[PSP] R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Exchange Student
Exchange Student

[PSP] R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate

Postby Pretas » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:44 am

Kicking myself for not importing this when it came out. How did this get to be one of the rarest PSP games in existence, possibly the rarest? Used copies on eBay are going for over $180.

I know it was removed from PSN. Did Irem also recall all the unsold copies along with the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi games after the 2011 quake? At this point I wish they would just declare bankruptcy so we can have some closure, rather than watch them cling to the edge as a bottom-tier pachinko company.

For that matter, is the game actually any good? I have the original R-Type Tactics. It's interesting to see the Force and Wave Cannon mechanics, as well as many of the weapons from Final, reworked in a turn-based system. But it's very plodding and mediocre. The need for resources can really drag you down; the game didn't need them at all. I assume the sequel would have made some improvements. From screenshots it looks like the missions are much larger-scale, and you fight the famous Stage 3 battleship in one of them. They also added portraits of human characters in dialogue scenes, a first for the series (outside of that PC-Engine CD port). The "Bitter Chocolate" title is delightfully nonsensical.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Return to “Japanese Video Games”