[PS2] Yamato: Iscanadar he no Tsuioku freebees

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS2] Yamato: Iscanadar he no Tsuioku freebees

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:12 am

First runs of Bandia's upcoming Uchu Senkan Yamato: Iscandar he no Tsuioku (reelased date 10.06) will reportedly come with a nice DVD containing in game movies, as well as a limited box. Oddly enough, I can't find jack on this game anywhere on the net. :x
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:53 am

Cool. I love Yamato(StarBlazers here) games. Will you be picking this one up yourself?

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:53 am

i'm still kicking myself to this day over the lost LD collection... :( pretty much all my LD collection went missing after I moved to Sydney. never found what happened though... cheers

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:06 am

Debating it. I could never get into the PSX ones, b/c they're quite complex, and that whole "use the save from the old game" kinda killed it for me when I wanted to play the "Saraba" one. I do quite enjoy the show though... one of the movies was on TV not long ago, I sat down and watched about half of it for 3 or 4 hours. :) I'll probably pick this up, now that I'm starting to understand strategy games and all.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:10 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: I'll probably pick this up, now that I'm starting to understand strategy games and all.
Strategy games ;)

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:01 am

I tried the PC Engine CD one and never liked that one very much. I never saw the show some years ago, but I do know some people that are really into it and told me I should try watching it.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:32 am

Honestly, the show is classic Sci-Fi stuff, even though it's horribly dated (bellbottoms, and haircuts like my current one :) ) Watching the TV series gets a bit long-winded (11 hours total). Maybe 1 a day isn'ta bad idea. Too bad no group ever translated/subtitled the TV shows. The English dub of the first two seasons is about as good as English dubbing gets, but they cut out some violence. The movie "Saraba Uchu Senkan Yamato" is probably the best one.... I won't spoil it, but you kind of have to think of it in a different universe. Very good, but long. Two hours and 20 minutes if I remember correctly. As for the games: I think Banpresto did all of them except fo the PC-Engine game, which was done by Human Interctive I'm giong to say (but am probably wrong). Too lazy to check right now.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:12 am

11 hours isn't too bad. I have some series and other stuff that is like 50 hours long. I think some of that stuff might of got released on DVD. If it's cheap enough and I can find I might check it out. I generally like Sci Fi stuff but it's just one of those many things I never got around to seeing. I think your right for the PC Engine version as I don't think Bandia did any games on the system and Human made a fair amount of stretegy games for the system.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:59 pm

it's one of three anime that I watched on telly growing up. the other two are Mazinger Z and Galaxy Express 999... guess I just told how old I am. :D cheers

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:34 pm

It was my first true love... I remember raciing home to watch it, and being surprised when characters actually died. Azazel, you can watch the first TV show in a 2.5 hour movie. You miss quite a bit of the character development (like one character being a cyborg) but you get the gist... you also miss some of the villains die, and there's not as many dildo-missiles (sorry, couldn't resist). Saraba Yamato was a movie first, then they went back and made the same story into a 26 hour TV series. Kind of weird doing it that way, but it allowed for them to not let so many damn characters die. These two TV series were the ones that were shown on TV when I was a kid, in the 80's. The third season came out in Japan in the early 80's, and is kind of pants... the dub is crap as well, using all new people, and a different production company. Story is pretty boring. Everyone should probably ignore it. I always thought Robotech was garbage when I was a kid... Gatchman I was a bit young for, but that's some good 70's cheesiness as well!

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:25 pm

I do remember watching Mazinger Z back than too. I can't seem to remember Galaxy Express 999 but there were so many of those robot/mech shows back in the 70s and 80s it's hard to remember all of them. I was born in the 70s so most of these I remember. I very well might of seen Yamato and I just don't remember it anymore. I'll probably see about tracking it down as I'm really into tracking down and watching a lot of this stuff from the 70s and 80s. I missed out on Gotchaman too. I thought Robotech was fine back than. Not sure if I would like it as much now than as I would back than.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:39 pm

