[ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 am

Went to Try yesterday having just flown in. I was a bit disappointed that they use emulators in some of the machines, but they've got a nice enough selection. I waited for ages for a guy to finish playing Dragon Spirit (got to Stage 9) as I wanted to see if the graphics fault on my board was present on theirs. Thankfully, they were. Last week just before leaving the country I had the same deal with Splatter House in HEY, had to wait for a guy to finish the whole game (can't skip the credits...) before I could see if its graphics faults were the same as on mine. Thankfully again, they were.

I bought a Konami 80's Gallery from them too, nice original artwork. Got After Burner II with a controller from MAK. Trying to convince my wife that they were cheap. I'm in a Sega mid-80's analogue-controller frenzy at the moment.

I sold Battle Toads on YAJ in October, for 12000 yen. I'll be selling more games before long, I should start here I suppose, for you "local" gentlemen.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

How long are you in town for? I could might make it out Aki way if you fancied grabbing a beer. Coincidentally, I will be volunteering in Ishinomaki in a few weeks if that floats your boat.

Glad your boards aren't defective... or aren't anymore than anyone else's.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:01 pm

[quote="Gaijin Punch"]How long are you in town for? I could might make it out Aki way if you fancied grabbing a beer. Coincidentally, I will be volunteering in Ishinomaki in a few weeks if that floats your boat.

Glad your boards aren't defective... or aren't anymore than anyone else's.[/quote]

I'm already back in tropical Iwate I'm afraid, I slept all the way up, carrying around my stuff from home and then new stuff nearly killed me in the heat. Back home it was [i]far[/i] cooler, about half what it is here.

I think I've only been to Ishinomaki once, so you're beating me there. My own city was badly flooded again today, the sea level has risen and the ground has dropped.

I spent ages checking the ROMs on those games, nearly drove me mad. I managed to fix 4 other games by reseating ROMs etc. just recently. Brought 2 more down to MAK to see what can be done with them.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:43 am

You have far more dedication than me. My tool box has a screw driver & credit card in it. I just find I have less and less time to devote to the more "hands on" parts of the hobby. I TATE'ed my monitor the other day to give my remaining few rotary PCBs a whirl, and noticed I don't have the fucking power cable for the Raijin (which isn't standard). :|
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

gamemaker
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby gamemaker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 am

What city is Try Arcade located in? Does anyone have any pictures or links?

Jeff

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:59 am

Tokyo
Stronger then your average deadite

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:29 am

gamemaker wrote:What city is Try Arcade located in? Does anyone have any pictures or links?

Jeff

It's in Akihabara... across from the new Skyscraper there... only one for that matter. Pretty easy to find.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:27 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Pretty easy to find.

I didn't find it. :x

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 am

Magic Knight wrote:Got After Burner II with a controller from MAK. Trying to convince my wife that they were cheap. I'm in a Sega mid-80's analogue-controller frenzy at the moment.

How much did the controller run? Saw that the AB2 PCB was on sale so picked one up myself and figured that I'd wire my own stick up.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 am

gamemaker wrote:What city is Try Arcade located in? Does anyone have any pictures or links?

I took pics of the D2K for you and will upload them later today.

Last edited by Shou on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
become history

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:08 am

The stick was a lot - 12600, but I figured it was worth it as getting the 10 pin AMP connectors for the power is hard - for my Outrun setup I had to get the full wiring set from the US, and it cost quite a bit. I have another full wiring set for my Power Drift (plus original control panel and pedals), so I couldn't spare any of those connectors.

The other thing is that the contoller they sold me came with an amplifier for the sound. You can just wire it directly to a jack for your control box or whatever - that's what I did with Outrun, means I can go straight to my monster amp and speakers if I want.

There's only one problem with the PCB I got - the shading effect is wrong on the hiscore screen, but only initially; if I enter the test mode and then come straight back out everything looks ok. I'm debating whether to ask for a replacement. They had another one for sale on Monday, unless that was the one you bought.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:34 am

Magic Knight wrote: I'm debating whether to ask for a replacement. They had another one for sale on Monday, unless that was the one you bought.

I got that one but they should be able to sort you out regardless.
become history

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:30 am

Here's a photo of the board with the adaptor. The controller's a good old Micomsoft joystick.

