CA Production

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

CA Production

Postby zinger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 pm

http://www.caproduction.co.jp/works.html

I've been playing Hagane for the past days and I'm totally blown away by its quality. It has got to be the best SFC action game! Never cared for Sapphire, but I'm looking forward to trying Bulk Slash (Sega Saturn) by the same developer.

I can't find the source now, but I recently read a comment on a blog that mentioned that a N64 sequel to the original Hagane was planned (and apparently announced, in 1997 IIRC) by Hudson. Seems too specific to be just a rumour, did any screenshots ever surface?

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: CA Production

Postby Pretas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Small review of Bulk Slash I found that went up recently. Very overlooked game. I don't know why I've never seen anyone else acknowledge it as a successor to Hudson's PCE shmups; CA Production even made Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I just cleared Hagane two weeks ago, and absolutely love it. For me it's right up there with Shinobi, Strider, and the gang. The boss designs, and some of the backgrounds are incredible. I also love it's mysterious and dark atmosphere and how it's full of these sudden shifts in pace and visuals (kind of like Strider).

It has a reputation for being ultra-hard, but I find it really well designed and once you're past the trial and error phase and know what you're doing you'll blaze through the game like a real ninja. If you get the timing just right some of the bosses can even be killed in one hit!

I've cleared Sapphire and Bulk Slash before and they are also great. Would very much love to see some info about any Hagane sequel.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Yeah, it's extremely tough the first few tries, but like you said it's not so hard after you learn all the weapons and moves. Otherwise I haven't found a single flaw in Hagane yet. Stage design is perfect, and the quality of the graphics and the music is just insane, with amazing new tile sets and songs for almost every sub-stage.

There's a rumour about CA Production being founded by people from Technosoft, headhunted by Hudson to develop shooting games for them:

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/CAProduction

I can't understand what people see in Sapphire. Even considering the technical feats, I'd say it's mediocre at best. The action is just way too stiff and bulky.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm

What I like about Sapphire is that it's actually challenging compared to a lot of other PCE-exclusive shooters.

Have you played Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden? I'm trying to get a hold of a copy now. It seems to have a lot of the Hagane goodness, but maybe without the challenge.

Also: The link you posted suggests they also made Gate/Winds of Thunder. That would explain a lot of the similarities to TF!

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 pm

I've played their Zenki game a little bit. There are a lot of similarities, but shouldn't be compared with Hagane. It's just way too crude, and the main character looks like an idiot. Probably more interesting than the average license game, but way below my standards.

On the subject of PCE shooters I made it to the final stage of both Star Parodia and Sylphia on my first tries, but loved every moment of them. They felt so fast and lively all the way through! Sapphire has very little of that type of energy, in my opinion, and challenge alone doesn't have much worth.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Sapphire's music is win enough imo. I love the style as well. :) Bulk Slash is good fun as well. I like Hagane, but I just can't be bothered to hook up the SFC very often...
Stronger then your average deadite

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 am

zinger wrote:I've played their Zenki game a little bit. There are a lot of similarities, but shouldn't be compared with Hagane. It's just way too crude, and the main character looks like an idiot. Probably more interesting than the average license game, but way below my standards

Haha, the main character does transform into a serious 'adult' version of himself for most stages ;)

I quite like the Zenki game, very similar to Hagane with the art style and amount of special moves. Its definitely not as good as hagane though, as its way too easy and doesn't have nearly as cool boss and stage design.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am

Hmm seems they were also involved with the original X68000 version of Genocide. It's not mentioned on any websites, but if you boot the game their logo appears right after the Zoom one. However it only appears in the original version. It is not in the Towns/PCE versions.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 pm

A dubious honor if there ever was one. Genocide is a kusoge through and through. No idea why it seems to be fondly remembered by a lot of Japanese retro gaming fans; I'm guessing it has to do with the mecha design.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 am

None of Zoom's games are above B-grade quality imo. But I do enjoy the Towns versions of the Genos. Towns Geno 1 is a big improvement over the original version.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 am

Pretas wrote:A dubious honor if there ever was one. Genocide is a kusoge through and through. No idea why it seems to be fondly remembered by a lot of Japanese retro gaming fans; I'm guessing it has to do with the mecha design.

It was a pretty big deal when released back in 1989 on the x68k because it was exclusive to the system, and one of the first (maybe the first?) original computer game that had arcade level graphics and technical abilities.

But yeah the combat is wack though hahaha. I don't mind the game too much, theres still skill and patterns required for enemies even though you spend most your time bouncing off them lol. Mech/enemy designs and music are obviously the strongest aspects.

Really no reason to play the original though, as SuperDeadite said the Fm Towns remake is upgraded a shitload, though it still shares some problems with the messy combat.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 am

SuperDeadite wrote:None of Zoom's games are above B-grade quality imo. But I do enjoy the Towns versions of the Genos. Towns Geno 1 is a big improvement over the original version.

It's true but I really like some of their games like Zero Divide 2 but nothing is top of the line.
become history

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm

oh man i loved both the zero divide games, i thought the hidden phalanx game on one of them was pretty good too.

i remember the first zero divide was pretty klunky so that you had to play it a bit like a strategy game more than a reactional fighter, planning moves ahead was the key.
the second was more of a standard fighter that way..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

muki
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby muki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:58 am

zinger wrote:There's a rumour about CA Production being founded by people from Technosoft, headhunted by Hudson to develop shooting games for them:
http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/CAProduction

Am hoping to confirm that at some point, hopefully by hooking up with CA themselves.
I think the GoT and Winds/Wings development is confirmed via staff info (from memory, at least).

GDRI
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby GDRI » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 pm

There's no doubt about the Thunder games. I found someone's profile, but the site was deleted after I tweeted it (even though it was linked on 2ch a decade earlier).

As for Genocide, that's "project team Caps." 1989's too early to be CAProduction, and there's nobody from CAProduction in the credits.

muki
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby muki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:05 am

GDRI wrote:As for Genocide, that's "project team Caps." 1989's too early to be CAProduction, and there's nobody from CAProduction in the credits.

Logistically (Zoom is in Hokkaido and CAP in Nagasaki) and timing-wise (Genocide is '89 and GoT is 92) this would be the logical conclusion.
I think CAP are mostly doing Mario Party stuff now; profitable, but hardly leading to another GoT.

GDRI
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby GDRI » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Maybe they should've gotten CAP to do Thunder Force VI...

Return to “Japanese Video Games”