[DS/3DS] Monitor Output

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

[DS/3DS] Monitor Output

Postby Shou » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 am

Looks like I forgot to post this. Recently in Japan, someone has come up with an unofficial way of displaying DS/3DS titles on the big screen via a PC. It has some robust options to rotate and merge the 2 screens and 3D TV support is planned.

become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: [DS/3DS] Monitor Output

Postby layzee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Nice. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Hopefully it's a cheaper option to that other thing that does a similar thing (DS on TV) that I forgot the name of.

Do you have any links for more information/details?
プロジェクトさいさいへい -まるごと埼玉最終兵器- All About S.S.H.
~Project SaiSaiHei - The Saitama Saisyu Heiki Fan Site~

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 am

layzee wrote:Nice. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Hopefully it's a cheaper option to that other thing that does a similar thing (DS on TV) that I forgot the name of.

Do you have any links for more information/details?

It's been out for awhile here now and is called Fake (Nise) Nitro Capture as a parody of the official kits from Intelligent Systems used for dev and PR.

The company takes in your unit and mods it or you can buy an already modded unit from them. All models from the original DS to 3DS LL can be modded but it's quite pricy at 20,000 for just the mod. I'd recommend modding the 3DS LL since the mod can be contained in the larger shell without adding an extra panel like is required on the original 3DS which prevents the slide pad from easily being used.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Shou wrote:It's been out for awhile here now and is called Fake (Nise) Nitro Capture as a parody of the official kits from Intelligent Systems used for dev and PR.

The company takes in your unit and mods it or you can buy an already modded unit from them. All models from the original DS to 3DS LL can be modded but it's quite pricy at 20,000 for just the mod. I'd recommend modding the 3DS LL since the mod can be contained in the larger shell without adding an extra panel like is required on the original 3DS which prevents the slide pad from easily being used.

Ah yes, Nitro, that's what I was thinking of. Good to see they're taking inspiration/copying/ripping off from it. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

The 20,000 yen service charge isn't too bad - I used to spend about as much (well, $100 to $150) to get modchips installed into PS2s. And certainly cheaper than the several thousand dollars for the official IS Nitro Capture. Besides, I think the benefit (playing DS games on TV) is good enough to be worth the premium. Sorry, but I just cannot fully enjoy a game on a small screen with small speakers.

Speaking of region-free, since the Nintendo 3DS isn't, I might as well kill two birds with one stone by buying a pre-modded Japanese region 3DS directly from them. Anyone else on this forum interested?

For research/information purposes, here is the relevant search term: 偽トロキャプチャ (Nisetro Capture).

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 am

layzee wrote:
Shou wrote:It's been out for awhile here now and is called Fake (Nise) Nitro Capture as a parody of the official kits from Intelligent Systems used for dev and PR.

Ah yes, Nitro, that's what I was thinking of. Good to see they're taking inspiration/copying/ripping off from it. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

The 20,000 yen service charge isn't too bad - I used to spend about as much (well, $100 to $150) to get modchips installed into PS2s. And certainly cheaper than the several thousand dollars for the official IS Nitro Capture. Besides, I think the benefit (playing DS games on TV) is good enough to be worth the premium. Sorry, but I just cannot fully enjoy a game on a small screen with small speakers.

Speaking of region-free, since the Nintendo 3DS isn't, I might as well kill two birds with one stone by buying a pre-modded Japanese region 3DS directly from them. Anyone else on this forum interested?

For research/information purposes, here is the relevant search term: 偽トロキャプチャ (Nisetro Capture).

Yah, I agree with you. Much rather play these on the big screen. I'm thinking of selling my old modded 3DS unit and upgrading to the LL by buying one of their units. The only caveat is that using your PC's line in for audio results in some noise in my version so you'll want to directly hook up to your audio setup if possible. I heard he has since fixed this issue but haven't had a chance to look into it.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 pm

No one else interested? In that case...

