Replacing save batteries in old carts

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Replacing save batteries in old carts

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:41 am

I've been on a bit of a recent run of finally finishing some games I've never completed before, having just finally knocked off both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 within about a two week period. I set my sights on some older titles as a bit of a palate cleanser, and reminded myself that I had never actually finished Super Metroid. So I sat down with that for a few hours, collected some missile upgrades and energy tanks, then saved and shut the whole thing off for the night.

To my horror, the next day when I turned the Super Nintendo on, I was greeted with three blank save slots, empty as the day the game was purchased!

I guess I had always considered the idea of some of my NES or Famicom carts having their battery go out on them, but the possibility never struck me with SNES/SFC titles. Has anyone here had the experience of replacing the save batteries in these older cartridges? Is it something relatively easy to do, like a clip-in CR2032, or are the generally the specific variants with the solder tabs? And does anyone know of any decent cheap web shops that would ship the obnoxious little security bit you need to get into these carts? I bought the larger version years ago that lets you open a SNES or N64 console, but have since forgotten where I got it. Any help is appreciated.
You also distaste me with passion!

Return to “Japanese Video Games”