Awesome Famicom/NES action games **MASSIVE ULTRA UPDATE**

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: Huge ass fancy thread on Famicom action games

Postby sven666 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:36 pm

lickle is called "little samson" here in the west and is as far as i know a pretty praised platformer (its a great mega man-esq game), quite rare tho due to the late release, atleast the PAL version goes for a mint..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Tue May 29, 2012 2:37 am

lickle throws out stunning sprite art like it's nothing. the real kicker is that even screenshots don't do it justice because of how great the animation is. it has to be a calling card of kiyoshi's artwork to throw in really flashy animations yet make them look smooth and natural. why does lickle do a pirouette every single time he jumps? man, who cares, it looks awesome.

i guess you can also see kitamura's hand at work because that dragon is pretty much the mega man 2 dragon, take 2. real all-star team behind that game. kind of wish the true final stage was less bullshit (loose a character? okay well suicide out until you continue to get them back cause otherwise ur fuk'd lol) but hey.

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Anyone played Bats & Terry?

Dunno if it's appreciated, but what about faux famicom action games? Anybody heard of the game Oniken an indie title for PC? The demo I've played was a bit on the easy side, but I generally enjoyed it, mostly of the whole boss fest attitude. The full version will be released for free soon in this very month.

http://www.oniken.net/
Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp_fcTF8j10

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:57 pm

sharc wrote:metal storm belongs on the top platformers list too, come to think of it. i love how simple it is to understand how the gravity flip works but how hard it gets to use it properly; when you die it isn't because of bullshit boss patterns or not hoarding enough powerups, you just fucked up and you know why. that boss in the hangar bay where you can't touch the room's surfaces but instead have to constantly move using the enemies themselves as platforms is perfect.

hey me from a month ago

fuck you, our memory sucks and that's almost the worst boss in the game. it's a mechanically repetitive slog that suddenly ends in a puzzle where you have to start the whole boring thing over again if you fuck up. how you would remember this over the shape-shifting boss with all the different projectile types that not only looks cooler and animates beautifully but actually forces you to use the gravity flip in clever ways is a goddamn mystery.

also pick up half-and-half, i'm out now out and it's your fault

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 pm

UPDATED THE SHIT out of the list in the first post. Broken links all fixed, and changed all the game screenshots so now there are multiple screenshots per game usually with one featuring a boss. Most screens taken from around the web but mostly Mobygames. Everyone go browse this stuff some more too see how awesome some of these games are!

Also added a shitload more games:

Faxanadu
Olympus no Tatakai
Splatterhouse - Wanpaku Graffiti
Dragon Unit
Dragon Fighter
Frankenstein
Street Fighter 2010
Max Warrior
Kick Master
Gimmick!
Red Aremmer 2
Ninja Ryukenden
Ninja Ryukenden 2
Ninja Ryukenden 3
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:33 am

I'm curious about Frankenstein as the net says TOSE did the work but I recall seeing many Western names in the credits...

Another series I like which is definitely an acquired taste is Flying Dragon by Culture Brain. The 1st game isn't great but the sequels are much better and even the unique US version, Flying Warriors, which combines elements of both sequels is interesting enough.
become history

BIL_R
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby BIL_R » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Got me a minty Jigoku Goraku Maru, love it. :) The jumping feels a bit twitchy at first (very light touch needed to get the lower jump), but it's easy to adjust to. Like Batman the levels are expressly designed around the character's agility and weapons, and they're a blast to zip through.

I do wish it got a bit more crazy with the towering platforming - the last stage still feels short of the upper limits reached by Batman, Ryukenden I and Dracula III's tougher bits. Still, it requires a deft touch to not get smacked around, and the momentum-based somersaulting is smooth and rewarding - no wonder it got pride of place on the tiny FC back cover. Just one minor instance of lame design early on (2-2 needs a little memorising to avoid landing on enemies / hazards while plummeting downward), otherwise it's all good.

Some great recommendations, Shou - Dragon Fighter is excellent, really digging the methodical sword action (like Dracula with superhero jumps), and the option to turn the game into a hori shooter on command. Massively catchy soundtrack as I've come to expect from Natsume too.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Shou wrote:I'm curious about Frankenstein as the net says TOSE did the work but I recall seeing many Western names in the credits...

The staff list is up at mobygames. All the names are the usual wacky fake names for the japanese developers, although the 2 'advisers' and executive producer are legitimate foreign dudes.

Shou wrote:Another series I like which is definitely an acquired taste is Flying Dragon by Culture Brain. The 1st game isn't great but the sequels are much better and even the unique US version, Flying Warriors, which combines elements of both sequels is interesting enough.

I love the Culture Brain stuff. All crazy gimmicks and weird ideas, but always cool.

