[Wii] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[Wii] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:25 am

Watched the videos... not really feeling this. Anyone going to get it? I like most Zelda games, old and new... this one I'm just not excited about. Guess I'll wait until it's used/cheap.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: [Wii] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Postby Shou » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Watched the videos... not really feeling this. Anyone going to get it? I like most Zelda games, old and new... this one I'm just not excited about. Guess I'll wait until it's used/cheap.

Same, waiting for it to get bargain binned.

Funny how the last major Nintendo title on Wii and Gamecube is Zelda.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 am

And while I enjoyed the wolf one, it was a far cry from the fun I had on the other games... I guess the last one I loved was Fushigi no Boushi which I should play again. My GBA's batteries suck the big one though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:And while I enjoyed the wolf one, it was a far cry from the fun I had on the other games... I guess the last one I loved was Fushigi no Boushi which I should play again. My GBA's batteries suck the big one though.

I'm not current on Zeldas, haven't ever cleared Ocarina of Time and I've attempted 3 times now...also, have the CD-i ones to play lol
become history

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:38 am

Shou wrote:also, have the CD-i ones to play lol

lol :D

i havent played a zelda since ALTTP but concidering picking this up for my girl, theres another zelda on the wii, anyone play that?
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:00 am

I had the JP version on preorder for weeks, but I was skeptical of the motion controls. I recently read a few reviews about how they suck. I also read that the game is full of pointless filler. So, I cancelled that preorder. It's a shame how motion controls are forced on people and often ruin Wii games. The best Wii games have little to no motion controls. If Nintendo just gave people the option to use normal controls for their big titles (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, etc), the world would be a better place (and they'd sell more games too!).

The last really great Zelda game was Wind Waker.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:01 pm

I say this with full confidence: ditto!

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:51 pm

EOJ wrote:The last really great Zelda game was Wind Waker.

I could write an essay on all the stuff wrong with Wind Waker. The last great Zelda game (using 'great' in a literal sense) was Majora's Mask.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:24 pm

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Don't make me do it (I'm strapped for time these days. :P )

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 am

skykid wrote:I could write an essay on all the stuff wrong with Wind Waker.

THe only problem w/ Wind Waker is that the whole boat system was re-used in every successive Zelda. It was fine as a one-off.

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:It was fine as a one-off.

Each to their own, I thought it was a badly implemented, highly tedious and overly important aspect to the game. Unlike other Zelda games, which open warp holes mid-way so you can jump to previously explored areas more easily, the boat never gets a proper upgrade, meaning you have to repeat the sailing process all the way through. In a game that actually requires copious amounts of exploration to finish, it's an unforgivable oversight.
The sea based combat is also totally flawed, as you need to put your sail down to use the cannon, which makes you a sitting duck for incoming fire, and there are no angled turns to avoid it. As demonstrated here:

http://youtu.be/eONHsaL35EQ?t=2m

Wind Waker was an unfinished game rushed to meet deadline, as Eiji Aonuma cited several times. And yeah, it showed.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Almost every game is.
And there were those cyclones which let you warp. It's not w/o it's flaws, but the game was fun... something heaps of games unfortunately fail to do. I do agree that MM is a better game though. I hate the N64 but do miss the two Zeldas, Mario64, and Mario Kart.

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Almost every game is.
And there were those cyclones which let you warp. It's not w/o it's flaws, but the game was fun... something heaps of games unfortunately fail to do. I do agree that MM is a better game though. I hate the N64 but do miss the two Zeldas, Mario64, and Mario Kart.

The situating of the cyclones was utterly gay, in that they dropped you back in the middle of an expanse of sea iirc.

Majora's Mask is unsung genius - so few people 'got it'. I remember selling it to guys over the counter who would come back the next day complaining "I don't know what's happening, the world keeps ending" and would trade it back in.

Majora's only shortcoming is that it's unorthodox design makes it initially unapproachable - but play beyond the first two hours and it's probably the most intelligent adventure game design I've ever encountered. The Back to the Future of gaming. ;)

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm

I agree about Majora's Mask. Wind Waker was fun, as was Twilight Princess, but they didn't reach into greatness like the earlier games.

Recently I played and finished the '86 Zelda for the first time and was quite surprised how fun and fascinating it is.

I'm about 1.5h into Skyward Sword and am looking forward to more time with it, I find it appealing, we'll see.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”