[ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

[ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Postby Shou » Mon May 30, 2011 5:08 am

I think some people here know that I supply some of the odd boards at Try which are put on play in the retro floor.

Just thought I'd make a thread to give notice for any new games that I loan out for location so that Tokyo local forum members can have a go at some of them. If you have a request, let me know and I'll see what can be done.

The natives obviously prefer to see games that were not released in Japan so we may be making a Yo-ge corner soon.

Right now, I've loaned them:

Guardians of the 'Hood - the Atari digitized belt action game, this was actually a request

Last Hope Pink Bullets - everyone should know what this is, V1.1

SWAT Police - Korean developed Blood Bros. type of game with some stolen backgrounds from various Neo Geo games

Twin Qix - this is the JP region version with the Izumi Takemoto artwork, obviously the proto version

On deck:

Donkey Kong II - this is the recent fan made sequel that most Japanese fans have never had a go at

Recalhorn - the unreleased F3 action platformer, was cancelled after a poor location test in the mid 90's

Tenth Degree - unreleased 3D fighter by James Goddard, the gaijin who worked on SF2' Turbo, SSF2 and WeaponLord, it's surprisingly playable
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon May 30, 2011 5:52 am

HAhahahahahaha Guardians of the Hood.

The fucked thing about it is that it actually has probably the largest amount of moves for each character than any other brawler, probably even more so than Guardians. The only problem is that there are no movelists and no easy ways of figuring shit out apart from save states in emulators. Seriously I figured out like 15 different types of throws with Chief... Once I figured out how to do piledrivers and shit I actually started having fun playing the game :conf:

I'd be interested to watch Japanese dudes play the game in an arcade and see if they know about this stuff, without knowledge of the moves the game is pretty much impossible to 1cc.

By the way Shou, is it known at all in the community over there if there are boards in existence for stuff like AC Burai Fighter or the arcade Ninja Gaiden 2 location test?

Last Odyssey is another unreleased game but seems like it was finished and copies exist http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/last_odyssey.htm

Please find it so I can take a flight to japan and play it heheheh
:)
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon May 30, 2011 8:55 am

Macaw wrote:HAhahahahahaha Guardians of the Hood.

The fucked thing about it is that it actually has probably the largest amount of moves for each character than any other brawler, probably even more so than Guardians. The only problem is that there are no movelists and no easy ways of figuring shit out apart from save states in emulators. Seriously I figured out like 15 different types of throws with Chief... Once I figured out how to do piledrivers and shit I actually started having fun playing the game :conf:

I'd be interested to watch Japanese dudes play the game in an arcade and see if they know about this stuff, without knowledge of the moves the game is pretty much impossible to 1cc.

By the way Shou, is it known at all in the community over there if there are boards in existence for stuff like AC Burai Fighter or the arcade Ninja Gaiden 2 location test?

Last Odyssey is another unreleased game but seems like it was finished and copies exist http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/last_odyssey.htm

Please find it so I can take a flight to japan and play it heheheh
:)

Try asked me for the movelist and the only one I know is the projectile (646P?). If you can pass over what you know, I'll put up the movelist on the machine and tell players to find more. lol

I don't think either proto is in the hand of a collector. Burai Fighter AC is still with the president of KID from what I read.

Japanese aren't big on sharing as you know. :P

I may be able to get a working copy of Last Survivor which I'll pass on to the MAME team.
become history

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: [ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon May 30, 2011 11:27 am

Shou wrote:Tenth Degree - unreleased 3D fighter by James Goddard, the gaijin who worked on SF2' Turbo, SSF2 and WeaponLord, it's surprisingly playable

Woah, I did not know there was actually a connection between SF2 and Weapon Lord...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 pm

It's shocking how developers of old seem to be clueless about what happens to the loke test versions (or at least have that stance). The awesomest game book ever (The Kiki Kaikai book from a couple of years ago) has some very, very long interviews w/ the developers. Apparently the loke test version of that was quite different, and is "probably floating out there somewhere".

