3D arcade style action games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

3D arcade style action games

Postby Macaw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Can anyone recommend names of pure arcade style 3d action games from any system? I'd be interested to know if theres anything I haven't heard of before.

Heres some thoughts on some stuff that comes to mind:

Arcade stuff:

Chaos Heat: Been a fan of this for years and still think its the best in the genre. Cool horror theme and atmosphere, insane enemy designs and some of the best boss battles in any action game period, both due to the fact they are gigantic and look incredible, and the mechanics with the dodging are so satisfying. The first stage is nothing amazing but once you get to stage 2 and onwards you will understand the awesomness. The ps1 quality 3d can look messy at times in the stages, but the boss battles still look stunning, much like G-Darius.

Spikeout series: I was enjoying these like crazy for a few hours recently after finally getting around to trying them in emulation. The grappling mechanics and crowd control was super satisfying, but then I realised its much easier to just stay away from enemies and hit them with max charges, which made the combat totally suck and pretty much ruined the game for me... Anyone think differently?

Slashout: Seems alright and no overpowered charge move like in Spikeout, but fuck I hated the enemy designs and shit so much I couldn't play it anymore. The shit you fight is like its out of an earthworm Jim or Rayman game.

Flame Gunner: I haven't played this in ages but I seem to recall it being somewhat interesting. Need to try it out again.

Zombie Revenge: Kinda alright I guess but also not that enthralling. Haven't put much time in it.
Dynamite Deka series: Fun and hilarious brawlers.
Demolishfist: Seemed dull as fuck last time I tried it.

Console stuff:

PS1 - Lucifer Ring: Very traditional fantasy brawler. I'm yet to play it but may try it soon.
PS1 - Legend: Follow up to the snes game of the same name, both made by French dudes. Pretty bad mechanics, but the general atmosphere and all the crazy elements with the different weapons and stuff make it pretty memorable.
PS1 - Hokuto no Ken: Seiki Matsukyu Seishi Densetsu: Quality brawler based on the famous series. Not really proper arcade style though as it has lots of long cinema scenes for the story progression.

PS2 - Raging Bless/Blades: I remember buying this randomly back when it came out, the game completely came out of nowhere, a 100% arcade style fantasy brawler exclusive to ps2 is pretty bizarre. Its essentially a complete clone of Slashout, but with proper serious fantasy designs. I haven't played it in ages so I cant comment on the quality of the action, but I am totally gonna dig out my PS2 and play this again in the coming days. I wonder if any of the Spikeout/Slashout people worked on it?

Also these are some games I remember playing years ago, some have their share of non arcade elements with story scenes and customization and such:

PS2: OZ
PS2: Dororo
PS2: God Hand
PS2: Samurai Western
PS2: Ikusa Gami
PS2: Urban Reign
PS2: Yoshitsune Eiyuuden
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: 3D arcade style action games

Postby Pretas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:43 am

God Hand is probably the best 3D beatemup out there. It flopped when it was originally released, but is now pretty well known and highly regarded in the West, and was re-released on PSN. There are some cheap exploits that can completely break the difficulty for certain enemies and fights (Drunken Twist cancels should never be used by any self-respecting player), but it's overall an incredibly solid game with satisfying action, totally customizable movesets, very creative and challenging enemies/bosses, a dynamic difficulty ranking system and great dodge mechanics. I think they were lazy with designing Hard mode, though, it just locks you at maximum rank.

There is a very extensive English fansite with guides and strategies. It's sadly offline now, but it's all on Archive.org so far as I can tell.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 am

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but Geograph Seal on the X68K is still awesome.

Also had a lot of fun with Trap Gunner on PS1. Especially in 2 player mode with a partner that actually knows the game already.
Stronger then your average deadite

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:09 am

Sanvein (PS1) and Gun Spike (Naomi / DC).

Also, Expendable (DC), ONE (PS1), Apocalypse (PS1).

I haven't played any of these extensively, so I'm not a 100%.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:37 pm

ONE and Apocalypse sure look similar... Not sure I would bother playing them though after watching vids.

Expendable on DC I never knew about. Looks like Neo Contra.

The PS1 seems to have the most obscure shit, so I scoured the http://mercenaryforce.web.fc2.com/index.html database for games that looked like pure arcade style action (fuck there are a lot of resident evil clones on ps1...)

Heres what I found, I'll try play these soon via emulation, but if anyone has something to say about them go ahead.

