Data East

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 pm

JoshF wrote:
This and similar shows must have had a huge impact on many other Japanese developers and the cinematics in their games.
I could start a thread on it. Rockman has a lot of examples of this, like Blues announcing himself by whistling (inspired by the character Saburo/Hakaider from Jinzou Ningen Kikaider.) In fact I think some of the bosses from the earlier games straight up copy the famous Kamen Rider henshin pose (arm raised diagonally across the face with hand kept flat.)

Also, Chelnov in Japanese is spelled "cherunobu." Add a "ru" on the end of that and you get "Chernobyl" :cry:

Yeah, I know about that reference. Was that so upsetting in Japan though?
Please do start that thread!

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 pm

How about a superhero who gets his powers from earthquakes known as Haitiman? It was probably perceived as insensitive to the tragedy.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Actually Chernobyl is spelled ニ蛋ニ巽ニ停

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 pm

My impression is that these kinds of insesitives happen pretty much all the time in Japan, so I didn't think it would cause such an uproar. But, well, yeah.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:11 am

They don't go into specifics in this interview, but in it's sequel in Chou Arcade, apparently a DECO exec was called into some type of news show interview (not sure how mainstream) and the host really dug into the guy. Pretty sure they got a formal apology in written form (almost secretive) later but the damage was already done.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Scion
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Data East

Postby Scion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:28 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Tips hat to Scion for giving it a once over.

Sorry I'm a little late with my reply (been a busy week), but you're welcome. Anytime, man.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:12 am

An interesting point that I might have to add to the notes:

If you read the Toaplan interview with Tetsuya Uemura, he mentions about Data East investing in mushrooms. When you read the DECO interview, they mention other than gas masks, all the other rumors are urban legend.

However, this article as done in probably 2001 or so. Since all the participants had left Data East several years before, they were probably not talking about some of the later investments that might have broken the company. According to Nico Hyakka they lost heaps of cash on a bad investment in shiitake mushroom cultivation, as well as investments in the manufacturing of minus-ion devices.

Game companies should stick to games. However, it's worth noting they had long since been out of the arcade business, and were pretty much just producing crap at this point. I think it's safe to say Sega would've gone down a similar path had they not altered their tune (instead of changing it altogether). That's the story for another thread, but I think Sega in their current form is better than no form at all.

Other points accordind to the article:
-The interviewer that raised the fuss about Chelnov was forced to resign

According to Wikipedia:
The first Deco Game is a "copy" block kuzushi game called Super Break, released in 1976. The second is a "copy" version of Circus, and the third is a "copy" of Space Invaders. Their first original game was Space Fighter, in 1979.

Other than the handful of games in the article, apparently Kuuga 2 (1992) and Touga (1994) were cancelled games, presumably for the arcade. Touga's kanji are "fight" and "fang" (as in Kuuga).

Companies spawned by DECO:
Tecnos Japan: formed by the former managing director, Kunio Taki
Idea Factory: formed by former employees
Work Jam: Formed by former employees, and acquired the Jinzaburo series rights (and continue to make games)
Cattle Call: Formed from former DECO developers (Metal Max 3)

Other:
G-Mode: Holds over half the rights of DECO games
Paon: Holds Hercules no Koei rights, and reportedly the Karnof & Chelnov rights.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:55 am

Nice ones.

G-Mode aquired Data East license list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Mode

Distributed via mobile, Wii and Gametap:
http://www.gametap.com/video-games/Tumb ... 09-13.html

Tons of SNK, Sega and Taito stuff on there, too.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:24 am

I wonder if G-mode has the rights to make a new Fighter's History game with the Karnov character. And Paon needs to get to work taking advantage of the licenses it has.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:49 am

Makes you wonder why someone would buy the rights and then do shit with them.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 am

[quote="Gaijin Punch"]Companies spawned by DECO:
Work Jam: Formed by former employees, and acquired the Jinzaburo series rights (and continue to make games)
quote]

Detective Jinguji Saburo series aka Jake Hunter in the West I believe
become history

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon May 03, 2010 8:19 am

OT:

This interview series was started with "The Man Who Made Ikari" and continued with "Metal Black". Now today, we fondly look back at DECO.

