[360] [PS3] Model 2 Collection

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

[360] [PS3] Model 2 Collection

Postby Pretas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:11 am

Almost too good to be true. PS360 ports of:

Virtua Fighter 2
Sonic the Fighters
Fighting Vipers
Virtual On Cyber Troopers
Virtua Striker (first home port of the game ever)

with netplay, lovingly converted by AM2. All sold as separate downloads.

The first three are due by the end of the year; we won't be getting VO and Striker till 2013. They're also making PS3 VO twinsticks for the first time--maybe we can expect ports of OT and Force to the platform later.

Gotta say, I'm excited to finally be able to play Fighting Vipers against another human.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: [360] [PS3] Model 2 Collection

Postby Pretas » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 am

VF2, Sonic Fighters and FV are all released on both systems as of today. The netcode is very good.

Also, the PS2 Classics rerelease of Virtual On Marz is going have support added for the PS3 twinsticks.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 am

Are you sure AM2 converted them? The AM2 group doesn't really exist anymore...

I'm very curious on how they went about enabling Honey in STF and if the bosses are playable like on the PCB w/ hack. Similarly for Fighting Vipers, if Sonic and Tails are playable, would be interested in a data extract.
become history

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:51 am

I thought AM2 developed Virtua Fighter 5 (+ Final Showdown)? The conversion team credits do mention them. I'm sure the staff has completely changed around though.

These are definitely straight ports of the arcade games. There aren't even any training modes, which is disappointing. Thankfully, they look amazingly crisp. Metal Sonic and Honey are both playable in STF; press Start on Sonic and Amy respectively. I don't think this was the case on the Sonic Gems Collection. No Sonic/Tails in FV, though you can play as Mahler from the start. The Pepsi advertising is gone.

Looking forward to the rest of the collection...Cyber Troopers is my favorite VO, and I've never played the original Virtua Striker. I thought they were going to be $10, but they're only $5 a pop so far. They seem to have recycled the menu design and netcode from VF5:FS, which isn't a bad thing.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Interesting that the hidden characters in Sonic the Fighters are playable. That's definitely worth $5. Now to decide whether to start amassing these games on PSN or XBL... any word?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 am

Pretas wrote:I thought AM2 developed Virtua Fighter 5 (+ Final Showdown)? The conversion team credits do mention them. I'm sure the staff has completely changed around though.

These are definitely straight ports of the arcade games. There aren't even any training modes, which is disappointing. Thankfully, they look amazingly crisp. Metal Sonic and Honey are both playable in STF; press Start on Sonic and Amy respectively. I don't think this was the case on the Sonic Gems Collection. No Sonic/Tails in FV, though you can play as Mahler from the start. The Pepsi advertising is gone.

Looking forward to the rest of the collection...Cyber Troopers is my favorite VO, and I've never played the original Virtua Striker. I thought they were going to be $10, but they're only $5 a pop so far. They seem to have recycled the menu design and netcode from VF5:FS, which isn't a bad thing.

When they started development of VF5, they still existed but after tons of restructuring, they no longer are the same group. No big loss, since they're obviously clueless on what to do anymore.

This is the first time, they've allowed the STF characters to be playable so they've modified the source code a bit. Same goes for the tilemaps on FV since the Pepsi stuff is gone.
become history

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:51 pm

These ports are also native 1080p and look excellent. I'm pretty sure the games are sped up, too, to compensate for the 57hz/60hz difference, but that's to be expected and preferable to the stuttery alternative seen in the Yakuza 5 demo's VF2, if you ask me.

Also, on my Japanese 360, Picky's skateboard still has the Pepsi advertising. I'm betting Pepsiman is still in there.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Pepsiman was an addition to the Japanese Saturn version of FV, so he wouldn't be in there.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Return to “Japanese Video Games”