[ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: [ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Postby Shou » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:42 am

zinger wrote:Assault is such a blast to play, wish I could go there now! Whoever is in the area, don't miss out if you haven't tried it!

By the way, was there ever a sit-down/deluxe version of the Assault cab? I suppose not?

Assault was just a conversion kit in Japan.
become history

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:41 pm

I see. Would have been cool with a tank-styled sit-down thingy -- oh well! :)

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:14 am

I think I will bop on down to TRY tomorrow to play some more Double Dragon 2 before it gets rotated out. I forgot how much I dig that game. I wish I could get my hands on the damn PCB. :x

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sat May 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Well the the retro game 8th floor of Try Tower closes tomorrow. Now I don't know where I am going to go. I guess I have to hit the interwebs and search around. Although HEY has games that I like to play, I don't really like it because it is too loud and too crowded. TRY was perfect because it wasn't crowded, they regularly changed out the games, and it was kind of grungy the way I used to remember arcades. Oh well.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Where do you live? I was always irked when Mikado moved from Shinjuku to Takadanobaba, but whatever. It's a better space for sure, but it was way further away from me.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun May 07, 2017 4:19 am

I am in the southern edge of Tokyo near Haneda, so the time to get to Mikado is probably about the same as it is to get to TRY. I will have a look at their site and see what they have running. It sucks because I used to hit TRY after shopping.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sun May 07, 2017 9:09 am

That's sad news, do you know what will become of the 8th floor? I suppose it can't have brought a lot of income...

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 am

I am not sure what is happening to the 8th floor, but the sign in the elevator said some of the games may make their way to the 7th floor. So, I don't know exactly.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 08, 2017 3:45 am

Shou probably knows but it's hard to catch him these days. TRY was definitely conveniently located if you hit Akihabara shops. Maybe it's time to embrace Nakano? Not exactly next door to Takadanobaba but not a huge stretch either.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon May 15, 2017 6:22 am

Holy shit, that's sad. I didn't stop in there nearly as much as I did HEY, but once I figure out where I was I tried to pop in at least every other time I went to Akiba. It seemed like one of the handful of places that was still managing to hold its ground in the face of the total anime invasion.

I used to go to Mikado in Shinjuku fairly regularly when I first was in Japan ten years ago, but I never once set foot in the place once it moved to Takadanobaba. It was too far off out of the way for me, especially when I was coming in from Chiba.

Are there decent arcades in Nakano? I know the Broadway was a fairly well-known haunt, but I've been hearing a lot recently about it being the last refuge for true nerds of all stripes.
You also distaste me with passion!

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Although I have been to Nakano many times, I never went there looking for arcades. The other day, TRY sent out a tweet saying they moved about ten or so games from the 8th floor down to the 7th. So I guess the retro floor lives on if only partially.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”