[ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:46 am

Macaw wrote:Hahahahahaha Shou that is utterly awesome.

However you've translated my old version of the list. Having the separate section for grabs is confusing because most of the 'all fours' moves are grabs too, and also the neutral joystick command is pretty important otherwise people are gonna be wondering why a lot of the stuff isnt working.

I used the usual Japanese fighting notation for neutral which is 5. The moves for when they are hunched over I noted are after those moves so I think people will get it after they get over the fact that there are so many moves!

Unfortunately, I just got a call from Try this morning saying that GOTH is performing pretty damn bad so they want to switch it out!
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 am

hahhahahaha that must've been the funniest conversation ever.

Shou: "but, but I have a movelist now that might make people interested!"
Try: "but dude the game is just too fucked"
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:07 am

t's not up for play yet so come over to my place if you want to play it on Sat night

that's an idea - unfortunately, my plan has been shunted due to Elly needing me to be around. I still need to hand over UN Squadron :)
Beautiful Burnout

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:29 am

Macaw wrote:hahhahahaha that must've been the funniest conversation ever.

Shou: "but, but I have a movelist now that might make people interested!"
Try: "but dude the game is just too fucked"

That's pretty much how it went. I sent over a message saying that I got this huge movelist from a friend which will get people interested.

They said, "It's the worst performer on the floor, need to swap it out with something else that people will play and not just make fun of."
become history

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: [ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Postby undamned » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Shou wrote:Twin Qix - this is the JP region version with the Izumi Takemoto artwork, obviously the proto version

Recalhorn - the unreleased F3 action platformer, was cancelled after a poor location test in the mid 90's

Dude, I have a Twin Qix proto as well! Posted it a while back on shmups: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 83#p531883

So is your Recalhorn game on a simliar hardware set or is it a cart proto?

Haha, Guardians of the Hood. I picked mine up for a song (probably $30) aeons ago and when 8 1/2 (from shmups) visited, he thought it was so aweful/amazing that he picked one up, too! :D
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: [ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Postby Shou » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 am

undamned wrote:Dude, I have a Twin Qix proto as well! Posted it a while back on shmups: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 83#p531883

So is your Recalhorn game on a simliar hardware set or is it a cart proto?

Both of them, Dankuga and Command War are carts.

Out of all of them games, SWAT Police is apparently doing very very well with Last Hope behind it. Hopefully will have time to put in Recalhorn and DKII on Saturday.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:12 am

Last Hope Pink Bullets and SWAT Police have been taken out. The former performed pretty poorly due to the console version being out already.

Donkey Kong II will probably be active from today. It got a huge reception on Saturday as we pulled it out for a gathering of PCB collectors and even the owner of the Natsukashii Game Museum asked to borrow it for their arcade.

Also, Herohero-kun will be put in today too. It's a Korean developed Wonder Boy clone based upon a Japanese manga/anime property that runs on the Crystal System.
become history

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Shou wrote:Also, Herohero-kun will be put in today too. It's a Korean developed Wonder Boy clone based upon a Japanese manga/anime property that runs on the Crystal System.

The BrezzaSoft Crystal System?

Is it by the same guys that made Top Blade V?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:11 am

nem wrote:
Shou wrote:Also, Herohero-kun will be put in today too. It's a Korean developed Wonder Boy clone based upon a Japanese manga/anime property that runs on the Crystal System.

The BrezzaSoft Crystal System?

Is it by the same guys that made Top Blade V?

Yes, it is on that Crystal System but the dev is different from Top Blade V which is actually Beyblade, the famous kids anime.
become history

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:58 am

I'm curious about the hardware of Herohero-kun. Is it a cart, or a PCB, like Top Blade V?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 am

It was added to mame recently if I recall.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:16 am

citcelaid wrote:I'm curious about the hardware of Herohero-kun. Is it a cart, or a PCB, like Top Blade V?

It's a cart/mobo system. Beyblade is the same as well. However, the carts and mobo are bare meaning they don't have any of the plastic casing seen on The Crystal of Kings or Evolution Soccer.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 am

Donkey Kong II is doing huge numbers (best income on the retro floor ever) and other arcade owners have asked to borrow it so it'll likely stay there for awhile.

