Tenchi wo Kurau 2

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Tenchi wo Kurau 2

Postby Macaw » Thu May 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Any other big fans of this game here?

Practically everything Capcom did in this genre was gold, but it appears that this is probably the most popular title alongside Final Fight. I remember seeing this fuckn everywhere in Japan constantly being played by businessmen, and in China its apparently popular enough that bootleg famicom imitations of the game are still being made to this day.

The major differences between this and other capcom belt scroll action games is really just the quantity of dudes it throws at you at once, as well as the emphasis on throwing dudes into other dudes (usually by doing the throw-ender combo by holding down or up during the normal combo string). Most of the fun just comes from the endless throwing dudes into each other for crowd control, just so fuckn fun.

Digging a little deeper though there are a lot of technical intricacies which add a lot to the game too. The characters are quite different from each other even though it doesn't appear so at first, such as Zhou yu essentially being able to run and dash around the screen quickly and being proficient when using the horse, Huang Zhong having ranged attacks, and Zhang fei being shithouse on horseback, having a slow ass dash, but having the most types of grappling moves. Being able to cancel the special down up attack moves off of the dash moves for all characters is also pretty cool.

The character specific moves are incredibly obscure to people outside the asian countries but fuck do they add a lot to the game. Zhou Yu has a air throw which is incredibly fun to take advantage of when you learn enemy jump patterns, and Zhang Fei's spinning piledriver (done by doing a full 360 degree motion and attack just like zangeif) is probably the single funnest thing to pull off in the game. I was struggling with the motion for ages but now I fuckn piledriver shit all over the place, making the game about 10 times more fun in the process despite me having played the game on and off for the past 10 years. Its weird capcom only put such a complex move command in this game and never did it again. The expansive move list while on horseback is also pretty cool, although you really need to practice and get used to all the shit otherwise riding on a horse is a good way to die for a new player.

I gotta say the graphics are probably amongst some of the most gorgeous Capcom ever did, despite not having the animation the cps2 titles started getting. Similar to Knights of the Round its mostly just lush outdoor areas.

Heres some shit:

Absurdly in depth fan-page/guide/movelist http://www.geocities.jp/rip_gamer/etc/t ... _main.html

This is a must watch video for special tricks and all kinds of crazy shit in the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEvHPx5AP_g&feature=plcp

Watch this if you want to see the pro-wrestling fun that can be had with Zhang fei once you learn his moves (skip to 2:00 when he gets off horseback) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfEMSJBh ... plpp_video

And heres a now legendary nico nico playthrough showing a hilarious Zhang Fei run http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2380951
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Tenchi wo Kurau 2

Postby andsuchisdeath » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:14 am

Hey everyone, I'm a longtime lurker

I guess this thread is the straw that broke the camels back in terms of me finally registering here.

I've been playing Tenchi Wo Kurau II a lot the past week. It's the first time I've found myself going for a serious 1CC despite owning it for years, and I can get up to the stage 9 boss using Kan-U/ Guan Yu (JPN Saturn port). I can definitely taste the 1CC but I'd like to be able to add whatever i can to my advantage. The videos posted above definitely show what can be done with some characters but I was wondering.

Does Kan-U have a special command other than his down up attack, and his Haggar motion back breaker?
Does finishing with certain attacks yield more points?
What triggers treasure upon killing enemies? I hope the Saturn port on medium isn't easier than default arcade settings.

I have a decent handle on the game none the less. This game is certainly one of the best examples of the "mandatory crowd control" belt scroll game.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:03 am

Theres the universal down+ jump tackle as well, but not that useful. If your just trying to get a 1cc, just doing normal combo's with the throw enders for crowd control is the safest tactic for guan yu. His down up special is risky and only good for doing heaps of damage to a big clump of dudes.

Different moves for finishing the bosses give a different bonus at the end of a stage. Not sure what the highest is, probably just a down-up special for a fatality.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby andsuchisdeath » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:24 am

I'm an idiot
Last edited by andsuchisdeath on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:43 pm

andsuchisdeath wrote:I got the 1CC today with Guan Yu.

Congrats! ;)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby andsuchisdeath » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:57 pm

So when I was playing this game heavily I wasn't aware that the Saturn defaults are not the same as the arcades. I should only receive one extend at 300,000.

As of now I can only get as far as the stage 7 boss.

It's going to be a long road ahead...

Return to “Japanese Video Games”