Sites that help you keep track of your collection/backlog

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Sites that help you keep track of your collection/backlog

Postby icycalm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 am

I've noticed Shou uses Backloggery [ > ], and he has a big collection, so it's probably a good site. But there seem to be quite a few of them around, and I am wondering which one's the best, so I don't invest too much time inputting my collection in one, only to find out later that there's something much better. So here are the ones I know of so far:

http://backloggery.com/
https://www.playfire.com/
http://rfgeneration.com/
https://www.gamerdna.com/

If you have tried some of them, post your impressions here. Also, let me know if there are more sites of this nature I could check out.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Sites that help you keep track of your collection/backlo

Postby Ganelon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Note that Backloggery, true to its name, is a backlogging site. It also records collections, but its main goal is to help you complete them. There's a lot of extraneous features that are unnecessary if all you're looking to do is list games.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of online sites that could go down anytime and require online access. I just use Notepad to edit a local text file and then upload it online for backup every once in a while. For anybody who needs a line-item inventory for personal use, no matter how many systems or games he/she owns, this solution is perfect.

For those who record more or want to show their collection to others, an Excel spreadsheet uploaded to Google Docs has all the columns and sharing options you'd need.

For those who are more tech-savvy and are looking for even more data normalization, you can create a custom database (or use a template) on simple, user-oriented database management systems such as FileMaker and Access. You can input and view just about anything you could think of relating to game collections on a database and publish it to a personal website.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:11 am

I use a few actually. As Ganelon said, backloggery is more about conquering the backlog monster.

One that I started playing with is called collectedit.com since it has an iOS app but it's lacking a lot of functionality and integration into SNS sites which could make it much more relevant.

None of these sites contains my full collection due to a few factors:
- game/hardware releases are usually tied to the site owner's region (ie Genesis over Mega Drive for the US, sometimes game releases are tied to some kind of retail info database which again is US or EU centric and missing Japanese and Asian releases, one site tells me that I can only digitally own arcade games lol)
- UI issues
- remote accessibility
- import/export functionality

Personally, I have made a custom DB back in the day which powered my old neo-classic site but recently moved to Excel/Google Drive.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 am

I hear you on the region thing. That's what I always hated about UGTZ.... they listed every parameter for a game...except the region. :|

3 cheers for a custom DB.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:49 pm

www.pcedaisakusen.net is really nice and has a complete list for all regions, but of course it's PCE and TG-16 only.

Too bad something like this doesn't exist for ALL consoles. Therefore it's Excel for me.

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm

After dicking around with backloggery for a little while, I've come around to the custom database idea. Is Excel the best one to go for, or could anyone recommend something better in terms of ease of use and versatility? I am using Windows, by the way...

KNTain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KNTain » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm

I prefer Google Drive spreadsheets to Excel. They don't seem hugely different, but with Drive it's real easy to make custom submission forms and I like the whole access-anywhere thing.

I use Backloggery, but it's more for keeping a basic log of what I've been playing than it is for keeping track of my collection or backlog.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 am

icycalm wrote:After dicking around with backloggery for a little while, I've come around to the custom database idea. Is Excel the best one to go for, or could anyone recommend something better in terms of ease of use and versatility? I am using Windows, by the way...

It really depends upon what you're trying to do with the data and technically, what you're familiar with.

My first DB was mySQL flavor which I designed a web UI around but I didn't build any kind of data analytics around it for tracking costs/currencies. I don't think that applies for everyone but I like to keep track of costs, FX rates, dates, etc so I can look at trends in pricing in my own collection. :D I know how to do that fairly easily in Excel so that's what I use at the moment and it's easy to data mine. No site is going to cover what I need, things like arcade PCB monitor orientation, screen inversion etc.
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”