[PS3/PSV] Dragon's Crown

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

[PS3/PSV] Dragon's Crown

Postby Macaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 am

So its been like 2 years since it was first announced, then it disappeared, then Atlus took over from Ignition in producing it, and now finally some more shit has been revealed.

New vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44wra_jQzE

And some new screens such as this:

The most ass shattering thing about the screenshots which probably only the arcade enthusiast folk will notice is that the game has fucking lives and a score counter!

Obviously I'm sure it will still be a long game with saving/loading and character development, but the fact that there is a lives counter and score gauge shows that there will actually be an arcade-like aspect in regards to the game requiring technique to clear and being replayable for higher scores.

I just wonder how the 'high scores' will be designed. Maybe the score will be independent to each mission/quest which will dictate clear ranks and allow for replayablity that way, or maybe the score is consistent for the entire game and you just get ranked at the end?

My main thing is still just hoping that each quest is a kind of self contained arcade style action stage (even if they take an hour or so to clear) rather than the world being a big metroidvania style thing with you having to visit specific areas and backtrack to complete quests.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: [PS3/PSV] Dragon's Crown

Postby Pretas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm

People who played the convention demo said it felt a lot like Odin Sphere with multi-plane movement, but I'm not seeing that at all in the trailer. Which is a very good thing, because Odin Sphere was a horribly sloppy and sluggish action game that had the nerve to punish you for doing combos. Not to mention the insane slowdown during boss fights (though I believe they fixed this in the PAL version).

Hopefully this will be a worthy successor to Capcom's D&D games. Vanillaware founder George Kamitani worked on both of them, although I'm not sure what nickname he went by then. The presence of score and lives is reassuring. This started development as a Dreamcast game, by the way.
Hohe Türme ragen senkrecht und dicht gedrängt gen Himmel
Stahl, Qualm und rauchende Schornsteine
Eine Zukunftgesellschaft im Zerfall
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 am

I'm going to stick my neck out and say, sadly, I'm confident the game will have a backtracking nature. All of VW's stuff relies heavily on game structures that recycle backgrounds because they're just so laboured over in terms of beauty and detail that there are limits on how much they can create graphically. If any of their previous games used each backdrop only once, they would be over in about 30 glorious minutes, which would be heaven for arcade gamers like us, but commercial suicide for Vanillaware.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 am

But the score counter means it shouldn't be possible to grind parts of an 'open world' forever. If backtracking is involved, it will probably be due to the score being independent to each 'quest' your on, and some quests may lead you to previous areas. If each quest is still its own thing like that, ranked with your score and with unique bosses, then thats probably the best way to pull off an arcade style belt scroll game in a modern Diablo framework.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

skykid
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby skykid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Macaw wrote:But the score counter means it shouldn't be possible to grind parts of an 'open world' forever. If backtracking is involved, it will probably be due to the score being independent to each 'quest' your on, and some quests may lead you to previous areas. If each quest is still its own thing like that, ranked with your score and with unique bosses, then thats probably the best way to pull off an arcade style belt scroll game in a modern Diablo framework.

Good observation. I think you're right, unless the score is just for show and not being taken seriously (Hard Corps: Uprising style). There's probably going to be a lot of colour re-tweaking and weather effects and some kind of scenario where you can attempt to defeat all enemies (including ones that could dangerous enough to spell a game over) or only what's necessary to proceed/level-up somehow.

Muramasa is a bit like that. Doing the kumite challenges is rock hard, and not a requirement to finish the game - but necessary to get a complete sword set.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:45 pm

skykid wrote:If any of their previous games used each backdrop only once, they would be over in about 30 glorious minutes, which would be heaven for arcade gamers like us, but commercial suicide for Vanillaware.

Grim Grimoire only used one backdrop for the entire game. It still wasn't 30 minutes, though.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm

New Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wMKiimtmaI

New website is also up. Release for Japan is the 25th of July.

This is probably the most I'm ever gonna be excited for new release game haha. When I was a kid I obsessed over screenshots of King of Dragons in magazines, now I'm getting deja vu. Even when Odin Sphere was first announced I was only marginally excited compared to this.

