Horror Visual Novels (Human Entertainment, Chunsoft, et al.)

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: Horror Visual Novels (Human Entertainment, Chunsoft, et

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:52 am

It's pretty discouraging to spend an hour jumping back and forth between the screen and your dictionary and then realize you've just made it through about five minutes of actual gameplay.
You also distaste me with passion!

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:05 am

zinger wrote:I'm holding out too, and would much rather use Japanese Nobel prize literature for mere practice, before I'm ready for these. :)

Haha, my thoughts exactly: When it comes to native Japanese materials, I'd rather use the boring stuff first for mere practice whether that's game 説明書s or yes, Nobel Prize-winning classic/contemporary Japanese literature. When it comes to the actual enjoyment and when I'm ready, I'll leave the best for last, say, Dead of the Brain from earlier in this thread.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:It's pretty discouraging to spend an hour jumping back and forth between the screen and your dictionary and then realize you've just made it through about five minutes of actual gameplay.

That's one incentive for building up a decent internal (i.e. brain) vocabulary (and grammar) database beforehand. It is quite encouraging to read a sentence in an uninterrupted flow without breaking it up with dictionary lookups.

Anyway for now, I'm going to ask another forum for advice on the next path for my Japanese studies because I'm kinda stalled at the moment.
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 am

I had initially tried to build up the internal database, but I'm finally coming to terms with the realization that it just doesn't work for me. The only vocab/kanji/grammar I retain is the stuff I come across in real life a few times, because then it's easier to form an attachment between some abstract bit of language and a real-world use. That's why I'm moving more towards trying to work through media as a learning exercise--because that's how I learned English, by challenging books above my level and either inferring meaning of words and phrases from the surrounding text (easy in English, less so in Japanese) or looking it up as I go (rarely did this in English; a requirement in Japanese). Unfortunately, at that time I was a kid trying to make my way through adult books; now, I'm more or less an adult, and Doraemon-level stuff is enough to make me break a sweat from exertion.

If you're the type that learns well from flashcards, I really recommend the Anki flashcard program. It's free for just about every computing and mobile platform (though the filthy iOS rabble have to pay for their version, for some reason), and it works fantastically. Apparently the program is based on some sort of randomization algorithm that's supposed to be constantly quizzing you on items that you'd be just about to forget. You can download flashcard "decks" online that other people have made, or you can create your own. The program's not just for language learning, but there are a handful of pretty good Japanese decks once you wade through all the crap that comes from the "romaji is useful" school of thought. I've got a couple for JLPT study that have been pretty helpful to me.
You also distaste me with passion!

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Greatsaintlouis wrote:I had initially tried to build up the internal database, but I'm finally coming to terms with the realization that it just doesn't work for me. The only vocab/kanji/grammar I retain is the stuff I come across in real life a few times, because then it's easier to form an attachment between some abstract bit of language and a real-world use.

That's exactly what I want to do: acquire new vocabulary from Japanese media (e.g. video games) and create my own personal vocabulary deck to be reviewed on Anki (which you mentioned) in the future. Although my Core 6000 deck is mature now (give or take a few hundred vocab), my memorisation of those 6000 words were mostly "cold" and rote (a concept I'm sure many hate).

My intention of making the custom vocab deck is as you said, to provide the "emotional attachment" (for lack of a better word) that pre-made vocab decks lack which improves the memorisation process. I have a few Anki-related issues though which I'm seeking advice on at the moment.

If I get the solutions I seek, then the future of me playing the visual novel games in this thread may be closer than anticipated.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Unfortunately, at that time I was a kid trying to make my way through adult books; now, I'm more or less an adult, and Doraemon-level stuff is enough to make me break a sweat from exertion.

Indeed, as Japanese-learning gaijins, it can be argued that "children's" books (a misnomer as far as language learning is concerned) are just as challenging as young adult/adult books. Yes, children's books contain less Kanji but they make up for it in reasonably long strings of hiragana-only sentences or worse, katakana-only (Famicom Legend of Zelda comes to mind). If one wishes to read children's media, then a decent internal database of vocabulary is necessary (or at least reasonable knowledge of grammar so one knows when a word starts and finishes in order to search for it in a dictionary).

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Anki

Anki... I honestly don't know what I'd do without it.

Ankidroid (for Android) is pretty much worth buying a smartphone for. Now you can make good use of that 1 hour commuting time or while waiting in line at a bank or whatever.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:41 pm

It has only just come to my attention that I can use my Android Phone to automatically create Ankidroid vocabulary cards (sourced from Japanese dictionary apps).

This changes things. It means that I am may be more enthusiastic about not only diving into native Japanese media but also enthusiastic about looking up words in the dictionary (i.e. I have something to show for it i.e. custom-made personalised Ankidroid flashcards).

Dead of the Brain, here I come?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”