Zyclunt & Genocide

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Zyclunt & Genocide

Postby Macaw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:37 pm

The biggest arcade in Aus is at the gold coast, Timezone on Cavill Avenue. As expected though they don't really have any games that use standard controls, they just get in all the deluxe cabs and shit. When a new lightgun game comes out they literally buy about 5 of them and put them through the whole area, they really rake in the money off the families.

All I'm interested with there is Darius Burst and Elevator Action Death Parade. I guess the only reason for you to go there is if your interested in seeing a ton of the new IGS ticket games and shit which might not be in Japan, and heaps of other ticket/attraction games from weird ass manufacturers.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:39 pm

After a shitload more play this game has officially blown my mind.

Stage 6, the boss rush stage, is insane. After getting to a unique boss at the end of the rush I figured it would be the end. After a bunch more attempts I finally managed to beat it... only to notice that its NOT THE END OF THE STAGE, it throws EVEN MORE BOSSES AT YOU and gets even harder before throwing the unique boss at you again in a harder form.

Still haven't cleared stage 6. It takes about 40 minutes to get up to it and it must go for about 15 minutes provided you don't keep dying. No other platform action game I have seen goes to such extremes of throwing more shit at you after its put you through such insane stress, yet its balanced so that each time you try you always managed to get just that bit further.

I cant believe how much I had underrated this game in the past by not bothering to go beyond stage 4. This could very well be one of the most ultimate action games for people that like hardcore action shit that requires insane technique and mastery, but has superb graphical presentation and enemy variety too.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:02 am

I grabbed your image, Macaw, and I seem to be running into the same issues Josh ran into in the OP. Weird.

What version of DOSBox are you using? All the CPU stuff on default settings? I've tried to get this game to run with no sound and CPU set to "low", still no dice.

Edit: I just grabbed Win95 Blade Warrior and I can confirm that killing explorer.exe fixes the rainbow visuals.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:03 am

What is the issue? It crashes?

I have newest dosbox with core, cputype and cycles all set to auto. You did run the install off the CD first right?

I just spent THREE straight hours trying to get past stage 6. No success... I can barely think straight after that...

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 am

Yeah, everything just kinda hangs after the Phantagram logo fades to black. Using DOSBox 0.74, same three CPU settings on auto, installed from CD and configured.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:45 am

There shouldn't be any logo's if you just run Zyclunt.exe from the installed directory. The logo's only show up if you run Go.bat and even then I dont get any hangs.

What file are you trying to run?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:40 pm

I JUST SPENT ANOTHER 2 HOURS TRYING TO GET PAST STAGE 6, THATS ABOUT 5 HOURS TOTAL TODAY

I FINALLY BEAT THE 2ND FORM OF THE UNIQUE BOSS IN THE BOSS RUSH..... BUT THE STAGE STILL DOESN'T END AFTER THAT, IT THEN THROWS AN EVEN HARDER UNIQUE BOSS AT YOU AFTER IT

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm tempted to change the difficulty to easy but fuck it, I need to beat this bastard on normal. This is the craziest boss rush of all time.

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Running zyclunt.exe just shows the DOS/4GW text and then drops back out to the command line.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 pm

The image works perfectly for me in DOSBox. And I appreciate providing folks like myself the chance to try the definitive version of the game out, Macaw.

I played Blade Warrior ages ago but after replaying Zyclunt, my feelings toward the game have actually lowered. I'm appalled how much blocking, abusing your options, and overall turtling are stressed as the game goes on. Maybe that's why there's no timer (outside of the 1 boss) but it makes for a slow experience.

Beyond needing to recognize patterns, defeating most bosses and getting past all the homing projectiles seem to require fast reactions (even when you know exactly what's coming up next). I'm not a fan of this type of challenge (preferring old school knowledge-based strategies instead). I can see why folks who enjoy this all-out challenge and endurance test would have fun though, esp. since the power ups are well-placed just when you feel stressed out and the hidden lives are in clever locations.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 am

KNTRAIN - here is my conf, try copy and paste it into yours: http://www.2shared.com/document/6btFvpm ... 4conf.html

If it still doesn't work then maybe the game requires you install to the default C:\zyclunt or something.

Ganelon wrote:I played Blade Warrior ages ago but after replaying Zyclunt, my feelings toward the game have actually lowered. I'm appalled how much blocking, abusing your options, and overall turtling are stressed as the game goes on. Maybe that's why there's no timer (outside of the 1 boss) but it makes for a slow experience.

I actually only block against 2 enemies in the game, the test tube women and the robot ninjas, both of which are mid-bosses. Those are slow points, but apart from that there isn't too much turtling for me. Indeed the options are incredibly important, but there isn't too many opportunities to completely abuse them, there are no safe spots where you can attack with the options in total safety.

