[PC] Gunhound X

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

[PC] Gunhound X

Postby Macaw » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:40 am

2 years later, Dracue returns with a new game Gunhound X, which as the name somewhat implies is more of a powered up version of the first Gunhound.

The original Gunhound was a good Valken inspired action game, but my biggest problems with is was that is was way too short, and only the first and last stages were really all that interesting. Judging from the beta of Gunhound X though it looks to have much, much more potential.

Demo and info of Gunhound X can be seen here http://labs.dracue.co.jp/

The demo has the first stage, which is essentially the same first stage from the original Gunhound, but there is heaps more fanciness. The visuals have been changed/improved in many areas, there are new enemies, lots more mini bosses, the interface looks more slick etc. Definitely have to keep an eye out for this.

The beta demo is very early though, you cant even change most of the options or settings yet (which of course means no widescreen mode yet, like the original Gunhound had)

Dracue also announced they are developing a 3DS game, though I cant say i'm all that interested in what it could be.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 am

Video of first stage can also be seen here: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15512139

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: [PC] Gunhound X

Postby Shou » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:00 am

Read on a Japanese site that the music is being done by the composer of Thunder Force III-V. Looking forward to the OST at least!
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:45 am

The game has been retitled Gunhound EX and the developer released an update patch for the people with a copy of the original Gunhound that detects the original EXE file then downloads all the EX shit from the net. Its the full EX game but its still a beta and there are various little bugs and things that need cleaning up (and its also possible to kill most of the new last boss from far away so that he doesn't even initiate his attacks patterns)

Anyway the game is a shitload better than the original Gunhound. The presentation is slicker, stages have been slightly redesigned in areas, and there are new bosses and shit. A run through of it feels a lot more satisfying now than the original which felt a bit short and empty. There are still 5 stages, though there is a bonus stage now, and stages 4 and 5 are now switched around but there is a new last boss at the end of 5.

Also the last boss is incredibly similar to the last boss from Valken, and the ending is incredibly similar to the ending of Night Slave. I'm not just saying this lightly either, the resemblance/copying is pretty striking.

One of the coolest changes is easily the redrawn 3rd boss:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 am

EX was just patched with a substantial amount of extra fanciness and balance added. However, you can still destroy most of the last boss before it activates its patterns!

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:26 pm

This was going to come out on PSP this month, but it's been delayed to January thanks to the discovery of a serious glitch. G.Rev is publishing, and may have been involved in porting the game. I don't think it's going to have any new content over the EX-patched PC version, though.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 am

The retail version of the original PC release is becoming extremely hard to find. PSA for all of you collectors out there.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 am

I heard the EX patch for the PC version only works for the original retail release? If true, that will drive up the desirability too. I have the box right here behind me covered in dust haha, never figured it would be worth more than a few bucks.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Was there more than one PC release? I've been enjoying the demo and am trying to decide if I should embark on an expedition to try and track down the PC version or just wait another month or so for the PSP to come out.
You also distaste me with passion!

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 pm

No, there is no hard copy PC release of Gunhound EX. Just the original version.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Right, but I was referring to
Macaw wrote:I heard the EX patch for the PC version only works for the original retail release?

(Emphasis mine.)
The wording suggests that A) there was more than one retail release and B) the EX patch only works on the original one. I may have misunderstood it in that fashion, which is what I wanted to clarify. I realize that EX is a download-only patch against the original Gunhound.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 am

The EX patch on PC only works with the retail version. I believe the download release in Japan is already patched to be EX.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 am

Is dracue really a full time company? I mean they released Gunhound years ago and since then just the rather minor EX update and now the psp port. Either they have a secret project in the works since gunhound, or they just work 1 day a week hahha. Their website definitely shows they don't intend to appear as any kind of doujin group.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 am

Macaw wrote:Is dracue really a full time company? I mean they released Gunhound years ago and since then just the rather minor EX update and now the psp port. Either they have a secret project in the works since gunhound, or they just work 1 day a week hahha. Their website definitely shows they don't intend to appear as any kind of doujin group.

I'm guessing that they do contract work to stay in business and due to NDAs, can't reveal what it is.
become history

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 am

Game's out for PSP. NCSX seems to have delayed my shipment.

Apparently it's identical to the patched PC version, with the addition of full voice acting. The original version is not included.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Supposedly there was going to be a trial version but they hadn't decided on the date; I've been holding off purchasing it until then. Looking back at the G.Rev site I no longer see any mention of it, so maybe they've scrapped that idea.

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 pm

It looks like it's also on PSN. I'll have to figure out the whole Vita account switching business, don't want to play on my launch PSP if I don't need to.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Supposedly there was going to be a trial version but they hadn't decided on the date; I've been holding off purchasing it until then. Looking back at the G.Rev site I no longer see any mention of it, so maybe they've scrapped that idea.

There is at least a demo of the original PC version.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:12 am

Yup, got that one, and the PC EX demo too, but they don't tell me how the game runs on the PSP.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 am

Considering that they delayed the game to fix a major bug, I wouldn't worry.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Return to “Japanese Video Games”