Ah, to think what some people have...
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon May 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Shou wrote:Try asked me for the movelist and the only one I know is the projectile (646P?). If you can pass over what you know, I'll put up the movelist on the machine and tell players to find more. lol

I don't know what the official button layout is (the flyer mentions 3 attack buttons as well as 'muscle' and 'defend'), but in mame there appears to be 2 punches, 2 kicks, and a block button, so I'll just call them as such.

Back a few years ago when I was messing around with a save state I could have listed a shitload, but here is what I remember:

With Chief, punch 2 when you are extremely close to an enemy with throw them to the ground. Moving towards an enemy and pressing both punches together will do a piledriver.

The best tactic I figured out with him is to roll (double tap direction) into an enemy, and when you're inside them press punch 2 to do the throw to the ground, then as they do their stand up animation you piledriver them. Have to be careful with the throw to the ground, as moving towards an enemy and pressing punch 2 does a headbutt grab instead.

Pressing different combination of the normal moves together also results in different moves, for example punch 2 and kick 2 together does a dashing chest attack. Pressing different buttons when the enemies are on the floor also results in a bunch of different ground attacks. In the 1vs1 gym sections there are even special commands for smashing them into the gym equipment and stuff.

I should eventually do another save state and try get a clean and easy to read moves list done, at least for Chief. It still boggles my mind how many moves are in the game, I haven't even tried to figure out stuff with the other characters.

Shou wrote:I don't think either proto is in the hand of a collector. Burai Fighter AC is still with the president of KID from what I read.

Japanese aren't big on sharing as you know. :P

The fact they exist is the main thing. I'm sure Tecmo must still have Ninja Gaiden 2 around somewhere. Are there even any magazine screenshots of that one? Its so weird that a (neo geo?) belt action game in the ninja gaiden series from the mid 90's is so mysterious. Even Mad Dancing at least had those magazine screens.

Shou wrote:I may be able to get a working copy of Last Survivor which I'll pass on to the MAME team.

That cool. Apparantly MAME has drama out the ass atm though, at least after reading hazes blog. Seems people don't want to work on certain drivers, and keep drivers and stuff private for long periods of time, among other things, all due to internal politics and stuff. massive war here in the comments: http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2011/05/2 ... /#comments

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 31, 2011 12:29 am

That cool. Apparantly MAME has drama out the ass atm though, at least after reading hazes blog. Seems people don't want to work on certain drivers, and keep drivers and stuff private for long periods of time, among other things, all due to internal politics and stuff. massive war here in the comments: http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2011/05/2 ... /#comments

Cool. For a minute there it sounded like grown men were devoting a lot of time to being childish about video games.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: [ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Postby Shou » Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 am

citcelaid wrote:
Shou wrote:Tenth Degree - unreleased 3D fighter by James Goddard, the gaijin who worked on SF2' Turbo, SSF2 and WeaponLord, it's surprisingly playable

Woah, I did not know there was actually a connection between SF2 and Weapon Lord...

He actually worked on a number of CPS-I/II games before moving to Namco US. WeaponLord should have had an arcade version, really ahead of its time.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue May 31, 2011 12:55 am

I've never seen a screenshot of Ninja Gaiden II but I don't think I had a complete set of Gamest from that period.

It's interesting to note that Game Fan ran a bunch of rumors of Ninja Gaiden on Neo Geo at the time. Who knew that they were actually telling the truth? lol
become history

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 am

I enjoy Guardians in the Hood but its unconventional button setup is a huge pain.

And although it's not my cup of tea, folks who enjoyed the works of James Goddard ought to check out Shred Nebula. He designed that game (first title from his company CrunchTime Games) and actively promoted it when it came out.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue May 31, 2011 5:02 am

Macaw wrote:I don't know what the official button layout is (the flyer mentions 3 attack buttons as well as 'muscle' and 'defend'), but in mame there appears to be 2 punches, 2 kicks, and a block button, so I'll just call them as such.

