I think I want another Saturn...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

I think I want another Saturn...

Postby Ganelon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:56 am

OK, I'm finally sick of moving save data from my 4-in-1 to my Saturn and back each time I switch to a few different games. If I get a modded Saturn, that'll free up my 4-in-1 to serve as a memory cart, right? If that's so, then is anyone here selling a fairly inexpensive modded US Saturn (don't want a JP one and the fees for modding one are nearly the same as getting a new one)?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:08 am

I think you're S-O-L. There are probably very few modded saturns, just b/c the 4-in-1 is such an easy option. That's my take on the scene anyway. Every import forum I've been to has someone wanting to get into the Saturn, and asking where to get his modded. The reply is always the same -- "get a 4-in-1!"
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:39 pm

bit extreme... if you have lazy few hundreds dollars I can sell you CartDevRev.B Saturn console only. It has region mod already done... very professional... :) cheers
Image My VGA Store http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby geelw2 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:53 pm

it's actually cheaper to get a 4-in-1 or a japanese saturn than to get a system modded (and you don't have to worry about anything going wrong). there's still this :roll: "cool" factor attached to modding systems that makes some people automatically gravitate to this almost always less sensible option, but that's human nature+ "technonlogy", as i call it. man loves to tinker with stuff that works fine to try and make it better somehow, lol...

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:04 pm

if you get a 4 in 1 do not constantly remove it from the system, the board is thicker than the carts meant to go in there and seperates the pins if the 4 in 1 is removed and inserted multiple times. I can get you a boxed white japanese saturn for 70.00 shipped from my connection in Japan. Most Mod chips for saturns are for playing back ups only, if you find an import capable chip itll cost you 150.00 or more to buy the chip and have it installed.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:05 am

Ah, well. I think I'll stick with what I have then. I was just really annoyed yesterday but I seem to have gathered control of my senses. I've seen quite a few import-modded (or so I thought) Saturns go by for around $50 on the net but never bothered to snatch one up since I never felt like spending the money when I already have the capability to do the same thing with the 4-in-1 only with some more hassle. Today, I realize again that the money used for a chipped system could be spent more wisely. But thanks for the advice.

StriderNC
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby StriderNC » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:56 am

u know it's actually really easy to mod ur saturn urself.... I'm shocked no one mentioned this as a option... a VERY cheap and easy mod. I have modded about 30 saturns in my lifetime, for friends, import stores, myself ect. feel free to ask me how to do it... u can get everything u need from radio shack. if interested ask me for my email on here.

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:04 pm

If you only want to sitch it between two regions you only need a two way switch with two, what are they called now again? Anyways, two separate switches in the switch. Takes 5 min to do the mod. Then there is this "small" trouble of drilling in the shell and making it look good. ^^;; When you start wanting to change between more regions it gets a little more advanced.
Panda papanda kopanda

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:16 am

Thanks a lot for the suggestion and offer for help. However, I'm over my annoyance (not to mention quite a few Saturn games don't offer direct memory cart saves anyway) and my mechanical skills are piss-poor. :cry:

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:45 am

there are several web pages showing you the multitude of mod including switcheless mod which is quite elegant. I've been thinking of doing one of my Saturn but never got around and now with baby on hand this wouldn't happen in near future... I will probably use my US Saturn over JPN one as grey one's too busy inside compared to M2 round button Saturn. thankfully majority of my Saturn titles - like 95% - are JPN import so I rarely use ARP4-1 cart... only when I want to play PAL Burning Ranger or US MKR. cheers

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:00 am

Am I missing something? I always heard that Saturn was the bitchiest system when it came to modding. Points had to pe soldered almost perfectly, etc. IE -- not the newbie machine to be modding, like an Xbox.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Schmeetz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Schmeetz » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:23 pm

Nah, it's not that hard. I did both a CDR and country mod, and I'm a poor solderer if I say so myself. It's on the same difficulty level as a Dreamcast mod, if you take your time and have a good iron, it's not that hard.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:24 am

yea getting proper iron - not the cheapo you can get for $3 :) - and planning ahead is the key to success. still doing 1st gen 29 wire mod chip on one of my Xbox was hard even after I spend an hour planning and comparing and etc before actually lifting soldering iron... i managed to lift the track and had to solder bypass wires to cover my mistake - major pain in the backside as you have to trace the track to find the common point and run the wire to bypass lifted track... cheers

Return to “Japanese Video Games”