Awesome Famicom/NES action games **MASSIVE ULTRA UPDATE**

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Huge ass fancy thread on Famicom action games

Postby Macaw » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

loempiavreter wrote:Don't forget about these:
Huang Di : Zhuolu zhi Zhan
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/huangdi/huangdi.htm

Huang Di is pretty good due to the cool enemy/boss designs and decent platforming action. Really makes you wish that more original famicom action games of this quality came out of Taiwan instead of just clones/hacks.

sharc wrote:macaw, out of curiosity what are your feelings on the first rayman game

Great graphics but its real hard for me to get at all excited about playing through a game with that kind of visual design. I prefer things a bit more hardboiled, even a crappy looking game about shooting demons is always gonna be more appealing than the fanciest cutesy platformer.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm

well, i meant more the difficulty. i've been playing it lately and starting around the third world it becomes an obnoxiously hard game, though not always for what i would consider good reasons.

sometime i gotta find a good strategy for the last level of gun-dec/vice, always wind up getting clowned by ceiling ninjas at some point during the run through the mansion or penthouse or whatever it is.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 am

For the last stage in gun-dec you just jump forward over the holes as you normally would and when the ninjas hit you you will just land back on the platforms.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:30 am

Macaw wrote:I've been digging the shit out of Holy Diver recently. I had only lightly played it in the past, but after having some decent attempts at it its a lot more impressive. The level designs from stage 2 onwards become totally crazy and relentless. Insanely hard but superbly balanced so nothing feels cheap, and finally being able to clear stages is satisfying. Its worth noting that similar to Frankenstein, Holy Diver has very light 'rpg' style elements to it that spice it up a bit, like finding various items and being able to increase your maximum health gauge. I always like it when these kind of elements are put into linear action games.

I've been playing this recently, and it's nice to see that the game is considered tough. I wasn't expecting stage 4 to take me so long! The boss seems pretty ridiculous, though I've only tried fighting him from the left platform so far.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:38 am

Holy shit, I used to play Guerilla War as a kid (pal 50hz...) and then I kinda ignored it in recent years due it being an arcade port. Cranked up Famicom Guevara before though and was completely floored by how fuckn fun and awesome it was. Way better than the arcade version, its just so insanely fast with so much shit on the screen, and the explosions when you kill mid bosses/bosses are beyond satisfying. One of the best in the genre alongside stuff like Mercs and Shock Troopers, and easily a killer app for the nes. Whats everyone else think?

Its also interesting to note how prominent the whole war theme was with the famicom games, obviously inspired from Rambo and Commando. Once the 16 bit era came around the theme really dropped off from Japanese games a lot, but its probably my favorite theme for the old 2d action stuff along with sci fi.

I should try get around to updating the first page with stuff like Guevara, Ikari 3, Great Tank, Airwolf, Gunsight etc. All games with just a pure fuckn hardcore military theme and blowing the shit out of tanks and helicopters lol.

Anyone that hasn't played Cross Fire yet (which is on the first page) really needs to check that out too.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 pm

The AC version Guerilla War / Guevara is painfully difficult. I have a super play of it here and it looks boring. It's mainly figuring out where to stand *BEFORE* the enemies appear. Weak. I do recall the FC version a bit, but only a bit.

I'd have to dig through my interview in Continue, but I'm pretty sure the designer of Ikari also did Guevara... but not Dogousouken (Ikari III).

Ikari III... have you played it? Such a turd.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:51 am

Yeah the AC version of Guevara is quit slow paced and requires careful strategy while the famicom version is one of the most blazing fast paced action shooting games you will ever play. The additions in the famicom version are great too with the proper mini-bosses and crazier stages.

Yeah ikari 3 arcade is trash, but the Famicom version is awesome and of course essentially a totally different game to the arcade version which seems to be the case with all these SNK arcade to famicom ports.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:10 am

Macaw wrote:Yeah the AC version of Guevara is quit slow paced and requires careful strategy while the famicom version is one of the most blazing fast paced action shooting games you will ever play. The additions in the famicom version are great too with the proper mini-bosses and crazier stages.

Yeah ikari 3 arcade is trash, but the Famicom version is awesome and of course essentially a totally different game to the arcade version which seems to be the case with all these SNK arcade to famicom ports.

Both Guevara versions are extremely expensive over here too. You don't really see either but the same could be said for AC Ikari III lol
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 am

US Ikari III should fetch about 12,000 yen... or used to anyway.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:55 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:US Ikari III should fetch about 12,000 yen... or used to anyway.

An original JP board would probably go for double that I estimate as no store has had it in stock in forever.

Reminds me that I have JP Heavy Barrel to dump...
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:03 pm

I had my auction alerts (custom, not their crappy system ones) set for Heavy Barrel, Guevara, and Ikari III for ages. Saw one or two Guevara boards pop up, and maybe a J-Heavy Barrel once. Never Ikari III. No flyer for it either.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Awesome Famicom/NES action games **MASSIVE ULTRA UPDATE*

Postby Macaw » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:04 am

Haha I was just gonna add a couple of games to the list but it spiralled out of control and I added like 30 more games to the front page. Also added more info to a lot of existing descriptions and more screenshots, so make sure to see the added stuff on Dragon Unit and Max Warrior among others!

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:56 pm

really informative, thanks!

I wouldn't have considered checking those SNK ports out.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Shou wrote:Both Guevara versions are extremely expensive over here too. You don't really see either but the same could be said for AC Ikari III lol

What kind of money does the Guevara PCB go for? I've been clearing out my games again, mostly the biggest and most expensive ones. Picked up Guevara from the US which was peculiar.

With my console games I'm at the stage where I'm giving them away. Got 10 yen for three Megadrive games last week.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:11 am

Macaw, what's your take on Namcot Star Wars? Personally I find it to be one of the most under appreciated games ever. It has issues, but I feel like the game is designed around them, and the force powers allow you to cheat at parts you may find difficult anyway. And Vader turns into a giant pink shark.. Put it on the list you fool. ;)
Stronger then your average deadite

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:52 am

haha oh man that game. Another licensed title that turns the source material into a completely bizarro platformer like the nes Predator game ;) I have never put time into Namco Star Wars yet, but I have watched some guy on nico live play it for weeks lol. If Predator is on the list, then Namco Star Wars can be on the list too hahaha.

By the way the Lucas Arts Star Wars on Nes I regard as a full awesome game, another game that needs to be on the list.

*Edit* some random questions regarding real famicom hardware if anyone knows:

- What are the differences with the 2 different boxed versions of the famicom 3D system, and do either work with the AV Famicoms?

- Does the Famicom Disk System and the Family Trainer work with the AV famicom?

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:00 am

The Disk System definitely works with the AV Famicom. I have a working boxed Disk System for sale if you're looking for one.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:07 am

You mean the Sharp vs Nintendo 3D Systems?

No real difference, the Sharp one was just sold under their name to go along with the Sharp Twin Famicom units. Differences are just cosmetic (I have both versions). And yes they all work with every version of Famicom. The AV Famicom has the same 15pin connector as the older units do.
Stronger then your average deadite

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:33 am

Yeah that would be it. Maybe eventually I will bother buying real hardware to try this stuff out.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:50 am

Macaw wrote:Yeah that would be it. Maybe eventually I will bother buying real hardware to try this stuff out.

This reminds of how crappy the design is for the glasses socket on the Mark III/SMS is. The mini earphone socket has a metal coil that wraps around the connector which loosens greatly over time, especially if you leave the glasses plugged in. I bought a brand new set back in 2007 or so and having left it connected for all of these years, I now have to regularly open up the card side and press the connectors down.
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”