The artistic integrity Kamitani maintains with this company has got to be admired. He barely cares if the game will even be a commercial success, he just wants to make shit like this real.

Game has no bullshit, no retarded vocal song during the trailer, fully serious Western style heroic fantasy art (more so than even the recent Elminage games from Japan) and 10/10 bosses in terms of visual impact. Watch till the end of the trailer for what appears to be an nod to the 'Fiend' from Shadows over Mystara which was rumored to be the true final boss but ultimately cut from the game, only appearing in the ending.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:39 pm

Artbook is also being released alongside the game, and appears to include art from Bengus, the Capcom designer known for his extensive work on Alien Vs Predator among others.

Now I have about 4 months to actually buy a PS3 lol.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 am

Slightly off-topic, but how did Grand Knights History fare? One of my local used game shops always has a ton of copies for less than 500 yen each, which is a price that makes me a little suspicious of the game's quality. Since Vanillaware dropped the ball on the English release (in order to devote more time to Dragon's Crown), I'm tempted to pick one up but not if it was total poop.
You also distaste me with passion!

Pretas
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pretas » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:28 pm

GKH is heavily dependent on its online PvP component, and I don't imagine there are too many people playing anymore. The single-player content is mainly intended as a way for you to train your party for multiplayer, so it's not very fulfilling. The story is given relatively little attention, and there's no real ending.

Aside from the campaign map structure, it's a pretty typical, simplistic turn-based JRPG. You could probably call it "Final Fantasy Tactics without the tactics."

As for the sales, I did hear that it ended up heavily discounted in bargain bins pretty fast. It did get a PSP The Best rerelease, but I don't know if that actually means it sold well, or if they were just on Sony's good graces.
Angeborene Lichtphobie
Vögel in der Finsternis

muki
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby muki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Macaw wrote:New Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wMKiimtmaI

New website is also up. Release for Japan is the 25th of July.

This is probably the most I'm ever gonna be excited for new release game haha.

Agreed, this is looking rather good indeed.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 pm

I might actually buy this too!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

Holy shit I only just now read up on this whole Dragons Crown controversy that started recently because some idiot journalist on Kotaku wrote an article criticizing the character design of the Sorceress in the game saying its something a 14 year old would design.

This fuckn idiot has to realise that all the design of the game fits together. The sexy sorceress is a staple of fantasy shit, and the other playable characters are along the same mentality, like the subdued elf, the Conan-esque fighter etc. What kind of idiot is actually offended enough by the huge tits on the sorcerer in a game with this freakin setting and an artstyle that similarly exaggerates everything else...

Freakin morons like this think they are white knights looking out for women and fighting against the 'sexist mentality of video game designers'. Women couldn't care less about something like this, especially considering the design of everything else in the game, and the original Japanese designers mentality is nothing more complicated than 'create a fantasy world that looks cool'.

Wonder how idiots like this would react the works that inspired a lot of this style of fantasy art which emphasise the best physical aspects of each sex, Boris Vallejo for example. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=boris+vallejo&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=4pZ_UdH7NqaaiAf6zYCoDQ&biw=1760&bih=856&sei=5JZ_Ue2xH8vNlAWcjoGIBQ

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am

So what did the contraversy actually result in... and why are people still reading Kotaku?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu May 02, 2013 1:41 am

The joke is that these people who cry about the "objectification" of young, curvaceous, and fit women really just want women objectified in a different way, a more decadent, inverted, and pandering way. The plain, pudgy women and their plain, pudgy white knights for some desperate reason must see their plainness and pudginess reflecting back at them through the culture. Meanwhile I am more than happy to play games, read comics, and watch movies with alpha-men and -women. I suppose instead of being inspired to lift weights or go to the boxing gym I could indulge my perceived inadequacies by sitting on my ass and writing an article on why Abe Vigoda should've been cast as Thor in the new film, but that seems unhealthy and boring to me.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu May 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:So what did the contraversy actually result in... and why are people still reading Kotaku?

At one point the director of the game George Kamitani responded on twitter to the guy with this: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ljynk ... iginal.png

Of course then people took it as a homosexual slur against the kotaku guy lol. Yet another case of idiots looking too far into shit, it obviously was nothing more than Kamitani thinking it would be funny to just post a pic of 3 shirtless huge dudes in response to the issue.