Also, I actually thought the game was mostly knowledge and memorization based myself. What parts do you think require excessive reflexes? Every boss for me required just to figure out some pattern or trick.

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Tried the config exactly and no go. Installed to the default, too. Gonna tap out on getting this particular version to run, but thanks for the help!

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Running zyclunt.exe just gets me "DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version...".

Maybe I have DosBox installed differently.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Are you savvy with DOS, understanding mounting drives in dosbox and installing stuff from the cd? I might as well write a little guide for people with no dos knowledge, so that everyone who might want to try the game is able to, and because I totally want to get more peoples reactions of stage 6 (provided anyone likes the game enough to actually get to stage 6 anyway :) )

This guide is Zyclunt specific, but most Dos games are installed the same way.

- First an installation drive has to be mounted in dosbox. This is what dosbox uses as a virtual drive and it essentially just points to a folder on your computer, mount one with this command:

mount c c:\dos

- This will make the c drive in dosbox, which is pointed to c:\dos on your computer. Of course you can point it to whatever folder you want to use as the c drive, just be sure to keep that in mind throughout this guide, as I will keep referring to c drive as being located at c:\dos on your computer.
- Next you need to mount the Zyclunt CD in dosbox. First mount the image using alcohol/daemon tools/whatever then use this command:

mount b x:\ -t cdrom

- Where x is the drive letter of the virtual drive you have mounted the Zyclunt CD with. The b is the letter of the new drive in dosbox that is pointing to the Zyclunt CD.
- Now you need to run the install file on the Zyclunt CD, so you need to go into the Zyclunt CD directory in dosbox by first typing:

mount

- Then you need to switch to the b drive, so type:

b:

- Now you are in the Zyclunt CD directory. You need to install the game to the c drive you have mounted in dosbox. To run the install file, just type:

install

- The install program will now run. It will default to install to c:\zyclunt. Remember that the c drive is referring to the one you mounted in dosbox, so the game files on your actual computer are therefore going to be installed to c:\dos\zyclunt. Select install.
- Once installed the dos prompt will automatically take you to c:\zyclunt. First you must config the sound, do that by just typing:

config

- Set CPU mode to high. Set joystick to OFF (its much easier to just use a program like joy2key to config your joystick to the corresponding keyboard buttons in the game rather than try to get joystick calibration working for real in DOS)
- Set the sound settings. The DOS sound setup can be changed in the dosbox options/config file, but for example mine are : Soundblaster, port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.
- Save and exit. Now to run the game just type:

zyclunt

- And away you go.
- Keep in mind that when you restart dosbox you have to mount all the drives again (and the zyclunt cd must be mounted in order for the music to play) so instead of typing it all every time, just put these lines at the end of the dosbox config after the [autoexec], and remember to change the 'x' to the drive letter you have zyclunt mounted on:

mount c c:\dos\zyclunt
mount b x:\ -t cdrom
mount
c:

- Now every time you start dosbox it will automatically put in those commands and go straight to the zyclunt folder where you can just type 'zyclunt' to run the game.

Hopefully this is pretty thorough, but if anyone has more questions feel free to ask, I'm still completely stumped by KNTain not being able to run the game.
Last edited by Macaw on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:41 am

ugh, I forgot about the -t cdrom argument for mounting disc drives. Looks like that was it. Thanks again, seems to run fine now.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed May 02, 2012 2:30 am

Here's the JP version of Zyclunt, got it for a steal, brand new :)

become history

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 am

Shou wrote:Here's the JP version of Zyclunt, got it for a steal, brand new :)

I'm just glad I now know the correct pronunciation!

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 am

I finished the damn thing! Boss rush stage is indeed the last.

The 'junkyard' stage is not in the DOS version, so all the shit I said before about the windows version having a different stage order is wrong. I'm guessing in Korea the windows version came out shortly after the dos version and added the junkyard stage, and then the Japanese version was based on that.

Quality game.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu May 03, 2012 8:40 am

Anyone running this on Win7 x64? I had it installed in on my XP x68 setup and moved the files over to my X64 setup and it worked fine at first but after playing with the F4 button and screen settings, it no longer starts anymore.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Sat May 12, 2012 8:55 am

Answering myself, Zyclunt stores its config in the registry (wtf). If you hit full screen, the game will crash on Win7 x64 so play in Window mode.
become history

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Can anyone post the japanese katakana or kanji? So I can search for it on yahoo?

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:55 am

Zyclunt: ジィークラント and Genocide: ジェノサイド

Return to “Japanese Video Games”