BIL_R wrote:Got me a minty Jigoku Goraku Maru, love it. :) The jumping feels a bit twitchy at first (very light touch needed to get the lower jump), but it's easy to adjust to. Like Batman the levels are expressly designed around the character's agility and weapons, and they're a blast to zip through.

Yeah its a cool game, although all the bosses except the last few totally suck visually. They just look like normal little enemies.

I've been digging the shit out of Holy Diver recently. I had only lightly played it in the past, but after having some decent attempts at it its a lot more impressive. The level designs from stage 2 onwards become totally crazy and relentless. Insanely hard but superbly balanced so nothing feels cheap, and finally being able to clear stages is satisfying. Its worth noting that similar to Frankenstein, Holy Diver has very light 'rpg' style elements to it that spice it up a bit, like finding various items and being able to increase your maximum health gauge. I always like it when these kind of elements are put into linear action games.

I also finally sat down and got a clear in Grand Master a few days back. Easily the most RPG styled pure action game out there, it looks like a full YS style action RPG but it has no saving. Highly polished, and the power up system is really fun as exploring the stages leads to finding better weapons, armor, a shield (that adds a cute little shield graphic to your sprite) and items that increase your attack rate and other things. Clearing stages and not finding some of these items can lead to the rest of the game being waaay more difficult. Disappointingly though are the bosses. they are all about the same size and aren't that spectacular despite some cool attack patterns, they should've been some big ass bosses thrown ion there to give a bit of variety. The lasts sequence of stages though during the climax of the game are amazing though, and alone make me want to play this again in the future to try get a no continue clear.

Alcahest on the Super Famicom is actually quite similar to Grand Master, and features far more impressive bosses and fancier graphics, although none of its stage designs come close to the awesome sequence of last stages in Grand Master and it doesn't have nearly as fun a powering up system, so both game are good in their own ways.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:20 am

Jigoku Goraku Maru

It's Jigoku Gokurakumaru. It's the name of the protagonist from the movie Zipang. It's a pretty wild spinoff, considering the movie is a fantasy movie taking place in the past.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Been on a spree recently, and in addition to Grand Master I have cleared Red Arremer 2, Gimmick, Captain Saver, and Lickle over the last few days, along with clearing Moon Crystal yet again because its so cool.

After seeing the entire game, Lickle is even better than I previously thought. Each boss encounter feels so cool in the game thanks to their intricate designs and animations. Captain Saver had disappointing bosses but the stage designs and high level of challenge thanks to the sparse checkpoints are cool.

I'll probably put more time into Holy Diver now. Is it true that its pretty much one of the hardest platformers ever? I've currently only seen up to stage 3 and its indeed pretty brutal, but damn cool. Irems best platformer I think, way better than their arcade titles in the genre.

At the moment I'm probably leaning towards 2010 Street Fighter being the king of all action games on the system. Ultimately once learned it has heaps more depth and satisfaction compared to the other top tier titles like GUN-DEC, Lickle, Batman, Shatterhand, etc. I just wish it had more of the side-scrolling stages in it. The 'arena's' where you fight an opponent like in the first stage are easily the weakest part of the game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Does Holy Diver feature any time of continue system, or are you just being shmups-level hardcore?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 pm

It has infinite continues.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 pm

cant see Power Blade anywhere in this thread?

awesome action platform game, dont know if it had a japanese release and what its called tho..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2q-W5PgS1g

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Power Blade uses the same engine as the FC game Power Blazer but it's a new game.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am

JoshF wrote:Power Blade uses the same engine as the FC game Power Blazer but it's a new game.

power blazer looks quite weak tho..

found that Power blade 2 is called "Captain Saver" on the FC.. never played either but looks decent enough..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKC5V3BV ... re=related

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 pm

there was a pretty great interview with the guy behind the power blazer > power blade changes a while back. i don't think there are any major differences between power blade 2 and captain saver, anyone know for sure?

Macaw wrote:famicom stuff

holy diver is a goddamn beast and each level just gets exponentially harder. good luck with that one.

probably the neatest thing about lickle, aside from the gorgeous spritework, is the alternate routes. the first time through i got knocked into a pit during the boss fight with the water spirit woman and assumed that was just supposed to happen, but no it's a branching point for a different path through the game. i don't think it's a very long detour, but it's really cool.

i always thought moon crystal's bosses were kind of disappointing; for each one there's a skill intensive dodging attack pattern you can run, or... you can just show up with five hearts, damage race them and win pretty much every time until you hit the lab.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 am

sharc wrote:probably the neatest thing about lickle, aside from the gorgeous spritework, is the alternate routes. the first time through i got knocked into a pit during the boss fight with the water spirit woman and assumed that was just supposed to happen, but no it's a branching point for a different path through the game. i don't think it's a very long detour, but it's really cool.

Yeah the first time through I wondered where on earth the crab ride scene is. Have to fall in that hole during the water spirit boss. The alternate route has the crab ride along with 2 different bosses.

sharc wrote:i always thought moon crystal's bosses were kind of disappointing; for each one there's a skill intensive dodging attack pattern you can run, or... you can just show up with five hearts, damage race them and win pretty much every time until you hit the lab.

