Data East

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 am

Re: Data East

Postby Magic Knight » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 am

No, this is brand new. If you search on Amazon for "Arcade Gamers" in English, it should be the second one shown. You'll know because it mentions the DECO interview on the cover. There's also a feature on Gamest and a guide to Tower of Druaga with the original instructions cards etc. Most of the magazine is about new games that I'm not interested in though.

User avatar
Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader
Posts: 8046
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:02 am
Location: in da house

Re: Data East

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 am

Guess I'm going to need a direct link. I see two volumes, both from 2010. Don't see anything about DECO on either.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 am

Re: Data East

Postby Magic Knight » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 am

Ok, try this. I wasn't sure if the link would post ok, but see if it works:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC-%E3%83%9B%E3%83%93%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%91%E3%83%B3MOOK-449/dp/4798604186/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342500127&sr=8-2

Ok, here's the link to the publisher's site:
http://hobbyjapan.co.jp/arcadegamer/pc.html

Included in those eight DECO pages there's an interview with Urushibara Yoshiyuki (漆原義之) about the two Dark Seal games.

User avatar
Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader
Posts: 8046
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:02 am
Location: in da house

Re: Data East

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Not a huge Dark Seal fan. Will wait for it to show up used. ;)
Thanks for the tip though! (that's what she said).
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

User avatar
Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:21 am
Location: Australia

Re: Data East

Postby Macaw » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Japanese version of Thunder Zone now in mame thanks to Shou (who's been goin a bit crazy providing the alt jap versions of arcade stuff over the last year :) )

For those that don't know, the World versions of the game were totally fucked due to massively increased difficulty, and no flashing effect on enemies/objects to show that you are damaging it.

Also various graphics changes, and all kinds of little altered details (the world versions have a small added scene after the first boss, and destructible parts of the first boss)
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:19 am
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: Data East

Postby Shou » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Not a huge Dark Seal fan. Will wait for it to show up used. ;)
Thanks for the tip though! (that's what she said).


Bought the book but haven't read it yet. It's in the toilet room though! Majority of the magazine is pretty useless though.
become history
Image

Image

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:19 am
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: Data East

Postby Shou » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 am

Macaw wrote:Japanese version of Thunder Zone now in mame thanks to Shou (who's been goin a bit crazy providing the alt jap versions of arcade stuff over the last year :) )

For those that don't know, the World versions of the game were totally fucked due to massively increased difficulty, and no flashing effect on enemies/objects to show that you are damaging it.

Also various graphics changes, and all kinds of little altered details (the world versions have a small added scene after the first boss, and destructible parts of the first boss)


I still have plenty of versions of games that aren't dumped lol

But as the emu community gives to me, I'll be giving back to the people ;)

We had a bit of discussion on Thunder Zone. For the most part, Japanese manufacturers would leave region specific changes in EPROMs and other data in mask ROMs so that if a game sold poorly in 1 region, all they had to do was pull some chips and burn new ones rather than having to go to factory on them. In every DECO game I've seen from the mid 80's to mid 90's, they all were designed in this fashion, even if the actual game hardware was different like in the case of Locked N Loaded vs GUN HARD. For Thunder Zone, the mask ROMs are actually labelled differently than the other regions but aren't socketed so I didn't mess with them. Potentially, they could contain more changes but I can't be bothered with taking apart this rare board. :P
become history

Image



Image

User avatar
Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader
Posts: 8046
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:02 am
Location: in da house

Re: Data East

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:13 am

Never knew it wasn't dumped. I've only seen it at Mikado though. Great game... blatantly racist, but hey... whatever. Cheers for the dump! I need to get my MAME shit going.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

User avatar
Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:07 am

Re: Data East

Postby Ganelon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 pm

I just noticed something recently related to PlayStation Minis that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. G1M2, known for releasing Data East Arcade Classics for the Wii, has quietly lost its Data East license in the meantime. Its own Ancient Game Treasures: Mill is still available on PSN but its 3 DECO emulations have disappeared. They were:

Burnin' Rubber
Express Raider
Lock 'n' Chase

These games were also available on the Wii collection and aren't very fun so it's no big deal but it's a bit scary that they were removed with no notice or fanfare. This type of quiet removal has never made sense to me from a business perspective when more notice could draw plenty of sales during the last days of a license. Nevertheless, along with similar instances in the past, this incident is a signal that if an old game has been licensed out for digital release, then fans should be wary of it not being purchasable in the near future.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:19 am
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: Data East

Postby Shou » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:03 am

Ganelon wrote:I just noticed something recently related to PlayStation Minis that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. G1M2, known for releasing Data East Arcade Classics for the Wii, has quietly lost its Data East license in the meantime. Its own Ancient Game Treasures: Mill is still available on PSN but its 3 DECO emulations have disappeared. They were:

Burnin' Rubber
Express Raider
Lock 'n' Chase

These games were also available on the Wii collection and aren't very fun so it's no big deal but it's a bit scary that they were removed with no notice or fanfare. This type of quiet removal has never made sense to me from a business perspective when more notice could draw plenty of sales during the last days of a license. Nevertheless, along with similar instances in the past, this incident is a signal that if an old game has been licensed out for digital release, then fans should be wary of it not being purchasable in the near future.


I remember reading about it on Twitter. The latest Game Side I believe has an article on the dangers of digital distribution and licenses. It's just another reason why having the original is better in my eyes.
become history

Image



Image

User avatar
Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 am
Location: NTSC-US

Re: Data East

Postby Pretas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:40 am

Good article on the subject:

The Digital Death of Video Game Art

Anyway, those Data East ports really are no loss. They had glitchy sound from poor emulation.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

User avatar
Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:21 am
Location: Australia

Re: Data East

Postby Macaw » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 am

Messing with Thunder Zone again, the major difference regarding the difficulty in the versions is that In the world versions you really have to rush your shit or the screen gets bombed, in the Japanese versions you can calmly go about slowly taking out harder enemies and progressing through a stage with tons of time to spare. Combined with the massive amount of bombs you can stockpile its really not that hard a clear, just gotta get used to a few of the trickier bosses.

Also gotta mention again the bosses are what makes this game. More epic than the stuff you usually see in 2d action games, and the helicopter boss in stage 3 in particular is still one of the coolest boss fights ever.

Hope it gets a bit more emulation work in mame eventually. The game extensively uses a transparency effect for creating different lighting effects in most stages that doesn't work properly at all in mame.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches


They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

User avatar
CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Data East

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:36 am

Damn, I didn't know about the Thunder Zone JP/World version differences. Was offered the world PCB dirt cheap, but now I think I'm gonna pass. :(


Return to “Japanese Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron