Today's marketplace for yesterday's games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 am

SuperDeadite wrote:Really? I've never heard of that, interesting. The MSX2 box clearly states "MSX2 Required" on it, so if that's true that'd be quite cool. I only have a Turbo-R though, so no way to test.

I remember researching this years ago when I was decided which one to get and recall that Zanac AI is the MSX1 rev and Zanac EX is the MSX2 rev but that there was something funky with the re-release but don't hold me to it :)
become history

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:16 am

[quote="SuperDeadite"] I only have a Turbo-R though, so no way to test.[/quote]

I have an empty box for a Turbo-R if you're interested. Mine got too badly damaged in the tsunami to be saved. I got the belt out and that's all. At least it was cheap.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Shou wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:Really? I've never heard of that, interesting. The MSX2 box clearly states "MSX2 Required" on it, so if that's true that'd be quite cool. I only have a Turbo-R though, so no way to test.

I remember researching this years ago when I was decided which one to get and recall that Zanac AI is the MSX1 rev and Zanac EX is the MSX2 rev but that there was something funky with the re-release but don't hold me to it :)

You could be right, or you could be wrong. Just trying to figure out if there is a 3rd Zanac I still need to get. :) Still need E.I. and Guardic and I'll have all the Compile MSX shooties.

Either way it's certainly confusing, as you can see MSX1 and MSX2 are both called Zanac AI on the cover. The Zanac EX title screen is only shown in a tiny screenshot on the back of the MSX2 version box.

@Magic Knight. Too bad about your TR. If it's an ST box I'd certainly be interested, but have to wait a few months. Finally broke down and got LaserActive TimeGal last month, after city taxes, insurance, and my ticket to Pink Lady on the 28th, I'm done for awhile. LOL.
Stronger then your average deadite

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Yes, it's an ST box, the polystyrene is inside. I have no manual.

I hope you know all the moves for the songs they'll sing. They've still got it!
ニ馳ニ鍛ニ恥ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ナ遅窶「窶

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 pm

[quote="Magic Knight"]Yes, it's an ST box, the polystyrene is inside. I have no manual.

I hope you know all the moves for the songs they'll sing. They've still got it!
ニ馳ニ鍛ニ恥ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ニ叩ナ遅窶「窶
Stronger then your average deadite

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Why is the 'Compile Complete' book so ridiculously expensive every time it appears on yaj? Same for the Madou Monogatari book... people really trying to make the bucks off anything Compile.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Macaw wrote:Why is the 'Compile Complete' book so ridiculously expensive every time it appears on yaj? Same for the Madou Monogatari book... people really trying to make the bucks off anything Compile.

Madou 123 (MSX) and ARS (98) used to be much more than they go for nowadays but it seems that interest in 98 in general has faded.
become history

brentsg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby brentsg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I found a very short-lived import games shop in Austin (maybe it was a Diehard?) which kind of rekindled the gamer in me. I remember buying Magic Knight Rayearth and a PAR for bout $70 each. The game was awesome though... and it was mainly imports from then on out. I was broke, too!

I visited this store in Austin around 1995, possibly the first half of 1996. I was living in the area working like crazy at the time, so I wasn't able to really explore a whole lot. I was only there for about 10 months.

That was the first Diehard store I came across, before I moved to St. Louis and was able to frequent the one that Shou managed. That was probably my favorite lunch hour establishment while it lasted.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:There was a couple "all in one" shops in Dallas as well. Anime tapes for rent... games for sale. This was before I went to college though. At least that's when I knew of them.

I found a very short-lived import games shop in Austin (maybe it was a Diehard?) which kind of rekindled the gamer in me. I remember buying Magic Knight Rayearth and a PAR for bout $70 each. The game was awesome though... and it was mainly imports from then on out. I was broke, too!

I'm thinking of those shops was originally Tronix who shared space with the then budding AD Vision who ran the anime part of the shop. The rise and fall of ADV would probably make another interesting article.

There definitely was an Austin Die Hard which was a case study for our store in STL. Most of the Die Hard franchises went out of business fairly quickly from what I remember. The Chicago one was converted into a half skater shop and there was one in NY which did decent for awhile. We only went under b/c the owner didn't want to keep the shopping running as it didn't make as much as Dave Halverson originally was touting in their business pitch. Not to say we weren't profitable but retail never really is.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:33 am

The one in Dallas was privately owned.. by a guy just looking to make a quick buck off of rich kids, basically. Wasn't a games or anime fan at all. It was in a nice part of town. Didn't last too long.

EDIT: Looked up the old owner on Facebook. He popped up immediately.. Haha. He wouldn't remember me though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Today's marketplace for yesterday's games

Postby Macaw » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:46 am

I never realized how much the American NES game releases are worth now. Countless boxed NES games get close to $100, and the mega man titles are just ridiculous and people now have them in the graded collector cases like with comics and cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-3-Nint ... 2a1409dc32

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

I think most of the expensive NES games are special variants and limited quantity games that play very poorly. Last I checked, Mega Man doesn't approach 3 figures unless it's new (in which case there's a frenzy).

Mega Man actually has one of the most hardcore series followings, which makes getting games you missed sort of annoying. One of my regrets is not getting the PS Rockman Collection (PS versions of Rockman 1-6 plus Rockman 7) for just $25 brand new when I saw it available for months (circa 2005). And now it goes for $150-200 brand new.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:47 am

I can say with certainty that eBay has been complete garbage for buying games. I buy a lot of imports on YJ. If I could get it on eBay from a domestic seller in the US I would. However everyone is selling any import shooter or fighting game at ludicrious prices.

$45 for Pocket Fighter?
$100 for a sealed Layer Section?
$140 for Blast Wind?
$53 for Metal Black?

Come on... thats just rediculious. Metal Black only cost me $31.94, and thats after all of the shipping and proxy fees, etc.

But lets look at something that domestic US sellers should be able to handle no problem: Genesis Games.

I found out the hard way that trying to buy complete Genesis games on eBay lately is a real pain. Not only are they becoming harder to find, but the prices are inflating like crazy. Complete games in good condition are starting to hit 30+ in prices. The worst part is, every "Bob's Games World" that has 10,000 feedback, the sellers seem to always smoke cigarettes.

I have a Truxton that I still can't get the cigarette smoke out of.

I bought a bundle of Atomic Robo Kid, Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage 3, and Sonic 3 for like 150 total. They were all in mint condition so I felt it was worth the extra cash to snag them all in such good shape. Well, when the package arrived it WREAKED of cigarette smoke. I was so pissed. It took 3 weeks of haggling to get the seller to take the games back for a refund.

The biggest problem is we are dealing with too many "businesses" on eBay trying to pull a profit, rather than individuals trying to resell games just under the market rate to get most of their money back.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:30 pm

I just realized I have some kind of fetish for second hand games that smell of smoke. Maybe it's because I like to fantasize about the now 40 year old Japanese male who smoked and played Splatterhouse III non-stop all through the 90's but now has to sell his entire collection in order to afford lung cancer treatment. Or something like that.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 am

Ugh, I can't believe I have to perform due diligence on Amazon marketplace vendors now. I know they can't be trusted when placing orders for valuable items such as fragrances and bags but it looks like even in the world of cheap video games (<$15), a rating of 97-100% doesn't guarantee that the seller isn't resealing games and passing them off as brand new. What folks will do for an extra $5...

Now I have to waste time initiating more disputes and perhaps more chargebacks. This year alone, I've had over a dozen flaky sellers in all manners of venues that I've had to get refunds from. As late as 2006, I had -one- dispute a year. I can only hope that this phase of the market will mature and not devolve even more over time.

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:20 pm

It's not all on the rise, if you look back over ten years.

I used to work in London's biggest import game store through 99 - 2001, right in the heart of the city. We had two floors of import gaming and it was packed to the rafters with people all day long. At that point everything was relatively expensive: Used AES was very dear and I traded a kidney for Mark of The Wolves.
PCE stuff was also pretty expensive, but it was Saturn that I noticed rising long after I left the place. This is all pre-internet boom of course, but it was a great place to witness the genesis of a serious collector market.

These days Saturn has fallen compared to ten years ago, Megadrive has fallen too (my first visit to Japan had me ignoring titles like Vampire Killer and Hard Corps because they were too expensive.) PC Engine has fallen and Dreamcast is a non-mover for the most part. MVS and AES has dropped too (I remember when Pulstar was exorbitant). PCB's fluctuate, but Cave stuff has definitely decreased on the whole.

Nowadays it seems to be Nintendo goods on the increase, probably because decent cardboard is becoming hard to find thirty years later. But Akihabara is a joke these days - I've seen cheaper stuff on ebay than I saw when I was there last. They have premium stuff at prices that don't constitute any kind of saving versus forums or fair YHJ auctions, and I'm sure that's having a knock on effect for Gaijin based ebay sellers that use Akiba as a base for goods flipping.

-Ebay is a mess... their shit policies for sellers will even contribute to higher prices since they are taking on WAY more risk now than 10 years ago
-Lack of character in sellers (many not in the hobby out for a quick buck... some just don't know the value of repeat business)
-Shit economy
-YJ Proxies
-Shift in taste/availability
-A younger common denominator in the hobby. Face it, we're not getting any younger.

Agree with all of these things. I'm really waiting for that stupidly strong yen to finally nosedive (it's gotta happen soon) to see some kind of marketplace apocalypse. I think the entire playing field would shift.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 am

There's a thread on the pricing of "rare" materials going on over at Assembler right now. My take on it is the shit economy... for the Japanese stuff, the shit exchange rate. Has Ebay gotten any better the last few days?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

mezzanine
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re:

Postby mezzanine » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 am

Macaw wrote:MSX is fucken retarded on YAJ because of that satopin guy who's flooded the section with a massive chunk of the msx library, yet all at ridiculous prices that no one is going to pay. YAJ needs a fucken filter option to filter out his auctions so I can actually browse the shit normally.

That's been going on for years hasn't it? It's a real shame as you just end up relying on saved searches for stuff you're already looking for - browsing for anything new and interesting takes forever as there's page after page of his listings.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:52 am

If you ladies would use the proxy here, you can set it up search stuff for you in that section -- once his stuff shows up, it won't show it again. ;)

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 pm

GP with the technology. I should use that for msx shit.

On a completely different note, I was wondering today, just how much do you guys estimate a location test Distopia pcb would fetch on yaj :roll:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 am

Macaw wrote:GP with the technology. I should use that for msx shit.

On a completely different note, I was wondering today, just how much do you guys estimate a location test Distopia pcb would fetch on yaj :roll:

Even in the bad market? At least 200,000 yen... wouldnt' be shocked upwards of 500,000.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Didn't the 20% complete Spriggan Powerd pcb do about 200,000? I'd imagine Distopia would do a fair bit more considering it was mostly complete, is by Toaplan, and looks awesome too!

If I could go back in time to 1994 or so when the location test was happening, I'd probably come up with some elaborate scheme to steal one of the pcb's, hahaha

Return to “Japanese Video Games”