Nekketsu Oyako - Tecnosoft

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Nekketsu Oyako - Tecnosoft

Postby andsuchisdeath » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 pm

It seems that this game is unanimously considered mediocre. I can't fully understand why. I mean yes, it was in essence a console 2D tech demo of the Saturn and Playstation, but it has one of the most extensive combo engines I've ever seen. I have yet to see any impressive displays of this in online videos.

The juggles and cancels can lead to some pretty crazy stuff. Comboing a shoryuken off of a haggar style pile driver is far from an "average beat 'em up" hallmark.

So, I was playing this game with a friend and he pulled off a move I've never seen before with Rando ( it was a multi-hitting ryukoranbu type special)

Does anyone have a comprehensive move list for this game?

Anything I don't already know will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Nekketsu Oyako - Tecnosoft

Postby Macaw » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I always thought this was pretty cool. Better than a lot of the 16 bit console brawlers like the Rushing Beat series and Final Fight sequels. I've never actually put too much time into it yet though, so your post makes me really want to play it more.

I find it similar in style to the Denjin Makai series as well - serious graphic style but lots of humor added in throughout, I don't think the whale scene is something anyone will forget!

A quick google search of the game in Japanese didn't lead to any move lists. Once I play the game more I'll let you know what I can discover.

Its a shame the arcade version was never released. Also how do the Playstation and Saturn versions compare against each other?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:09 am

Have both versions but found that the SS port had more slowdown, tinnier sound and the lack of transparencies were very noticable. I'd say that for the initial Technosoft 32-bit games, the PS versions are better.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:41 am

Okay I figured out the confusion with this game. Basically the Saturn version is MAJORLY reworked from the Playstation original. Changes I noticed from just playing through stage 1 with Rando:

- Multiple special moves added for characters
- Some animation frames added
- Some animation frames altered (for example Rando's dashing kick)
- Bosses have extra attacks and animations
- Some enemy sprites redrawn (Vandammes for instance)
- Presentation of the game is altered (stage intro's etc)
- Enemy falling physics modified to allow for easier juggling
- Moves are more cancelable to allow for more combo's
- Rando moves much faster (in the ps version he is insanely slow)

So yeah, Saturn version is a totally revised version of the game (it came out many months after the Playstation version) I had never read about this before comparing them, no one seems to realize...

I found a site with a saturn movelist in Japanese and expanded upon it a bit, so here is Rando's movelist. Also, I still have not been able to pull off the 'super' move while on low health despite the command given by the site, will need some more time, or someone else can try figure it out.

Moves with multiple hits of the same button are broken up due to the fact that the whole sequence of stuff isn't always what you'd do (for example, Rando's A x 2 launcher can start up a shitload of combo possibilities)

Rando Movelist:

Dash - Double tap left or right
Double Jump - double tap jump button

Normal Moves

A - Punch
A x 2 - Punch then launch
A x 3 - Punch, launch then kick

Dashing Moves

While Dashing + A - Elbow
While Dashing + A x 2 - Elbow then kick
While Dashing + Down + A - Sliding kick

Jumping Moves

While Jumping + A - Jumping kick
While Jumping + Down+ A - Body Press
While Dash Jumping + A - Big flying kick
While Dash Jumping + A x 2 - Double flying kick

Grabbing Moves

While grabbing + A - Chest knee, up to 3 times
While grabbing + left or right + A - Throw
While grabbing + Down + A - Suplex
While grabbing + Jump - Piledriver
While grabbing + Jump x 2 - Super Piledriver
After piledriver has landed - immediately press jump again to jump away and cause an explosion once you land

Special Moves

C - Desperation move (decreases chunk of health)
Forward, down, down forward - Shoryken
(Saturn Only) Up, Down, Forward - Big slash, can also be done in air
(Saturn Only) Forward, Down, Back + A - Big punch, due to the awkward command you need to buffer the command off something otherwise Rando turns around and just does a normal punch. Can also be done while grabbing.
(Saturn Only) While on low health, Forward, Down, Back + A - Super move

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby andsuchisdeath » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:15 pm

You know, I have never played the playstation version. But it sounds like I'm not missing much other than crunchier sound effects, better music IMO and less slowdown. What I would be missing however, is the very engine in which I'm so fond of in the first place.

Oh, for Rando's Big Punch- Forward, Down, Back + A, If you hold the right trigger button you maintain whatever direction you are in, and won't turn around. It's a nice feature (Final Fight Tough has this). But don't get me wrong, I buffer whenever I can.

I saw my friend pull off that low health Rando super several times by accident. It's strange that it is the same command as the "Big Punch". I want to say he comboed it off or cancelled out of a "Big Slash".

On a slightly different note...I've never been a huge fan of playing Belt Scrollers with two players, but playing this game with a partner can expose some of the engine's expansive...almost broken, nature. 3 out of the 5 bosses can been volleyed back and forth with juggles...even with throws! Very Nice.

So yes, thank you Macaw.

Also, having the move list for Tora and Rio would be awesome too.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Saturn version movelist for all characters in Japanese here: http://www2.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~syou526/01 ... oyako.html

I played through stage 2 on the Saturn version, all those fish jumping in the water aren't in the Playstation version. I'm willing to guess that extra graphics and shit has been added in all the stages.

Slowdown is pretty similar in both versions. The only real advantage in the PS version are the transparencies, and thats pretty much pointless considering how much they overhauled everything in the Saturn release.

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby andsuchisdeath » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:56 am

I've made a couple of videos demonstrating some of the more bizarre qualities to the Nekketsu Oyako engine.

This video shows a silly example of the regrabbing properties in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMpq32KlFdQ

This video shows how Tora's cross up kick works as an on-the-ground attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcTXejt7SB0

EDIT: Here are some Rando and Rio videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i84oJCFJSAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4aKd3QClNY

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Haha awesome, I have been meaning to put more time into this again. So much crazy stuff is possible.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”