[ARC] [360] [PS3] Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

[ARC] [360] [PS3] Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!

Postby Pretas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:41 am

Picked up the definitive PS3 version of Gulti's Kiki Kaikai-inspired STG recently. I thought the twin stick support in Under Defeat HD was kind of meh, but in a manually scrolling shooter like this it really improves the playability (and you can turn a full 180 degrees). The game came with a DLC code, but I seem to have all the characters unlocked already? Fululu seems pretty much hands down the best character, her rotating options give her plenty of protection, and her narrow spread isn't much of an issue with twin sticks.

It seems you can only play the 16:9 mode in stage select. I need to experiment more, but this would be really lame.

I'm aware the game is rather unpopular among STG players for its excessive milking and supposed low level of challenge. I think the milking feels a lot more satisfying and tangible than in, say, Garegga. The bullet count should definitely have been stepped up, but at least you can try these optional missions where you refight bosses on a much higher difficulty. These are where the danmaku get up to proper Cave levels. In the stages the challenge comes from figuring out when and what to target with your noroi shot, and milking a regenerating swarm without killing the big noroi targets you need to harvest it.

There is also a visual novel story mode that adds some context to the game and each of its stages, pretty rare for the genre. (I think DDP SDOJ will be getting one as well.) I don't understand how they were able to get some great voice talent for it, but had to use VOCALOID for the ending theme.

Not the greatest, but a solid effort. The PS3 version deserved to sell more than <10,000 copies. Interestingly enough, it was published by CyberFront and not G.Rev. I guess they did also publish Gulti's 360 Strike Witches game.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: [ARC] [360] [PS3] Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!

Postby zinger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:35 am

I tried this at Mikado. There was something wrong with the headphone jack so I couldn't hear the soundtrack properly (which I really like). Anyway for some reason I had never realized how bad this game looked until I actually got to play it. I want to try it again but I am really pretty angry with how bad shooters have been looking recently (even Cave's titles look like pachinko games).

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:58 pm

At least the PS3 version has some nice new shaders and dynamic shadows in 16:9 mode.

Some of the stages like the ice one are ugly, but others like the karakuri castle and the haunted town are kind of beautiful in 16:9. As you mentioned, the OST is amazing. It's quite similar to that of Eschatos and uses many of the same samples.

I wish the game had multiplayer, but I guess there's no way you could have two players firing off noroi shots without breaking the difficulty and turning the scoring into a clusterfudge.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:00 am

This game looked awful when it came out. Enough to keep me from even bothering. I can only imagine now.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Return to “Japanese Video Games”