You wouldn't happen to have that Metal Black article? Another thing I'd love to see is an interview or article on the early days of Tecnosoft (TF1 and back).

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu May 06, 2010 11:08 am

Potential another score competition. Check the score forum thread.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 pm

I might have it somewhere, zinger. These books are quite cheap. I have all the others that interest me. :)

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:19 pm

DECO event at Mikado http://blog02.mi-ka-do.net/?eid=1033950

I keep getting tempted to go live in japan for a bit just to be able to go to funny shit like this ;)

Also I gotta say it again, Edward Randy is one of the best action games ever made.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for finding this -- perhaps my cue to finally get off my ass and go. Oscar is a piece of piss. Even I've 1CC'ed it. The other two will be interesting to see though, although I have a Dark Seal super play here somewhere. Still love DECO though. Must go by default.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Dark Seal is quite easy too actually. You have all the time in the world to slowly go through the levels killing everything, stuff doesn't respawn, and finding all the treasure gives plenty of health pick ups. Of course I doubt people would be going to this event just to get tips... Just seeing DECO games be played is always a rockin time!

Also I hadn't given it much time in the past, but DECO's Kyoukou Toppa is super cool. One of the best 'car action' games in my opinion alongside stuff like Road Fighter and Mad Gear. Stuff like jumping over the chasms in the bridge stage is both totally hilarious and frikkin awesome.

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Yeah, I've never played a DECO game in the arcade I didn't 1CC, but they're no pushover games either. O.S.C.A.R. is really cool, Dark Seal too. ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:08 am

Play Karnov then. ;)

I actually had some business in Takadanobaba so stopped by.

Good: Layout and more space. That old building was too cramped
Bad: Too many fighting games and not enough games I want to play. :(

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Yeah, Kernow is crazy complex. :cry: That's "the one that got away".

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 am

What about (Bad Dudes vs.) Dragon Ninja and Special Agent? Games I played as a boy but not tried to play competitively now that I'm a man (haha).

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:24 am

missile command, now thats a real mans game!

Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:What about (Bad Dudes vs.) Dragon Ninja and Special Agent? Games I played as a boy but not tried to play competitively now that I'm a man (haha).

Bad Dudes is shithouse. Same 3 enemies repeated in all the bland stages. Its hilarious, when I was reading reviews of the recently released Data East collection on wii (which sucks because its missing most of Data Easts coolest games and has shit graphics display) but regardless the western reviewers usual cite Bad Dudes as the main reason to get the collection, obviously just because of the whole 'Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president' reputation the game has now, yet the reviewers totally ignore or write off the actual good games in the collection like Dark Seal 2.

Secret Agent is decent and you might have some fun with it, but its nothing more than average.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 am

Macaw wrote:Bad Dudes is shithouse. Same 3 enemies repeated in all the bland stages. Its hilarious, when I was reading reviews of the recently released Data East collection on wii (which sucks because its missing most of Data Easts coolest games and has shit graphics display) but regardless the western reviewers usual cite Bad Dudes as the main reason to get the collection, obviously just because of the whole 'Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president' reputation the game has now, yet the reviewers totally ignore or write off the actual good games in the collection like Dark Seal 2.

Secret Agent is decent and you might have some fun with it, but its nothing more than average.

I think for Americans, Bad Dudes holds a special place in gaming history as the belt scroll game between Double Dragon and Final Fight. I know I played it quite a bit back then and have both the JP/US boards since they're different. Oddly enough, the FC port is much more playable to me.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 am

Yeah, I'm w/ Shou on this one. It's not that it's a great game... just that it was popular at the time b/c of the goofy voice overs mainly. I shoved quarters in it. Also has Karnov in there for good measure.

Should really get into another Deco game once I get the new office set up. The arcade monitor is cold.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”