[PSP to TV] Controller Adapter Max -Wild Fire Gaming Dock-

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

[PSP to TV] Controller Adapter Max -Wild Fire Gaming Dock-

Postby layzee » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks to GP for referring to it in the PSP thread. It sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for (PSP to TV).

This accessory basically allows you to forgo the third acronym in return for full screen television goodness. i.e. You can play your blockbuster PSP games on a TV instead of on a tiny screen with tiny speakers using the non-ergonomic controller (I get hand cramps when playing a DS or PSP after a while). Or at least, that's what I think it does since neither Google nor YouTube were of much help.

Based on its physical appearance, I'm guessing the PSP console is seated on a dock connected to the power outlet so that the PSP is constantly charged while playing. And that I'll need an additional component video cable (which I already have) to connect the PSP to the TV (I think an additional video port on the dock is used, instead of the PSP directly). And finally there should be a port for the PS2 controller somewhere on the dock? Would a PS3 controller by any chance, be possible with the device? (I quite like the comfortable PS3 controller, with or without wireless)

When the PSP's screen is outputted to the television via, I'm assuming, the dock, how is the quality, flicker and resolution? Is it full screen or are there any black bars?

Anything else I should know? Apparently there are some negative points about the device such as input delay or something like that but 90% of my library are RPGs so I don't think it should be much of a problem, assuming the problem exists.

And are there any other products that do a similar job or does a better job?

Finally, anyone got one for sale or know where to get one? Hit me up with a PM!

Next goal: "Passively fInd" (i.e. not find) a way to play Nintendo DS games on a TV. Probably never going to happen but I can't stand playing games on a small screen with small sound. I want the experience a TV offers... GBA and every Game Boy before it + Game Boy Player + GameCube = Great.
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: [PSP to TV] Controller Adapter Max -Wild Fire Gaming Doc

Postby emphatic » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Sounds rad. Does it work with all PSP models?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 am

layzee wrote:Thanks to GP for referring to it in the PSP thread. It sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for (PSP to TV).

This accessory basically allows you to forgo the third acronym in return for full screen television goodness. i.e. You can play your blockbuster PSP games on a TV instead of on a tiny screen with tiny speakers using the non-ergonomic controller (I get hand cramps when playing a DS or PSP after a while). Or at least, that's what I think it does since neither Google nor YouTube were of much help.

Based on its physical appearance, I'm guessing the PSP console is seated on a dock connected to the power outlet so that the PSP is constantly charged while playing. And that I'll need an additional component video cable (which I already have) to connect the PSP to the TV (I think an additional video port on the dock is used, instead of the PSP directly). And finally there should be a port for the PS2 controller somewhere on the dock? Would a PS3 controller by any chance, be possible with the device? (I quite like the comfortable PS3 controller, with or without wireless)

When the PSP's screen is outputted to the television via, I'm assuming, the dock, how is the quality, flicker and resolution? Is it full screen or are there any black bars?

Anything else I should know? Apparently there are some negative points about the device such as input delay or something like that but 90% of my library are RPGs so I don't think it should be much of a problem, assuming the problem exists.

And are there any other products that do a similar job or does a better job?

Finally, anyone got one for sale or know where to get one? Hit me up with a PM!

Next goal: "Passively fInd" (i.e. not find) a way to play Nintendo DS games on a TV. Probably never going to happen but I can't stand playing games on a small screen with small sound. I want the experience a TV offers... GBA and every Game Boy before it + Game Boy Player + GameCube = Great.

These are sold by Datel in Japan but it's difficult to find the exact color you want.

Works on PSP-2000/3000 models with OFW only by copying a program via USB port to the memory stick and then installing it. There is a PS2 controller port on the back and will only work with DS2 controllers (none of the funky controllers) and not PS3. The dock powers the PSP unit using the standard AC adapter and video output is via the PSP video out (the best being component or D out). It does not output full screen, just like the PSP does not, however, you can get an upscaler to do this (quality varies). I haven't encountered any input lag on my setup but have read some reports of it, obviously depends upon your setup.

There is a guy in Japan who is modding DS and 3DS units for video output but I haven't got one yet to test.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 am

emphatic wrote:Sounds rad. Does it work with all PSP models?

As per Shou's post, it works with PSP Slims (2000 and 3000 models). The original phat PSPs (1000) are not compatible with the component video cable in the first place, let alone the Wild Fire device.

Shou wrote:Works on PSP-2000/3000 models with OFW only by copying a program via USB port to the memory stick and then installing it.

Oh right, I was wondering what that CD was. Guess it's not completely "plug 'n' play".