Shou wrote:I'm thinking of selling my old modded 3DS unit and upgrading to the LL by buying one of their units. The only caveat is that using your PC's line in for audio results in some noise in my version so you'll want to directly hook up to your audio setup if possible. I heard he has since fixed this issue but haven't had a chance to look into it.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to sell the modded 3DS you have now, how much would you like for it? Maybe I can help fund your upgrade (to the 3DS LL). I missed your PSP dock thing (Wildfire or something) but now I got advance notice of this, so yay. I'm assuming the 3DS is the Japanese region version.

The audio issue might be a concern (I have a standard 5.1 computer speakers connected to my TV, does that help?) but we'll worry about that if or when you make the decision to sell it.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 am

Off topic, but I recently messed around a bit more with DS emulators and rotating my monitor and have pulled of a decent enough setup.

So anyone else with me on thinking that Contra 4 is the best in the series? The use of the vertical screen is amazing, especially with the boss battles like the stage 2 boss which is jaw dropping when playing the game on a tate'd monitor, along with plenty of other moments.

The only problem I have is the fact its a fuckn DS game. What is absolutely amazing on a vertical monitor is just 'pretty cool' on the little screens, it just kinda sucks that you have to use a emulator and rotated monitor to get the full experience from the game, yet ultimately people still would have mostly played it on a shitty little DS.

The controls are also pretty important for the game because of the sky high difficulty, playing on a DS is a nightmare in that regard. I can understand why the game got so much flak for difficulty when it was released when its a tonne harder than arcade Super Contra but everyones stuck playing it on the little DS screens and the crap controls.

Theres also the issue of the huge dead zone between the screens. In an emulator you can simulate the gap between screens which is cool, but playing with the screens connected like in shou's screenshot would be practically impossible.

So basically an Arcade port of the game for tate monitors would have been the greatest thing ever, but still doing a tate emulator setup is freaking amazing. I really hope wayforward provide some kind of console re-release of the game in the future with tate available and no dead zone.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Macaw wrote:So anyone else with me on thinking that Contra 4 is the best in the series?

Absolutely not. It doesn't hold a candle to the Famicom ports, Hard Corps, Shin Contra or Neo Contra. It's not even that difficult if you don't rush through the stages, and the boss designs are seriously lacking. At best, it's an above-average doujin game that managed to get the license.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 am

Macaw wrote:Theres also the issue of the huge dead zone between the screens. In an emulator you can simulate the gap between screens which is cool, but playing with the screens connected like in shou's screenshot would be practically impossible.

Simulation of the gap is one of the features I requested to these guys as it does make playing certain games like this very difficult.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:03 am

Pretas wrote:
Macaw wrote:So anyone else with me on thinking that Contra 4 is the best in the series?

Absolutely not. It doesn't hold a candle to the Famicom ports, Hard Corps, Shin Contra or Neo Contra. It's not even that difficult if you don't rush through the stages, and the boss designs are seriously lacking. At best, it's an above-average doujin game that managed to get the license.

Those reviews are absolute trash by people absolutely obsessed with the fact that game isn't Japanese developed and therefore must suck and probably know fuck all about Contra.

The game is harder than all other contra games period, anyone that thinks otherwise has not tried to 1cc it and doesn't know what their talking about.

The bosses are cooler than in any of the Japanese titles, the wall in stage 1, demon in stage 2, and endless insanity in stage 4 are incredible. The fact you say this game doesn't hold a candle to the 8 bit nes ports and those ps2 fares is ludicrous. The only game that comes close is Hard Corps.

And when it comes to exciting level design stuff like stage 4 once again blows away the Japanese titles. Nothing is crazier and more exhilarating than that.

People who give the game shit need to get further than just the stage 1 jungle, and preferably play the game in an emulator with proper controls and screen size and shit.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 am

Hey guys lets compare:

Alien wall in nes contra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUXfQpbYG58

Alien wall in Contra 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBwQeUM2OM

I better go play the nes game instead, its obviously superior! hahahahahah

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Macaw wrote:Those reviews are absolute trash

lol, says the guy who puts off playing absolute masterpieces of the genre like Goku Makaimura and Hard Corps: Uprising in order to spend months and years of his life plowing through bottom-of-the-barrel Famicom and PC-98 dreck while making gigantic threads in which he explains how omg awesome it all is in one sentence. If I were you I'd stick with the one-liners and the exclamation marks, Mikey -- criticism is for people with an actual brain.