Mad Panic Coaster
Lone Soldier
EOS
Zeitgeist
Deep Freeze
Crisis City
Vanark
Gungage

Also I forgot to mention how fuckn awesome Gamera 2000 is. One of the best Star Fox style rail shooters.

Dragon Valor is another one I remember now. Cant remember if this was a pure brawler or if it had excessive story and rpg stuff, will have to give this another try too while I'm going through all the other stuff.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:16 pm

I think a list of arcade style polygon based games would be interesting, excluding versus fighters, shooters, racers and lightgun shooters, so basically all genres, except those that stayed popular after the first half of the 90s.

Personally, I like early 3D a lot, tons more than late 2d (aka low effort pre-render).

Going by that, there's also

Strider 2 (Sony ZN-2)
Kururin Squash (NGC)
Bulk Slash ? (SS)
Space Raiders (NGC)
After Burner Climax (Sega Lindbergh, XBLive)
Spawn (Naomi, DC)
Heavy Metal: Geomatrix (Naomi, DC)
Charge'n'Blast (was this ever released on Naomi?, DC)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Universe (PS1, unreleased)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBox)
Speed Power Gunbike (PS1)
Planet Harriers (Sega Hikaru)
G-Vector (SS)

western developed Lone Soldier might fall in this category, but plays very clumsily.
Gungage has a lot of exploring and not much action.

Rising Zan (PS1) might be another candidate.

I also vaguely remember others from browsing paleface's database

http://www.paleface.net/cgi-bin/gdb/s.p ... &c=go&c=go
Last edited by Imhotep on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Imhotep wrote:I think a list of arcade style polygon based games would be interesting, excluding versus fighters, shooters, racers and lightgun shooters, so basically all genres, except those that stayed popular after the first half of the 90s.

Yeah I forgot to exclude those genre's in my opening post, but looks like everyone understood what I meant by 'action' anyway.

I played some Lucifer Ring. Solid fantasy brawler, though a little dull. I was impressed by the enemy variety.

Crisis beat is another final fight style brawler with polygons made by the same company as Lucifer Ring, and released in the same year.

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:29 pm

You should give Zombie Revenge another try. The game really depends on what hidden rooms you visit if you want to 1cc it, tons of weapons (Robert Rodriquez inspired Guitar Case machinegun & Guitar Case bazooka, old school (pirate style) cannon, mines, gasoline to set fire on a trail of gasoline or pour it on zombies, drill, duel handguns, lasergun, chaingun etc etc) tons of bosses give it a look. Also when you are poisoned you get bigger movelist.

Watch these HK players 1cc it here, making use of the hidden rooms and items effectively (starting at my favourite part, where you get the one off chance to loot a Dday shelter with all the weapons of the game):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8X2W1yZlUc

Hmmm what hasn;t been mentioned yet, Twin Caliber and Street Warrior on Ps2!
But the games are of dodgy quality :P Have a look though :p Chain Dive on Ps2 then?

Will think of some serious entry in the next few days. Does stuff like T.R.A.G./Hard Edge interest you as well? or Chaos Heat Psx sequel Chaos Break? Because you suggested not to be interested in Survival horror but did include Deep Freeze.

Cyber Org for the PSX always looked awesome, but it's a Square Enix game, which makes it dubious for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9s7rpsl5Ik

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 am

Yeah I just looked up Deep Freeze vids and it doesn't really belong, I was tricked in the screenshots by the score counter and the game being broken into stages. Hard Edge and Chaos Break are similarly not arcadey enough.

Will have to check out Zombie Revenge again, looks like it could be pretty cool.

Cyber Org I think has lots of RPG elements and a dungeon crawler structure?

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:26 am

Silent Bomber is another good PS1 game you can add to the list. It's very score-focused, with a multiplier system, and most definitely arcade style.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Fighting Force aka Metal Fist is a European made Dynamite Deka clone by Core Design for Sonys Playstation. It was only average bitt and I have no idea how good it aged - I guess not terribly well - but it fits the bill.
It sold well enough to receive ports for the N64 and PC as well as a sequel for Playstation and Dreamcast.

Other than that there was The Bouncer for the PS2 which for a game by Squaresoft is surprisingly no frills arcade in style.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:40 am

Lots to go through here...but quickly, I would recommend Zombie Revenge as one of the best in the 3D belt scroll genre, should be plenty of vids on it. Crisis Beat is a Dynamite Deka clone, the 3D is a bit crap but decent game. Crisis City is kind of an action shooting game, haven't been played it since it came out, will drag it out tonight and try it out again.

