Mysterious Stones - Dr Kick in Adventure

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Mysterious Stones - Dr Kick in Adventure

Postby Macaw » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 am

This has to be one of the most awesome arcade titles that no no one knows about. Kinda like Zelda, except with an Indiana Jones-esque theme with you having to recover treasures from temples or caves then escape. The parts in between stages where your treasure gets appraised for a point value by a bunch of scientists are hilarious.

The crazy thing is this game was released in 1984! Thats 2 years before the first Zelda and the same year as Hydlide. No other games of the time even come close as far as having such a fleshed out theme, multiple different looking areas each with different monsters, and the awesome little details such as the bird on Dr Kicks shoulder that sometimes fies around and hits enemies.

The game holds up incredibly well today and is super fun to play for score, discuss!
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:19 am

Here's an extensive writeup of the game:

http://www.thisischris.com/feature/2006/drkick.html

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:01 pm

its a cool game indeed, i agree that something like this could be produced in 1984 kinda boggles the mind..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:03 am

Technos really had something special going on back then. Interesting note about the board is that even though the DIPs say the screen can be flipped, it doesn't work. I've sent my PCB out 2 times and it's come back as that's just the way it is...
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Anyone know what the conditions are for getting a treasure thats worth 10,000,000 points, or is it just random?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Return to “Japanese Video Games”