I can't get it to appear here, unfortunately.
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6818/ab3u.th.jpg

I saw a guy playing that Donkey Kong for ages on Monday. His wife(?) looked like she's been watching him play the original for a few too many years.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Speaking of Donkey Kong, how on earth is there no Japanese dudes challenging the world record on it? Theres yet another movie coming out about that plastic surgeon that has the world record now, but shouldn't this be an area that at least some crazy Japanese dudes be dominating at?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Magic Knight wrote:I can't get it to appear here, unfortunately.
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6818/ab3u.th.jpg

None of your BB code tags work -- even quotes. Maybe it'll work when I finish the phpBB3 migration.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Macaw wrote:Speaking of Donkey Kong, how on earth is there no Japanese dudes challenging the world record on it? Theres yet another movie coming out about that plastic surgeon that has the world record now, but shouldn't this be an area that at least some crazy Japanese dudes be dominating at?

Because when Americans talk about world records, they really only count America....

Seriously, most Japanese players don't even know about it.
become history

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:07 pm

I'd love to see more pictures as my arcade experience is limited to my setup in the livingroom and I have to resort to the vicarious bliss of pictures of gamecentres.

gamemaker
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby gamemaker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 am

Shou wrote:

Shou, thanks for sharing the pics of the D2K. What an interesting cabinet! It's so cool to see D2K out in the wild.

Jeff

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 am

gamemaker wrote:
Shou wrote:

Shou, thanks for sharing the pics of the D2K. What an interesting cabinet! It's so cool to see D2K out in the wild.

Jeff

NP, glad that your creation is able to be enjoyed by so many DK fans here in Japan. I've been asked by the owner of another retro arcade to borrow the D2K for a Donkey Kong 35th anniversary event later this year. I'll post pics when it happens.

Here's the URL for their blog:
http://ameblo.jp/natuge/

The arcade very much specializes in the Japanese retro arcade feel meaning that there are mainly cocktails with games from the early to mid 80's. They also sell bottled soda, old style Japanese candy (dagashi), game soundtracks, etc. They also have setups of retro JP PCs like the X1 setup for anyone to play and stacks of retro mags/books for customers to read at their leisure. Lately, a number of famous game composers have been staging Ustream shows from there like Zuntata and Sega's H.

Just for reference, here's the blog for Try Tower:
http://trytower.blog.shinobi.jp/
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:41 am

Just dropped off a new game for Try this weekend...

TH STRIKES BACK
aka Thunder Hoop 2 which turns the game from an Amiga like action platformer to more of a Contra-esque run & gun with arcade Battletoads like visuals. It's a huge huge upgrade over its predecessor and a very challenging game. I need to finish up some art for the game so it should be up for operation by the weekend.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: [ETC] Try Tower Akihabara

Postby Shou » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:56 am

TH Strikes Back bombed so it got pulled.

BANG BANG BUSTERS should be on location sometime this week.

For those that don't know, it's a Snow Bros type of single screen platformer running on MVS and developed by Visco. It was originally never released but some French guys got it licensed and released 50 MVS kits this year.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 am

Any idea why TH did so bad? Big fancy 32 bit platformers are a rarity in the arcades, I would have thought it would have done decent.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:41 am

Macaw wrote:Any idea why TH did so bad? Big fancy 32 bit platformers are a rarity in the arcades, I would have thought it would have done decent.

I doubt 99.9% of the customers know what Thunder Hoop is and that's probably why no one tried it. Rare games are often unplayed games as there is no nostalgic value or hype. That's why you'll see retro arcades with mostly the same stuff which is boring for people like us who want to play something new. Most guys just want to beat Daimakaimura for the nth time.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:57 pm

How fans of 2d action could see a new cool looking game but not even try it is beyond me, then again I guess all the people curious about discovering the rare games have already done so on mame or by playing the pcb's in private, and most of the people that go to retro section of an arcade are intent on just playing their favourites.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 am

So, I had them put up Fantasy Zone II DX on Monday, 2 days later Sega sent a cease and desist so it's no longer up for play.

I also loaned them the Japanese version of Desert Breaker which should be up in the next week or so.
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”