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Limbrooke
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Limbrooke » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:19 pm

RadiantSvgun wrote:Too bad it still doesn't work properly. Did they ever say why they never did console ports of Vimana, Outzone, or Dogyuun? I've always wondered why those awesome games never saw a console port.

Blame Gazelle I guess.

Good article GP, thanks.

For people who say Hishouzame as an easy Toaplan game... get real. That game is loco hard, I haven't spent much time in it but it's right up there with Tiger Heli and Daisenpuu as the toughest. Yeah Tatsujin-Ou is hard but really it's hard thanks to the extreme length I'd say, that's the only thing keeping me from coming back anyway.

Dogyuun I'd say isn't very hard, same for Ghox which was pretty good last time I tried it. My favourite Toaplan game though... is probably Slap Fight. It's the reason I got back into Genesis games thanks to Valgar and Julian and there is nothing I don't enjoy about it. A little on the easy side but good music, decent system, and nice graphics for the time.

Fire Shark would a be close 2nd along with Batsugun and Kyukyoku Tiger tied for 3rd.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:55 am

Dogyuun is too long as well, IMHO. 10 stages is too much. I'd like to hear what Ruldra's MAME clock was when he got the clear.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

DC906270-BIL
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DC906270-BIL » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 am

dont most older games have more stages? its only with Cave games where 5 stages has become the norm.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:53 am

DC906270-BIL wrote:dont most older games have more stages?

I think 10 for a shooting game was always pushing it. Even Capcom's "longer" games are around 7 - 8.

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:31 am

...and then they made Varth.
Recap wrote:Improve your internet obsessions.

J-Manic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby J-Manic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:26 am

Batsugun is my favorite. What a terrific shmup. I have to play it at least once a month to get my manic fix.

Limbrooke
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Limbrooke » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:33 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I think 10 for a shooting game was always pushing it. Even Capcom's "longer" games are around 7 - 8.

1942 = 32
1943 = 15
1943 Kai = 10
Varth = 30
1941 = 6 (last stage is pretty long so it could be a 7)

Also, Varth rocks.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 am

How many can we name w/ 7-8 though?

Limbrooke
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Limbrooke » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:51 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:How many can we name w/ 7-8 though?

Touche, although long is still long. With Toaplan it seems the individual stages are extremely long while there aren't too many, Capcom tended to make games with many stages overall making it less of a stage by stage endurance fest and more encompassing of the whole game.

Amendment to 1942, make it 33 stages.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:22 am

Isn't Tatsujin-Ou somewhere to the tune of 10 minutes a stage, or am I hallucinating again?

I've been wanting to get into some old school Capcom shit, but haven't had the chance. Lost World would be a dream to play properly in my non-smoke-filled home, but won't happen. I'm playing Hyper Duel right now, and even at 8 stages it's not too long. 5 is a gimme, and 7 isn't that hard. Perfect difficulty. Not controller-smashing, not a push-over.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:59 am

i thought hyper duel was way to easy, first time i sat down and actually played it i 1CCd it on the first session (maybe 4-5hours of playtime).. thats way to easy for me to have any more than novelty appeal.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 am

I failed at the final boss of Hyper Duel like five times in a row, so I gave up eventually. That was the Saturn version though.

What do people think of Toaplan's Pipi and Bibi's? Worth a try? The board shows up really cheap from time to time.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:16 pm

citcelaid wrote:What do people think of Toaplan's Pipi and Bibi's? Worth a try? The board shows up really cheap from time to time.

Is that the single screen elevator thing with the girls? If so its quite fun from what I remember from playing it once.

Gaijin Punch wrote:I've been wanting to get into some old school Capcom shit, but haven't had the chance.

Tora e no Michi, go go go!
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Limbrooke
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Limbrooke » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Isn't Tatsujin-Ou somewhere to the tune of 10 minutes a stage, or am I hallucinating again?

Some are yeah, from what I remember. They all get up there in length but again everytime I fire it up I get a little further than I did the previous time however it usually takes about 30 minutes to get there meaning little incentive to go again, for me anyway.

sven666 wrote:i thought hyper duel was way to easy, first time i sat down and actually played it i 1CCd it on the first session (maybe 4-5hours of playtime).. thats way to easy for me to have any more than novelty appeal.

Sorry to go off topic but I cannot do shit in Hyper Duel for the life of me. I don't know what it is but I just cannot seem to get into a groove with this game at all and consequently I end up making no progress. It's bogus.

DC906270-BIL
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DC906270-BIL » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 pm

I remember getting to the final boss on 1 credit pretty easily in Hyper Duel, but got wiped out,havnt tried since. but this is the same story with a lot of games, for me anyway :) my 1cc record is piss poor.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:19 am

sven666 wrote:i thought hyper duel was way to easy, first time i sat down and actually played it i 1CCd it on the first session (maybe 4-5hours of playtime).. thats way to easy for me to have any more than novelty appeal.

That final boss is way too much. I guess I must suck.

Pipis and Bibis is okay, if its cheap enough, its worth a play.

I've got a question- whats the deal with the tiger series games? Is Tiger heli and twin cobra the same game?
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 am

The problem spots for me are:

1: Not running into walls on stage 2 (I know, I'm lame)
2: Stage 6
3: Stage 6 boss but I think I got this now.
4: Final Boss

Probably is I usually fuck up 1 or 2 most of the time, so, there you have it. Then again, I almost never, ever play horis so this is kind of my intro to the sub-genre.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:05 am

Hyper Duel is everything I like in a shooting game, it really is, but there is one major problem that has prevented me from ever really getting into in hardcore and that is THE STUPID DAMN SCORE SYSTEM AAAAARRRRGH HEY WE ARE TECHNO SOFT LETS MAKE A SCORE SYSTEM IN A GAME THAT MAKES IT COMPLETELY ANNOYING TO PLAY
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

DC906270-BIL
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DC906270-BIL » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 am

Is Tiger heli and twin cobra the same game?

no, different game at least arcade-wise. Twin Cobra=US version of Kyukyoku Tiger, with "respawn" instead of checkpoint system. Tiger Heli is totally different and older game. i think there may have been some mixing up of the title on the 8-bit home ports, but i forget.
if you check out Toaplan Shooting Battle on PS1, this compilation has both Tiger Heli, Twin Cobra and Kyukyoku Tiger.

Ruldra
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Ruldra » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Dogyuun is too long as well, IMHO. 10 stages is too much. I'd like to hear what Ruldra's MAME clock was when he got the clear.

32 hours total. But even though Dogyuun has 10 stages, each one lasts for about 4 minutes so you don't feel it lasts too long. Meanwhile, Tatsujin Oh has 10-minute stages; the latter ones take even longer. Feels like an eternity and you get bored much faster.

Personally I think it's more about the pacing of the levels than the number of stages. Donpachi is relatively short but the dull levels (especially stage 4) makes the game feel really long to me.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:48 am

I got that asshole last boss on Hyper Duel down to the red and choked. Stage 6 fucks me every time.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”