And since you now deem that the reviews on my site which I and the other contributors have worked so hard to create are "absolute trash", I am sure you wouldn't mind if I took back that free lifetime subscription you were so thankful to have received from me a couple of months back and gave it to someone who can appreciate it. It will save you more time to spend plowing through entire romsets 20 minutes at a time and pretending you understand anything about the actual games.

And with that I am done with this dickweed. And if anyone here is interested to follow up on where this started, click here and happy reading: http://culture.vg/images/misc/peabrained-macaw.png

In short, there's only one thing that's "absolute trash" here, and that's Macaw's understanding of videogames.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 pm

I'll be shocked if I like anything better than the original two arcade ports. Not sure what wormhole I slipped through where Hard Corps: Uprising is a masterpiece. A valiant effort, but it has it's issues.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 am

Well, GP prefers the arcade ports above everything else, Macaw 4, and I Uprising. All we need is a couple of people to come in and champion Spirits, the original Hard Corps and Shin, and we'll have the entire spectrum covered. And if later on someone showed up and defended Superman 64, that would cinch the deal. Then we can all go to the Shmups forum holding hands and pretend that everything's equal, there's no evolution, different strokes are for different fags, and criticism impossible. Which brings me back to why I stopped posting on sites outside my own lol.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 am

icycalm wrote: Which brings me back to why I stopped posting on sites outside my own lol.
become history

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 am

As a fag who is indifferent to the Contra series, I'll nevertheless happily fly the flag for both Shin and Neo Contra.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 am

icycalm wrote:we'll have the entire spectrum

I agree, the entire (128K) Spetrum version is definitely the best.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re:

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:56 am

icycalm wrote:lol, says the guy who puts off playing absolute masterpieces of the genre like Goku Makaimura and Hard Corps: Uprising in order to spend months and years of his life plowing through bottom-of-the-barrel Famicom and PC-98 dreck while making gigantic threads in which he explains how omg awesome it all is in one sentence. If I were you I'd stick with the one-liners and the exclamation marks, Mikey -- criticism is for people with an actual brain.

I have played through Goku Makaimura and Uprising. You get too hung up on thinking people haven't played through games you deem masterpieces.

icycalm wrote:And since you now deem that the reviews on my site which I and the other contributors have worked so hard to create are "absolute trash", I am sure you wouldn't mind if I took back that free lifetime subscription you were so thankful to have received from me a couple of months back and gave it to someone who can appreciate it. It will save you more time to spend plowing through entire romsets 20 minutes at a time and pretending you understand anything about the actual games.

I pretty much guarantee you would say the same thing about the review if you play Contra 4. it outright says its not as hard as the other contra games yet Contra 4 is by far the hardest in the series, even harder than the arcade titles, therefore the review is trash because its written by people that have no clue.

icycalm wrote:And with that I am done with this dickweed. And if anyone here is interested to follow up on where this started, click here and happy reading: http://culture.vg/images/misc/peabrained-macaw.png

Dude no one is going to agree with you that Age of Empires and Supreme Commander are more satisfying city building experiences than actual city building games hahahaha. It also just degenerates into your usual paranoia about thinking no one has played those two games, despite the fact I was spending a good chunk of the thread trying to tell you about other games, which you have never played because your so obsessed with Age of Empires.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:53 am

Heres a highlight for people who cant be bothered reading the whole Insomnia page:

"Listen here, kiddo. I am 15 years older than you. I was playing Pong before your father had even learned to masturbate. I had 3 university degrees at 21, and I am the number 1 art critic, art theorist, and philosopher in the world. And I am telling you you are full of shit and understand nothing. Speedrushing through a romset does not make you an expert. It makes you an idiot who spends all his time speedrushing through romsets."

This is in response to Icycalm once again thinking I hadn't properly played Age of Empires and Supreme Commander, and also because I think Starcraft is good, because according to Icycalm Starcraft is a 'simple, popular RTS that no real RTS player actually cares about'. Icycalm also stated in the forum in a 2012 post that he hadn't even played an RTS since 2004.