Deep Freeze is more of a Biohazard clone and it is crap. I actually attempted to play through it back in the day and it is sheer frustration encapsulated on a disc. Cybernetic Empire by Wolf Team on PS1 is a 3D action platformer using a sort of bionic commando like wire action with a green beam but the frame rate cannot keep up with its ambitious design and the lack of a targetting system makes boss fights really irritating. Never met anyone else who has played it, much less cleared it.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 am

Played some credits of Zombie Revenge yesterday and it is indeed awesome. Learning curve is steep but once you know all the moves and shit and realise all the secret rooms and stuff to explore its really damn satisfying to try and 1cc.

Anyway I went pretty crazy with torrents and played most of the PS1 arcade style 3d stuff. here is a quick rundown:

Crisis Beat: This is SO GOOD. I literally deleted it after playing it once the first time, thought it was okay but also a bit meh. Later I got it out the recycle bin and played again and realised its awesomness, hahahha. Theme is awesome with the entire game taking place on a cruise ship (I wonder if it was inspired by Big Fight in that regard... even one of the enemy types is taken straight from Big Fight...) and the combo system and movelist with each character is ridiculously satisfying. The fuckn wrestler character of the game (which humorously is a female supermodel) can combo into frankensteiners and giant swings, suplexes can be used for crowd control and enemies can be launched into the air at which point you can jump up and grab them in the air for a special piledriver. Fuckn so satisfying. Graphics are ghetto but strangely charming (much like Lucifer Ring from the same company). Biggest complaint is the easy difficulty can make things a bit boring, but an expert mode is unlockable.

Mad Panic Coaster: Decent fun and crazy game, essentially a survival racing game on a rollercoaster where you can to try stay on the tracks.

Lone Soldier: Shit

EOS: Decent Star Fox style rail shooter. Got a bit dull though, I only saw to stage 2.

Zeitgeist: Early Star Fox style railer shooter from Taito. Pretty ghetto game, but then the first proper boss fight in stage 2 was actually pretty fun to battle against, long battle but its always doing different attacks and shit. Didn't see any further, who knows what the quality is like later on.

Crisis City: This is pretty dodgy in many aspects, but I also found it ridiculously fun one I got used to the controls, crappy camera and insta-death explosions. Once I realized all the boss battles were just duels against the other playable characters though then I couldn't be fucked with the game, proper bosses would have made it such a cool 2d action shooter.

Zeiram Zone: Only played this for like 10 seconds before quitting from how terrible it seemed. If anyone can give me a reason of why the game might actually be decent then do let me know, but from what I saw it was totally fucked.

Played Vanark too. Its an extremely good rail shooter (Way better than EOS and Zeitgeist) but has lots of cinematics and adventure sequences, so not really arcade type shit.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 am

Macaw wrote:Crisis Beat: This is SO GOOD. I literally deleted it after playing it once the first time, thought it was okay but also a bit meh. Later I got it out the recycle bin and played again and realised its awesomness, hahahha. Theme is awesome with the entire game taking place on a cruise ship (I wonder if it was inspired by Big Fight in that regard... even one of the enemy types is taken straight from Big Fight...)

The setting sounds like Dynamite Deka 2 ;)
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:47 am

Heh I forgot Dynamite Deka 2 was also on a ship, and both Crisis Beat and Deka 2 came out in June 1998 hahaha.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 am

I was wrong about Spikeout. The max charge isn't game breaking, it often leaves you open to attack, so it can only be used effectively if your not surrounded, so proper use of all the moves and throws and shit are still required.

Its probably the best 3d beat em up, although the system is more along the lines of a virtua fighter beat em up rather than stuff like Dynamite Deka and Crisis Beat which replicate the Final Fight style.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 am

Macaw wrote:I was wrong about Spikeout. The max charge isn't game breaking, it often leaves you open to attack, so it can only be used effectively if your not surrounded, so proper use of all the moves and throws and shit are still required.

Its probably the best 3d beat em up, although the system is more along the lines of a virtua fighter beat em up rather than stuff like Dynamite Deka and Crisis Beat which replicate the Final Fight style.

Are you playing DBO, Final Edition of Battle Street?
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:57 am

Final edition. Seems like just the original but with the extra opening stage and balance changes?

Spikeout seems like it was ridiculously popular in Japan, I wonder why it never got a port. When I was in Japan in 2009 I was amazed at seeing Spikeout in almost every single arcade I went to.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:32 am

SpikeOut got an Xbox version. I'm not sure if it's actually a port or an original game in the series, though.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 am

Thats Battle Street, a new game in the series.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”