I passed over the Korean bootleg PCB of Natsume's Gundam Wing but not sure if it'll be put in as retro fighters don't tend to do well.

Likely will do Thunder Hoop Strikes Back next.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Donkey Kong II... refresh my memory. This isn't Donkey Kong Junior? From what I heard from our mutual friend, Donkey Kong 3 was pretty rare here. I remember playing it quite a bit at Pistol Pete's as a kid... stuffing my fat ass with pizza in between rounds.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 am

I'm guessing he's talking about this.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 am

Yup, it's what Tain linked to. Basically, a doujin DK sequel set up for coin play (it's normally free play only). Besides having 4 new stages, being based on the US rev of DK1, there are barrel behavior and tech differences according to our mutual friend. He even went by and has been dumping coins into the machine.

The board set is pretty unique as it's a 2 layer board DK1 with a Japanese ROM set (JP version only came in a 4 layer board version) and the added sub board for DK2 where US DK1 is also selectable.
become history

gamemaker
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

D2K

Postby gamemaker » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:06 am

This thread is so cool! This may be the first time that D2K was ever played in Japan. Is D2K inside an arcade? Would you please send me pictures of it for my scrapbook? Do people in Japan like the game? Do they understand that it is not an official Nintendo release?

Jeff Kulczycki
D2K Creator

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 am

Jeff-

On my way over to play Phoenix and Omega Race...

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: D2K

Postby Shou » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 am

gamemaker wrote:This thread is so cool! This may be the first time that D2K was ever played in Japan. Is D2K inside an arcade? Would you please send me pictures of it for my scrapbook? Do people in Japan like the game? Do they understand that it is not an official Nintendo release?

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been out of the country.

Yes, D2K is in a famous arcade in Japan. The instructions we've made for it mention that it's an American fan release and not official. It's extremely popular with the locals and is #1 on the retro floor. I've had other arcades ask to borrow the PCB but for now it is only at Try.
become history

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:14 am

Shou wrote:#1 on the retro floor.

The concept of a retro floor just blows my mind...

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm

So, what is the agreement you have with the arcades you "lend" to? Do they give you money if they turn a good profit or is it just payment enough for you to know that people dig your stuff?
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 am

Shou, I'm curious to know if you've ever seen Battletoads in a Japanese arcade? I'd like to know how they react to it, I think its an awesome game but being Western developed its quite hard thanks to the credit feeding mentality. Thankfully all the stuff in the game does have patterns and its definitely possible to 1cc it I reckon once the special moves are understood, I'm making quite decent progress with it at the moment.

Certainly nowhere near as hard as Combatribes with default settings or something like that.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 am

brentsg wrote:
Shou wrote:#1 on the retro floor.

The concept of a retro floor just blows my mind...

It's a trend that most multi-floor arcades have been following. I was very surprised by the retro floor in Sega's newer Club Sega Akiba. They have a dedicated Hang On, Daytona 2, F-Zero AX, Airline Pilots, Ferrari 3 screen, Star Wars Trilogy, etc.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 am

undamned wrote:So, what is the agreement you have with the arcades you "lend" to? Do they give you money if they turn a good profit or is it just payment enough for you to know that people dig your stuff?

Depends upon the arcade, butI can't go into details. :)

I mostly do it for people to have access to play the games on a real cab. In return, I've met many of the local collectors, owners, etc who have given me insight into the scene over the last 2 decades that no book has been able to capture.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:40 am

Macaw wrote:Shou, I'm curious to know if you've ever seen Battletoads in a Japanese arcade? I'd like to know how they react to it, I think its an awesome game but being Western developed its quite hard thanks to the credit feeding mentality. Thankfully all the stuff in the game does have patterns and its definitely possible to 1cc it I reckon once the special moves are understood, I'm making quite decent progress with it at the moment.

Certainly nowhere near as hard as Combatribes with default settings or something like that.

I think Mikado bought this recently and I've been meaning to get it up to Try but I've been on summer holiday but never seen it up for play in Tokyo.
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”