Galaxy Express 999 is about this young boy who dreamt to have robot body and wanted to travel to a planet where you can have it for free... There were few movies based on TV series but I still think TV series was the best. The artist who did it also did Captain Harlock and in one of movie he appears - in fact Galaxy Express 999 is sort of crossover with Captain Harlock and Queen Emeraldas(?)... I remember used to read the manga as well... never find out whether the lady in black is indeed robot or not - although in the movie she is but I consider the movie as in alternative universe kind of thing... I watched Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger and even short lived special where Great Mazinger and Mazinger Z fight together... I even remember watching original Devilman and he awful movie where Mazinger Z and Devilman appeared together... :p It was first and only robot anime that I was interested in till Gundam came along... wasn't too keen on the original Gundam but was hooked on Z Gundam... which geared me into Gundam modelling... cheers

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:20 am

A key tidbit that dj failed to mention -- the charater designer of GE999 and Harlock is the same guy that did Yamato. Reiji Matsumoto -- who's name turns up about a billion hits on Google Japan. Also worth noting is the PSX games feature updated charater deisngs, which I'm most sure came from him... if not, extremely good fakes, but I doubt they could get away w/ that. Daft Punk also picked him up to design three of their music videos. One song was good, another one got on your nerves after abou 2 minutes, and sounded like the theme to a gay pride parade. I never heard/saw the third.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:40 am

yep! that's him and I believe he also did character design for Millenium Queen? the manga really shows his unique style - far better than TV anime IMO... cheers

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:56 am

Its seems everyone got into anime back in the early 80's I remember watching the StarBalzers series back in 78. We also had a show called "Force 5" It had 5 different series:StarVengers,Spaceketeers,Grandizer(Mazinger Z), Gaiking and Danguard Ace. Dam I wish you could get these on DVD. A few years ago I bought a decent bootleg set of Danguard Ace off of ebay. Has anyone played the Yamato GB game? I picked it up years ago. Its a cool little strategy game.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:13 am

there is a Koran web site that shows all those robot shows during 70, 80s.. to bad it's in Korean otherwise it would be a great database... :) By the way anyone ever seen Voltron V - or just Voltron? It's dubbed version of Korean made Taekwon V. When I was in Korea last year I picked up LE DVD pack that has all three movie release as well as US dubbed version. cheers

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:07 am

I have no idea which Voltron your refering to. I have all the Lion Force, third dimension episodes on VCD as well as the Fleet of Dome Movie which has both Voltrons in it. I know there was vechicle Force Voltron but I've never seen it and I haven't been able to get my hands on the episodes. I've heard the Vechicle Force series wasn't as good as Lion Force.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:17 pm

you mean this one? Image Image or this one? Image cheers

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:05 pm

That is pure cheese -- I love it!

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:40 pm

The first 2 look like Vechicle Force and the third one is obviously Lion Force. Since you bought up the topic I might actually force myself to watch Third Dimension so I know what it actually is. I remember it was suppsoe tob e bad the animation is 3D. :(

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:17 pm

if you are referring to that awful 3D CG series I don't like that either. I only saw 3-4 episodes but it was enough for me... in fact I'm not too keen on all those 3D CG remakes... Beast Wars anyone? WTH??? :) cheers

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:02 am

yep that the 3D CG series. Thankfully it only lasted a season. :) I'm not keen on 3D CG period. That why I mainly stick to 70s, 80s stuff. I saw a episode or 2 of Beast wars. It was more than enough for me. :( I'd rather watch the poorly english duped Japanese series over that.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:05 am

Azazel wrote: I'm not keen on 3D CG period. That why I mainly stick to 70s, 80s stuff.
I 2nd that statement :) I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were going to make Captain Harlock and Derek Wildstar brothers in a movie. Did that happen or am I out to lunch?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:59 am

No, you're correct. Derek Wildstar (Susumu Kodai... the actor of which died some years ago, btw... just thought I'd throw that in) was originally going to be the brother of Harlock, or they were going to make his brother become Captain Harlock.... either way, the brother just lived on Iscandar, remained who he was (Mamoru Kodai / Alex Wildstar) and reproduced w/ an alien. I"m not sure why they changed it, but I'm about 1000% sure there's an answer out there on the internet. While we're on this topic, my wife was telling me about a time she was walking down the street a couple of weeks ago, minding her own business. She walked past a guy that was humming to himself, "Saraba, Chikyuu-yo..." which is the opening lines of the Yamato theme song. :?

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:03 am

guys check this out. it's in Korean but you can see the pictures... don't think there's any workable translator from Korean to English yet... cheers

Return to “Japanese Video Games”