Are you savvy with DOS, understanding mounting drives in dosbox and installing stuff from the cd? I might as well write a little guide for people with no dos knowledge, so that everyone who might want to try the game is able to, and because I totally want to get more peoples reactions of stage 6 (provided anyone likes the game enough to actually get to stage 6 anyway
This guide is Zyclunt specific, but most Dos games are installed the same way.
- First an installation drive has to be mounted in dosbox. This is what dosbox uses as a virtual drive and it essentially just points to a folder on your computer, mount one with this command:
mount c c:\dos
- This will make the c drive in dosbox, which is pointed to c:\dos on your computer. Of course you can point it to whatever folder you want to use as the c drive, just be sure to keep that in mind throughout this guide, as I will keep referring to c drive as being located at c:\dos on your computer.
- Next you need to mount the Zyclunt CD in dosbox. First mount the image using alcohol/daemon tools/whatever then use this command:
mount b x:\ -t cdrom
- Where x is the drive letter of the virtual drive you have mounted the Zyclunt CD with. The b is the letter of the new drive in dosbox that is pointing to the Zyclunt CD.
- Now you need to run the install file on the Zyclunt CD, so you need to go into the Zyclunt CD directory in dosbox by first typing:
- Then you need to switch to the b drive, so type:
- Now you are in the Zyclunt CD directory. You need to install the game to the c drive you have mounted in dosbox. To run the install file, just type:
- The install program will now run. It will default to install to c:\zyclunt. Remember that the c drive is referring to the one you mounted in dosbox, so the game files on your actual computer are therefore going to be installed to c:\dos\zyclunt. Select install.
- Once installed the dos prompt will automatically take you to c:\zyclunt. First you must config the sound, do that by just typing:
- Set CPU mode to high. Set joystick to OFF (its much easier to just use a program like joy2key to config your joystick to the corresponding keyboard buttons in the game rather than try to get joystick calibration working for real in DOS)
- Set the sound settings. The DOS sound setup can be changed in the dosbox options/config file, but for example mine are : Soundblaster, port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.
- Save and exit. Now to run the game just type:
- And away you go.
- Keep in mind that when you restart dosbox you have to mount all the drives again (and the zyclunt cd must be mounted in order for the music to play) so instead of typing it all every time, just put these lines at the end of the dosbox config after the [autoexec], and remember to change the 'x' to the drive letter you have zyclunt mounted on:
mount c c:\dos\zyclunt
mount b x:\ -t cdrom
- Now every time you start dosbox it will automatically put in those commands and go straight to the zyclunt folder where you can just type 'zyclunt' to run the game.
Hopefully this is pretty thorough, but if anyone has more questions feel free to ask, I'm still completely stumped by KNTain not being able to run the game.