Shou wrote:It does not output full screen, just like the PSP does not, however, you can get an upscaler to do this (quality varies).

I'm not very familiar with "upscalers" so can you recommend one (or more)? Is this like one of those relatively expensive hardware like that "X-RGB" or is that something completely different?

Shou wrote:There is a guy in Japan who is modding DS and 3DS units for video output but I haven't got one yet to test.

Sounds interesting. I wonder how that would work in reality. I'd be willing to destroy my DS Lite to make this happen.

Ideally speaking, since the touch screen is necessary for gameplay, the screen that shows up on the TV should be the "main screen" whether it's the top or bottom one. While the "secondary screen" (map, menu screen, etc...) will remain as normal on the DS. Any interactions using the Stylus would be shown on the TV.

Or maybe the TV would show BOTH screens of the DS. In this case, it would probably be advantageous to place the TV vertically so that both DS screens take up more real estate while having the correct aspect ratio. Vertical SHMUP console players would be used to this (vertical TV) already probably. Or play it while lying down, face on the side. It's not good for head blood flow though.

And finally, the two TV option: one for each DS screen.

In any case, I think it's much preferable to playing on the DS itself. Seriously, epic RPGs (which found a home on both DS and PSP) should be experienced on the big screen. Anyway, just imagining/theorising.

Edit: Actually, this is exactly the sort of thing I want. The "IS Nitro Capture", which seems to be an official Nintendo device, a sort of beefed up DS console, and it fully meets my imagined expectations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9pHzKFXE4

Hopefully, there will be a consumer version available (i.e. not priced several thousand dollars).

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:26 am

There are several 1080p upscalers in the Japanese market. There was a site I found on this...let me see if I can find it again. They generally run around $120.

I have an IS-NITRO and while it has some great functionality, it's missing RGB output from what I can tell, even though it can screen capture in RGB...
become history

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Any idea where I can get one of these Wild Fire PSP adapters shipped to the US? I have a large PSP library, but I'm usually not too motivated to play it because I have to use the system as a controller, even with TV out. I never use it outside the house, so this adapter would be absolutely awesome.

I know the PSP Go has Dualshock 3 support, but that thing is a piece of shit that doesn't play UMDs.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:17 am

Pretas wrote:Any idea where I can get one of these Wild Fire PSP adapters shipped to the US? I have a large PSP library, but I'm usually not too motivated to play it because I have to use the system as a controller, even with TV out. I never use it outside the house, so this adapter would be absolutely awesome.

I know the PSP Go has Dualshock 3 support, but that thing is a piece of shit that doesn't play UMDs.

Given the horrible exchange rate and shipping cost, if you're willing to put up the money, I can pick up a new for you but colors aren't selectable as the stock is whatever is on store shelves still. Send me a PM if you're interested.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 pm

I just bought this item and once I get it, I will post my impressions on it for those who care. Surprisingly enough there is little to no information about this item on the English Internet. Science damn it, how can no-one know about it? Or maybe everyone's using some other accessory that does the same thing? Or nobody cares about playing PSP games on a TV using a PS2 controller?

Actually I have an important question: Will I need to use a step-down converter? Japan/USA is 100-120v while third world countries like Australia (just kidding) uses 220-240v. If I remember correctly, PSP consoles like Nintendo handheld consoles can take power from any voltage point (universal i.e. 100-240v) but it will be the gaming dock that needs the power which I'm not sure about.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:06 am

The official PSP AC adapter just plugs into it and should be 100-240 compatible as I use mine all of the time in places like Singapore.

Also, I did get the 3DS on a big screen mod as well as the Vita one.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

It seems you're the only person I know of on the Internet that owns one so it should only be appropriate that you answer my query. Anyway, excellent re: voltages.

Yeah, I saw your 3DStoTV / Contra derailment thread a while ago. The Vita is new to me though.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 am

layzee wrote:It seems you're the only person I know of on the Internet that owns one so it should only be appropriate that you answer my query. Anyway, excellent re: voltages.

Yeah, I saw your 3DStoTV / Contra derailment thread a while ago. The Vita is new to me though.

It's a Datel product so I would have thought they sold it throughout the world but in Japan, it was targeted at the Monster Hunter crowd.

become history

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:16 pm

i want one of these, are they available somewhere or just thru hassling people in japan? whats the price?
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 am

sven666 wrote:i want one of these, are they available somewhere or just thru hassling people in japan? whats the price?

