PlayStation 4

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

PlayStation 4

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:54 am

Watched the launch event this morning and had some comments on it....

Plus
- Liked the potential for having every PS4 game playable on Vita (like the Wii U concept but can be done as a true portable and not bounded by the console)
- Smart use of Gaikai cloud streaming to give immediate access to downloads and legacy titles
- Much more streamlined OS than the current POS

Neutral
- Some kind of exclusivity window with Blizzard for console Diablo III on PS3/PS4
- Capcom's deep down just looks like a Dragon's Dogma sequel combined with Dark Souls at the moment, not sure how this constitutes a new IP but early days

Minus
- No announcements from Konami or Sega (seems to be following both companies digital/social plans so not surprised), also nothing from EA which is very odd
- Not really a PS4 hardware issue but is there really good enough network infrastructure in places like the UK and US to support streaming of new games/content to make them playable?
- Very little actual game titles shown, a 2013 launch seems way too early at this point if there aren't many titles shown, not sure how much will actually be shown at E3 and planned to be sold in Q4
- Watch_Dogs, interesting concept but gameplay looks dull so far (Assassin's Creed taken to the modern age with more repetitive and silly side missions)
- Square just showed an old engine demo and announced an FF title (unexciting)
- Killzone Shadowlands while early, showed noticable texture limitations on the ground (have a look at the petal draw distance)
Last edited by Shou on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: PlayStation 4

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 am

I only saw a tiny bit of the stream, with Capcom showing deep down, Square showing their same 1 year old demo, and then about 5 minutes of the watchdogs stuff.

Deep down looked cool because I always get a kick out of the Japanese doing Western style fantasy stuff, and with a main character thats the complete opposite of a dandy to boot! I guess Capcom have always been heading in that direction ever since Shadow of Rome and Dead Rising though. Indeed it seems pretty much like a Dragons Dogma sequel atm, I hope it turns out to be more of a serious action game rather than an open world RPG fare.

I still laugh at how almost every presenter tries to constantly convince the audience of how much 'new gameplay possibilities and depth' is possible in games with the next generation hardware lol. There is no fucking difference since any 3d game hardware apart from more powerful specs which is what can make the games more exciting with the visuals, wish more companies would have the balls to say that apart from probably Epic and id haha.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 am

Well, my 3 year old PC already outperforms the machine from what specs and demos have been shown so far, not much devs can really say except that now they can run their games natively at 1080p.

The Gaikai pieces, interfaces and Vita portability are all piecs of functionality they should focus more on as those are the things you won't get anywhere else. If I could play my full PS4 library on the go on my Vita, that's a big sell to me.
become history

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 am

The PS4 library on the Vita is a beautiful idea. Just beautiful.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 am

I wonder if it will last as long as PS2 BC did on the PS3.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I wonder if it will last as long as PS2 BC did on the PS3.

They must've updated the dev kit middleware to easily support this. It'll give the Vita a much needed shot in the arm if come Xmas, it suddenly has a bunch of new games and a lower price tag.

Otherwise, the Vita is just dead.
become history

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 am

i find it pretty funny how..

"previously videogames have been something you enjoyed in your living room, then turned off and went on with your life"

..has become something negative? O_o

I sure as shit dont want some stupid console to haunt me 24/7 integrated into every aspect of my life..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 am

Shou wrote:Otherwise, the Vita is just dead.

I bet there's an awful lot of writers out there waiting with baited breath to be first to use that headline.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:43 pm

I will give them kudos if they pull off the Vita thing. While I'd much rather play something on the Vita or 3DS, I don't want to carry it around when I have my phone with me. I'm sure just about everyone else feels this way, which sucks for Nintendo & Sony. I do, see a lot of 3DS units on the trains though.

I'm with Sven on the 24/7 integration. I want to go outside and enjoy life. Games already take up too much time as it is, which is why I rarely get to enjoy them. So, again, it will come down to the line up, and something tells me the launch line up will suck.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I will give them kudos if they pull off the Vita thing. While I'd much rather play something on the Vita or 3DS, I don't want to carry it around when I have my phone with me. I'm sure just about everyone else feels this way, which sucks for Nintendo & Sony. I do, see a lot of 3DS units on the trains though.

I'm with Sven on the 24/7 integration. I want to go outside and enjoy life. Games already take up too much time as it is, which is why I rarely get to enjoy them. So, again, it will come down to the line up, and something tells me the launch line up will suck.

3DS has performed much better as of late. My wife carries an LL with her everywhere to play Fantasy Life. Animal Forest (Crossing) has sold almost 3 million units alone, Fantasy Life only about 10% of that but both were sold out in stores for the longest time. Always see tons of 3DS units out and about now. Vitas not so much...

I only carry one of them while I am travelling internationally where I can get in a few hours of play time. Plus, with these monitor mods for both units, now I am even more inclined to play them at home.

I'd have to say that if I could get in practice time in my choice of fighter/arcade title on the go then I'd probably use it quite a bit while waiting for people etc.
become history

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 am

I didn't glean much from the whole announcement except, "here, more of the same crap, with better graphics." The remote play stuff seems like bells & whistles, and the attempts to save both Vita and Move seemed both desperate and absolutely required. The social networking aspect can get stuffed imo - you spend X amount of hours playing a game, then you're supposed to spend X amount of hours waffling and sharing experiences with the game with all your pseudo friends. That's just a horrible waste of productive time for anyone not in high school.

Can someone explain, just so I'm clear: the remote streaming from PS4 to Vita, that's within the confines of your abode, right? You can't remote link to Vita, switch off the PS4 and then take the game on the train - that's impossible isn't it?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 am

skykid wrote:Can someone explain, just so I'm clear: the remote streaming from PS4 to Vita, that's within the confines of your abode, right? You can't remote link to Vita, switch off the PS4 and then take the game on the train - that's impossible isn't it?

Not a lot of clarity as to how it will work for PS4. If it's just Remote Plas as-is then it's just the Wii U which is OK but not great.
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”