I should eventually do another save state and try get a clean and easy to read moves list done, at least for Chief. It still boggles my mind how many moves are in the game, I haven't even tried to figure out stuff with the other characters.

The official layout is similar to Dark Edge:

no use weak p strong p
o o o
o o o
guard weak k strong k

Thanks for the info. The dashing/rolling is definitely very useful. I've just seen the button combo moves (weak P+K or strong P+K) and the projectiles. Are there mid level moves? I don't get why there is standing and crouching guard...
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Yeah, there are high and low moves Shou.

Anyway, for the first time in history here is a complete Guardians of the 'Hood move list for the character CHIEF.

As absurdly terrible the game is in so many ways, its hilarious that its also by far the most technical scrolling brawler ever, the amount of shit each character can do is absolutely staggering. Its even more crazy that the company never released any command lists to show all the stuff you could do. If more people knew you could do shit like backbreakers, piledrivers and repeated knee's to the face I doubt it will have as terrible reputation as it does, as these moves actually make the game pretty fun, at least in a gimmicky way.

Also this list is what I've found so far and there are likely some moves missing, and remember this is only for Chief, each character has totally different stuff.

BEHOLD:

Code: Select all

Chief Move List

Key
----------

p1      = weak punch
p2      = strong punch
k1      = weak kick
k2      = strong kick
g       = guard
towards = direction towards the enemy
back    = direction away from enemy
neutral = joystick must be in neutral position, no direction pressed
close   = must be right next to enemy

Universal character moves
--------------------
left or right x 2    - roll
g                    - high guard
down + g             - low guard
g + k1               - pick up item

Moves while enemy is standing:
--------------------

p1                           - body punch
p2                           - face punch
k1                           - fast kick
k2                           - side kick
towards + p1 (close)         - elbow
towards + k1 (close)         - knee
k2 (close)                   - big downwards slap (puts enemy in 'down on all fours' position)
p1 + p2 (close)              - uppercut
p1 + p2 (far)                - downwards slap (puts enemy in 'down on all fours' position)
p1 + k1                      - lariat
p2 + k2                      - chest attack
neutral + p2 (close)         - (grab) throw to ground
towards + p2 (close)         - (grab) headbutt
towards + p1 + p2 (close)    - (grab) piledriver
neutral + p2 + k2 (close)    - (grab) far toss
towards + p2 + k2 (close)    - (grab) big far toss
towards + k1 + k2 (close)    - (grab) knee to chest

Moves while enemy is in 'down on all fours' position:
--------------------

p1 or p2 or k1 or k2 (close) - hammer smash
neutral + p1 + p2 (close)    - (grab) overhead throw
neutral + p1 + k1 (close)    - (grab) backbreaker
neutral + p2 + k2 (close)    - (grab) upwards smash
neutral + k1 + k2 (close)    - (grab) knee's to face
towards + p1 + p2 (close)    - (grab) piledriver

Moves while enemy is on ground:
--------------------

p1 or p2 (close)             - body splash
k1 or k2 (close)             - double knee drop
p1 + p2 (close)              - elbow drop
p1 + k1 or p2 + k2 (close)   - side elbow drop

Super moves (uses a super star):
--------------------

towards, back, towards + p1 or k1 - slow sonic clap
towards, back, towards + p2 or k2 - fast sonic clap
Last edited by Macaw on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

I think I've heard somewhere that Ganryu got mixed up as the Ninja Gaiden sequel, and there was never supposed to be any Ninja Gaiden II on Neo Geo.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:12 am

loempiavreter wrote:I think I've heard somewhere that Ganryu got mixed up as the Ninja Gaiden sequel, and there was never supposed to be any Ninja Gaiden II on Neo Geo.

There definitely was a Tecmo Ninja Gaiden II on MVS location test in Japan as a number of natives have reported. I remember reading about it in Gamest but don't remember any pics.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:34 am

Yeah i remember reading somewhere that it had 3 playable characters and definitely was a belt scroll game.