The Vita TV mod or the wildfire dock?
become history

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 pm

wildfire dock :)

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:55 pm

A few weeks ago, Shou said (to me in a PM) that the Controller Adapter Max can rarely be found anymore (in stores I presume he meant) but when they could be found in stores, then they were 7000 yen or more in used condition.

They're in similarly short supply on Amazon JP and Y!JA where they are about 10,000 yen new. I don't know about non-Amazon Japanese e-Stores.

I've had this item on Gamengai's Alert Function for a while now and usually there would be 1 to 3 listings (or none) at any given time. But last mid-month there was a more than usual quantity of units being listed so I took this opportunity to buy a used one for a fair bit less than the usual price. Shortly after, I was "forced" to buy another one for a similar price because it was new :roll: .

This item is still on my Alerts List but I haven't noticed any new decent listings so I'm guessing last month's listing activity died down and was an anomaly. If going the auction route, expect a price range of about 5500 to 6500 yen or more (excluding shipping, intermediary fees etc). There was one lucky bastard who bought it for 4000 yen with free shipping but that's the auction price bell curve for ya.

Last but least, I don't think I've seen them sold on eBay before but then again, i never search for them on there.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

sell me the one you dont want of the two you have?

or what do you search for on yahoo, i can pick one there too..

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:09 pm

I think I might need some help. As per the instructions:

I connected my PSP to the PC using the USB cable, and ran the program from the disc.
    Then it downloaded and installed the "Wild Fire Gaming Dock" software onto the memory stick.
    I disconnected the USB cable and connected everything else (power adaptor, component video cable, official Sony PS2 controller), docked the PSP on to the dock, and ran the program.
    A picture of the PS2 controller appears on the PSP screen so I press the circle button on the PS2 controller, indicating it is working.
    On the next screen, I have the option of pressing one of the directional keys (i.e. play on TV) or one of the standard buttons (i.e. play on PSP screen). I press the directional keys indicating I want to play on TV.

Then the PSP quits the program and returns to the main XMB screen and the PS2 controller is inactive again (I assume I'm supposed to be able to control the PSP using the PS2 controller at this point). The TV does not at any point show the PSP screen. Is the program supposed to automatically display the PSP screen on the TV or am I supposed to manually do it the normal way?

According to Step 4 on the instructions (Step 1 to 3 is the above), "When the XMB appears on the PSP, preparations have been completed. Start up the game using the normal method." At this point, it also mentions connecting a video cable and manually selecting the option to output the PSP screen to the TV.

As far as troubleshooting goes, the PSP firmware version must be between or inclusive of 5.00 and 6.37 - mine is the old-ass 5.00 "custom firmware" which might be the problem. I don't give a shit about the custom firmware (I don't even know why I did it) so I'll probably just upgrade back to the official firmware anyway. Can I confirm I have the above process correct at least? Or am I forgetting anything else/failing to take into account something?

But in order to upgrade my firmware, I need to have a full battery. However, the situation is that both batteries I have are dead or they're both alive but the contacts on the PSP itself is dead somehow, thus preventing the batteries from charging or being used. Goddamnit... Note to self: For console longevity, remove batteries from consoles one doesn't plan on using.

Edit: Just re-read Shou's earlier post. OFW (Official Firmware) needed. Well, that should solve that.

sven666 wrote:sell me the one you dont want of the two you have?

or what do you search for on yahoo, i can pick one there too..

I'm going to use the preowned for the moment and keep the sealed one sealed.
For search purposes: コントローラアダプタMAX

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:35 am

I think I got it to work in CFW somehow...have to go home and check my unit.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Shou wrote:I think I got it to work in CFW somehow...have to go home and check my unit.

If by any chance you remember how you got it working on CFW, that'd be great if you could let me know.

As it is, my PSP2000 doesn't work with batteries anymore so I have no way to change it from CFW to Official Firmware (system requires a full battery before it can start the firmware update process).

Otherwise, I'll have to buy a new PSP2000 or 3000.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 am

layzee wrote:
Shou wrote:I think I got it to work in CFW somehow...have to go home and check my unit.

If by any chance you remember how you got it working on CFW, that'd be great if you could let me know.

As it is, my PSP2000 doesn't work with batteries anymore so I have no way to change it from CFW to Official Firmware (system requires a full battery before it can start the firmware update process).

Otherwise, I'll have to buy a new PSP2000 or 3000.

Haven't had a chance to look at my unit but I remember installing the wildfire software while in OFW and then changing to CFW. Doing it in that order will work IIRC.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:59 am

Oh okay. Thanks for all the info provided in this thread thus far.

Hey, someone reading this thread just bought one. ;) 2-3 weeks ago anyway.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”