Crosshair shooters?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Crosshair shooters?

Postby loempiavreter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:40 am

What do you call these Cabal type 'o games in Japan? (and do you categorise stuff like Space harrier, Afterburner into these?)

What are the good cabal style crosshair shooters besides Wild Guns? I love Riot which is weird but satisfying with the 3 planes of action it adds to the genre?

Anymore? I heard Gamshara was pretty lackluster? Anybody have some details about that game?

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:05 am

Dynamite Duke and Nam 1975

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 am

I've never heard of a specific naming to this sub-genre but I'll check around.

Arcade:

TAD
Cabal, Blood Bros

Seibu Kaihatsu
Empire City 1931, Lead Angle, Dynamite Duke, Double Dynamites

Taito:
Rambo III

SNK:
NAM 1975

NMK:
Riot

Mitchell:
Gamshara (it's just a bit generic looking)

Konami:
Not sure if Garuka and GI Joe fit into this as they scroll into the screen.

Playmark:
Hard Times

ESD:
SWAT Police

Video System:
Spinal Breakers
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:40 am

Alligator Hunt (Arcade)
Binyu Hunter (PC98)
Shi Kong Te Qin Zu (DOS)
Kuwait Assault (DOS)
Punisher (NES)
Predator 2 (Amiga)

I think just about every title in this genre has been named in this thread now haha.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:48 am

One of the best ones hasn't been mentioned yet! Sin & Punishment (N64) and its Wii sequel.

Shien: The Blade Chaser (SFC) could be added, although it's more like a proto-FPS.

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:31 pm

citcelaid wrote:One of the best ones hasn't been mentioned yet! Sin & Punishment (N64) and its Wii sequel.

Shien: The Blade Chaser (SFC) could be added, although it's more like a proto-FPS.

But that's what I was partly wondring about if these kinda games are also put in the same category as the cabal-style game in Japan.

Sin & Punishment is more like Panzer Dragoon, Space Harrier and stuff, while Cabal-style would be more like Zombie Wonderland for wii (recent example). When you google crosshair shooters you'll find the Cabal type-of game described not the Sin & punishment style, whatever they called (and I do wonder if in Japan they categorised as the same thing though...) I'm more looking specifically for the Cabal type of games.

Thanks all the additions, some new ones and some stuff I completely forgot about until it was mentioned here. Thanks :)

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:05 pm

What do you consider Cabal-type?
Character movement on a single plane?
A very restricted control scheme?

Personally I can't make that much of a difference between Sin and Punishment and Cabal.

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Gravity and stuff... in games like space harrier and sin & punishment you can pretty much use the whole screen to move in.

I kinda see the difference almost as big as between a shmup and a run & gun game.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 am

Pirates (NIX, Arcade)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZAl0lYZhO4

Shien: The Blade Chaser is easy to exclude because of complete absence of dodging.

I think the difference between "crosshair shooters" and "rail shooters" is merely graphical, with rail shooters scrolling into the screen and crosshair shooters not. It still has an impact on the gaming experience, though.

My favourite in the genre is Nam-1975.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:16 am

loempiavreter wrote:Gravity and stuff... in games like space harrier and sin & punishment you can pretty much use the whole screen to move in.

Don't understand your point, S&P has gravity too. (?)

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Only the first S&P has a truly ground-based gameplay.

The Wii game is like everywhere (bought it only a couple of weeks ago and had no time for a proper play) with the character flying like in Space Harrier.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Crosshair shooters?

Postby Macaw » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Anyone put time into Dynamite Duke before? I played it a bit at the beginning of the year and found it to be better than I expected, but putting more time into it now I can easily say that its fuckn awesome. The cabal style shooting action is fast and satisfying with heaps of chunky shit to shoot, and the melee combat system that you mainly use on the bosses is pulled off incredibly well. The game kinda feels like an actual fun version of The Super Spy on Neo Geo, but with Cabal style shooting thrown in too.

The graphics are also pretty good, though the animation on many of the boss characters when they are up close is remarkably impressive, especially when they do their special moves. I could imagine back in 1989 the game must've shocked people with the massive sprite size and animation (and thanks to the different perspective not be completely overshadowed by Final Fight)

This is of course talking about the arcade version, the console ports all look like shit and massively cut down on the visuals, although I'm sure the x68000 port is probably accurate.

Superplay: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9393932

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:45 am

So, while talking with some Japanese gamers, they basically said this genre is called 画面固定ガンシューティングアクション which means Fixed Screen Gun Shooting Action. That's a mouthful but the first part is similar to what they call SSPs.

I recently got ahold of a dead Alligator Hunt and revived it (fuck suicide batteries). Pretty good so far but a bit repetitive. I'll probably loan it to one of the arcades in Akiba.

I've been searching for a Double Dynamites but it's a pretty rare board. There's a good interview out there by the staff who did the X68 port.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 am

Shou wrote:I recently got ahold of a dead Alligator Hunt and revived it (fuck suicide batteries). Pretty good so far but a bit repetitive. I'll probably loan it to one of the arcades in Akiba.

Yeah it would be good if there were a few more on foot areas after you get the spaceship, but thankfully at least the graphic quality remains super high throughout and there is decent variety of shit to shoot once you get to the space stuff.

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:12 am

I know this is an old thread, but I really like this genre and was looking for an Alligator Hunt board until I realized it had a suicide battery. Crap, I say. Could it be worth the trouble... keeping in mind my lack of technological skill?

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I recently learned about this one (arcade):

SWAT Police (ESD / Excellent Soft Design 2001) (Korea)
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Igakajook wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I really like this genre and was looking for an Alligator Hunt board until I realized it had a suicide battery. Crap, I say. Could it be worth the trouble... keeping in mind my lack of technological skill?

I bought a TH Strikes Back a year back and luckily it hasn't died on me yet haha. I have no idea how to change them either.

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Macaw wrote:
Igakajook wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I really like this genre and was looking for an Alligator Hunt board until I realized it had a suicide battery. Crap, I say. Could it be worth the trouble... keeping in mind my lack of technological skill?

I bought a TH Strikes Back a year back and luckily it hasn't died on me yet haha. I have no idea how to change them either.

How is it? Looks pretty cool.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 am

Can be revived using the decrypted data set, I've already revived my board. Hoping that gaelco releases the data for TH Strikes Back someday...
become history

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:38 am

Shou wrote:Can be revived using the decrypted data set, I've already revived my board.

I don't have the technology to rebuild him, unfortunately.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:41 am

Igakajook wrote:How is it? Looks pretty cool.

Yeah its a pretty cool game, and massive improvement over the first Thunder Hoop.

My favorite platformer from Gaelco though is probably their brilliant Big Karnak haha.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:17 am

Igakajook wrote:
Shou wrote:Can be revived using the decrypted data set, I've already revived my board.

I don't have the technology to rebuild him, unfortunately.

There are services who can do it for you. Try hobbyroms. I could do it if you want to pay for all of the parts, shipping, etc. I believe it's only 2 EPROMs.
become history

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 am

Shou wrote:There are services who can do it for you. Try hobbyroms. I could do it if you want to pay for all of the parts, shipping, etc. I believe it's only 2 EPROMs.

Thanks for the offer and the heads-up about hobbyroms - ;)

New doors are opening all the time!

Return to “Japanese Video Games”