Also I changed the layout of the move list to make more sense and also added some stuff. The 'neutral' command is incredibly important considering how strict the game is with needing a neutral joystick position for certain moves.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 am

Macaw wrote:Yeah i remember reading somewhere that it had 3 playable characters and definitely was a belt scroll game.

Also I changed the layout of the move list to make more sense and also added some stuff. The 'neutral' command is incredibly important considering how strict the game is with needing a neutral joystick position for certain moves.

Thanks, I'm going to translate it and ready it for the machine this weekend.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:18 am

I guess that means a lot of Japanese will be using Chief hahahahaa. I may try do another character soon, but having movelists for each character in this game will be like having a novel written on the cabinet.

also, promo vid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwRJKKoy1U

Love the music ;)

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 am

Recalhorn - the unreleased F3 action platformer, was cancelled after a poor location test in the mid 90's

I'm thinking of having a wander over on saturday evening now - i want to check this out :)

I've quit drinking (lol, no seriously!) so i need something to keep my mind off boozing on a saturday!
Beautiful Burnout

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:19 am

That remind me now about Spellsinger, the unreleased game from the Belgian company Art & Magic.

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=spells ... il&id=4576

Supposedly its a fantasy action platformer, and considering the quality standard of the company it probably had some cool ass visuals. Boards most likely still exist considering there are people that said they played what seemed like a complete version of the game back in the mid 90's.

This is what was apparently the site of the game, and it had screenshots, but I haven't been able to retrieve it with wayback machine yet:

www.art-magic.be/spell.htm
http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http:/ ... t-magic.be

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Does try have an other one-offs or really rare boards there? Every time I've gone, other than the oddball game like Mortal Kombat, it's been a pretty standard (but awesome) retro floor. It seemed to me Mikado had slightly more rare stuff, like that special version of Gradius II (I think) and Darius Gaiden Extra. I've still not gone to Takadanobaba.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 am

dcharlie wrote:

I'm thinking of having a wander over on saturday evening now - i want to check this out :)

I've quit drinking (lol, no seriously!) so i need something to keep my mind off boozing on a saturday!

It's not up for play yet so come over to my place if you want to play it on Sat night :)
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Does try have an other one-offs or really rare boards there? Every time I've gone, other than the oddball game like Mortal Kombat, it's been a pretty standard (but awesome) retro floor. It seemed to me Mikado had slightly more rare stuff, like that special version of Gradius II (I think) and Darius Gaiden Extra. I've still not gone to Takadanobaba.

Off of the top of my head:

They had a special version of Salamander 1 up on the store floor the last time I was there but not sure if it's still there.

They still have Darius Extra and Darius Gaiden Extra up for play.

Hot Dog Storm was up for play last month but has since been taken out.

Denjin Makai is setup for play.

I was thinking of taking Gun Ball up there as even the Mak guys said they've never seen it before.

OT but I heard Hey has Mushi Cave 1.5 up for play already.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 am

Macaw wrote:I guess that means a lot of Japanese will be using Chief hahahahaa. I may try do another character soon, but having movelists for each character in this game will be like having a novel written on the cabinet.

Here's my quick and dirty translation put into my template.

http://yfrog.com/h3j3cfgj

I don't mind sticking huge lists to the machine. I think it'll make the game more appealing![/url]
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 am

OT but I heard Hey has Mushi Cave 1.5 up for play already.

They've apparently got 2.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 am

Shou wrote:
Macaw wrote:I guess that means a lot of Japanese will be using Chief hahahahaa. I may try do another character soon, but having movelists for each character in this game will be like having a novel written on the cabinet.

Here's my quick and dirty translation put into my template.

http://yfrog.com/h3j3cfgj

I don't mind sticking huge lists to the machine. I think it'll make the game more appealing![/url]

Hahahahahaha Shou that is utterly awesome.

However you've translated my old version of the list. Having the separate section for grabs is confusing because most of the 'all fours' moves are grabs too, and also the neutral joystick command is pretty important otherwise people are gonna be wondering why a lot of the stuff isnt working.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”