Its not possible to do it for the Stage 5 boss either. It certainly kinda sucks, but the last few stages bosses kinda make up for it, especially with how there are multiple bosses in the lab and how cool they look.

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:08 pm

nah, you totally can. ._. probably got more pissed off than i should have when i started looking around at recorded throughways and realized i had done everything the hard way and you could just button mash through almost every boss.

i do like the lab bosses, but i really love that escape scene. death defying platforming feels more suitable as the game's last challenge, and it's great how all those seemingly useless shafts and walkways throughout the level suddenly become ways for it to work backwards as well as forward.

hey, did you ever get around to playing wing of madoola? i finished that a while back and almost got stuck on the last level because to reach the final boss you need a whole shitload of mp, but by the time you know that all the enemies have been wiped from the stage so there's nowhere to get it back if you're out.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 am

Moon Crystal's strong point indeed is just the fun of running through the level designs as opposed to the bosses. The jumping and double jumping are incredibly fun.

Never tried to clear Wings of Madoola. Will get around to it eventually, really cool game

My rampage of famicom games continues though, in addition to all the shit I cleared in my previous posts I have now cleared Ninja Crusaders, Kage, and Gun-Dec. I'm surprised how many of these games I played a bit in the past, but never actually saw all the way through until now.

Ninja Crusaders is short and lacking in any kind of depth and decent variety in the stages, but it sure is fun, especially running through the stages killing everything in one or two hits with the Bo. There was a second loop but I didn't clear it.

Kage I gotta say is my favorite of the Famicom Natsume titles, better even than Shatterhand. The level designs are filled with insane variety, both in the enemies, their placement, and the platforming obstacles. Methodically moving through each level is ridiculously satisfying, especially with the powerup system where collecting the same weapon while not getting hit too many times powers up either your sword or spear hook thing. I recommend the game like crazy. In comparison I tried to play Natsume's Dragon Fighter yet again, but the stage designs always start boring me to death...

Gun-Dec of course plays as flawlessly as a Ninja Ryukenden clone should, except the cyberpunk theme is way cooler for me. Levels designs don't get quite as satisfying as Kage's does, but Gun-Dec has fancier graphics and other gimmicks like the driving scenes and such. Not much else to say other than its another must play title.

So I've blown through most of the more appealing action titles now, and there is a heap of them I will definitely play more in the future to try get no-continue clears in and such, but Holy Diver is still a brick wall in terms of trying to finish it, hahahah. People aren't fuckn kidding when they say Holy diver has astronomical difficulty, surely it must be the hardest game on any of the 8/16 bit consoles alongside the super star wars trilogy. It sure is awesome though, every part of every stage always has some new enemy, new item, or something interesting to discover that makes you want to keep playing especially for people that dig games with a dark and gothic theme. I've currently gotten up to the bit where you kill a kind of mini boss that drops an item that lets you transform into the dragon for the first time.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 am

Macaw wrote: People aren't fuckn kidding when they say Holy diver has astronomical difficulty, surely it must be the hardest game on any of the 8/16 bit consoles alongside the super star wars trilogy.

wat? the super strawars trilogy is concidered to be very hard games? I cleared all of them many times as a kid.. while difficult and frustrating at times there certainly are tons of much harder games?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:58 am

sven666 wrote:
Macaw wrote: People aren't fuckn kidding when they say Holy diver has astronomical difficulty, surely it must be the hardest game on any of the 8/16 bit consoles alongside the super star wars trilogy.

wat? the super strawars trilogy is concidered to be very hard games? I cleared all of them many times as a kid.. while difficult and frustrating at times there certainly are tons of much harder games?

Were you playing on easy difficulty? I finished them as a kid too, but I went back to the first game recently playing on Normal and its fuckn hard, and the other games only get harder.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Macaw wrote:Were you playing on easy difficulty? I finished them as a kid too, but I went back to the first game recently playing on Normal and its fuckn hard, and the other games only get harder.

never, i was pretty OCD about playing on normal or harder difficulty even as a kid, took great pride in being fairly good at videogames too.. it certainly had more bang to it back in grade school than it does some 20 years later :P

ill just have to fire em up some day and see for myself i guess..

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Well I've blown through all of these famicom games (using continues) with no problems at all except for Holy Diver, and all the 16 bit stuff is usually easy as shit on defaults except for Alien Soldier which is an arcade level difficulty clear.

So if you give the star wars games a try on normal and find them manageable, then please suggest to me a harder game on consoles :D

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Don't forget about these:

The Ultimate Stuntman
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ultima ... untman.htm

Huang Di : Zhuolu zhi Zhan
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/huangdi/huangdi.htm

sharc
Exchange Student