So guys if you want to be the absolute master historian and critic on RTS games just play Age of Empires 1 and 2 and Supreme Commander and ignore everything else, especially Starcraft.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 am

Don't know about you guys, but I can't get enough of these #1 and Day 1 people.

Clearly, I am superior to all in my gaming endeavors. There is no one who would know more than me in any gaming subject or even in life itself. ;)
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 pm

It's the only reason I still run a forum.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Contra 4 doesn't suck, but it's incredibly mediocre. It's was basically only made to cater to the Contra III nostalgia crowd and leaves out all the improvements in controls, variation and pacing that came after III — by which I mean Hard Corps (the best Contra) and to a lesser extent SS — for no good reason at all.

The graphics are pretty nice though.

Shou wrote:Clearly, I am superior to all in my gaming endeavors. There is no one who would know more than me in any gaming subject or even in life itself. ;)

I don't know about the life part, but in terms of gaming you might not even be lying. ;)

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:53 pm

I still wonder if you have actually seen past the first couple of stages. Anyone that thinks the game doesn't have as cool stage designs and bosses as most of the other entries just watch this video the whole way through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsJ5wHykLc

If you think Hard Corps is the best in the series thats fine, cause that shit kicks ass and doesn't have the problem of being a DS game that requires a big rotated monitor emulation setup to get the most out of it, not to mention the fuckn unavoidable but annoying dead zone. Theres also no doubt its the craziest of the series with the most focused and variety filled stages, and the cool fleshed out cyberpunk theme rather than just Rambo+Aliens of the other games.

Contra 4 I would easily say is better than the other games though, as long as you aren't playing it on a DS. The stage I linked above is more satisfying and exciting than any stage from Spirits and the first 2 games, so all I can really say is that I urge people to actually play Contra 4 in an emulator before saying it sucks balls. I wish I could suddenly go into a dimension where the game was Japanese developed to see how many of the die hards in forums like this would suddenly think its awesome cause they actually played it, lol.

Anyway I guess I should take this thread hijack in a different direction. Who else thinks Contra Force is awesome? ; )

icycalm

Postby icycalm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 pm

You just have to love Macaw. Despite all the personal insults I've poured onto him since the city-building thread, he hasn't made the slightest move to reply in kind, but keeps posting perfectly civilly about games as if they are the only thing that matters. What difference does it make if he keeps misconstruing my arguments and ignoring history, science, philosophy and even common sense? Theory is no more for him than it is for any other person posting here besides me. It's just extremely difficult for me to keep discussing games for any extended length of time without the conversation getting naturally steered on to theory. And it is at that point that I lose everyone except a handful of people, like Josh, zinger, et. al, who anyway, even though they can follow, do not have that much to contribute (and naturally enough, since they lack both the experience and the education that would be required to do so).

Anyway, I love this site and this forum, and everyone who posts here -- every visit is always a delight. I just generally refrain from posting for the reason explained -- because no one here is interested in theory, and the slightest attempt to discuss it gets people worked up, as in every other forum. So I'll stop disturbing your delightfully tranquil waters and go back to simply reading. And if Macaw wants to come by my site he is always welcome to do so, and I'll just have to exercise some self-restraint and refrain from discussing theory with him whenever the conversation appears to be leading that way.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 am

icycalm wrote:You just have to love Macaw. Despite all the personal insults I've poured onto him since the city-building thread, he hasn't made the slightest move to reply in kind, but keeps posting perfectly civilly about games as if they are the only thing that matters.

Not his style. The closest thing to it I've seen is undamned's approach to JAPJAC's day one CPS Changer write up which paradoxically borrowed from ud's. It was the closest you'll see ud telling someone to fuck off... which is amazingly cordial and polite. Simply, not his style.

because no one here is interested in theory, and the slightest attempt to discuss it gets people worked up, as in every other forum.

This is a joke, right? Please point me to exact posts where people are "worked up"... especially as worked up as you'd see in "any other forum". Just b/c people don't scrutinize over opinions doesn't make them any less knowledgeable. I'd love to have time to waste to debate the many iterations of Contra. I don't even have time to play one of them, I'm afraid. I imagine it's only going to get worse as the average age of the gamer grows.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”