Later Kamitani then sent a letter to Kotaku saying he didn't mean any offense etc etc. Obviously just marketing to help cool down the situation to stop any kind of stigma with the game being created in the West.

Dumbest shit ever.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 02, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm buying the game based on that tweet alone. That's classic, and definitely not a very J-like move. I love Japan, but the lack of sarcasm here (and in the language) is limiting. Thumbs up to that guy. ;)

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri May 03, 2013 6:04 am

Well some woman who is an artist for Gearbox has officially beaten out the kotaku guy as the biggest fuckn moron in this story. She said this in a forum:

Also, this is the first time I've seen that character and holy shit, ahahahahahaha. That's actually something that made its way into a basically finished video game, fucking lol! Some juvenile delinquent kid in my 5th grade class used to draw girls that looked like that (only without the creepy blank, featureless samefaces and wizard hats), and I think he was actually better at it. I also think he's in jail now. This is amazing.

The only male character on there I hate is the sorcerer or whatever, because I personally can't stand that long white-haired emo dude look that is in like every anime-styled game ever. But it's not even the boobs and ass itself that creeps me out with this kind of stuff, it's those awkward painful-looking sexy poses combined with identical faces that are completely devoid of features, expression, or personality. It's super creepy and makes it pretty clear that the focus is meant to be their sexual features and not the characters themselves, and to me that's an artistic cop-out and boring.

As a reference, this is some of her art... http://shaylynhamm.com/118242/1165171/a ... ource-mods

Now she's a somewhat competent artist, but that is some of the dumbest and ugliest character designs I have ever seen in my life, and her main problem with dragons crown is "awkward painful-looking sexy poses combined with identical faces that are completely devoid of features, expression, or personality"

Your character faces are some of the most laughably dumbest pieces of shit I have ever seen in my life you idiot, and the fact you literally cant find anything appealing in dragons crown compared to the shit you create shows how fuckn useless you are.

If you got 100 people in a room you would be hard pressed to get a more than a handful of people that think her useless piece of shit art style looks better than the stuff in Dragons Crown.

I'm just happy now Dragons Crown has become a 'thing' in the west and isn't just some obscure 2d action game now. Wouldn't be surprised if all this shit has caused potential western sales of the game to have been practically doubled or more.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon May 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Macaw wrote:What kind of idiot is actually offended enough by the huge tits on the sorcerer in a game with this freakin setting and an artstyle that similarly exaggerates everything else...

Americans.

Their entire bullshit attitude towards sexuality in videogames is grounded in an unholy alliance between fundamentalist Christian demagogues and feminist PC bullies.

I remember when Ibara came out there was actually a discussion on Shmups where a couple of nincompoops (all from the USA of course) said they weren't gonna buy the game because all the sexy chicks would make them think bad thoughts and destroy their marriages.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 pm

At least one game designer saw quality in Dragon's Crown's visuals (via Postback):

http://art-eater.com/2013/03/from-micke ... c-homages/

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Freakin amazing someone actually did an article about all the game art not related to the fuckn tits haha. Back when I first watched that trailer I was amazed at practically every scene.

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Thu May 23, 2013 12:18 pm

So whose picking up this retail Limited Edition?
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/22/du ... on-bundle/

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu May 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Different game?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:52 am

First proper non trailer game vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2i0jrlIOP0

Also its amazing how much the game references both 80's PC RPG's along with the Capcom arcade fantasy action games, heres some stuff:

- Post mission leveling up and loot managing is directly inspired by Sorcerian, complete with deciding if you want to appraise found items or just sell them.

- In the above video the Atlus guy mentions the first quest in the game is recovering the royal scepter. The famous first quest from Sorcerian is "The Kings Lost Scepter".

- The name of the country the game is set in is 'Hydeland', an obvious reference to Hydlide, which despite having a stigma in the west for the shitty nes game, was one of the most famous series in Japan and gave birth to the japanese ARPG, which then led to stuff like Zelda and Ys being made. Also Hydlide 3 is a legitimately awesome game.

- Tonnes of the enemies are directly inspired from either King Of Dragons or the arcade D&D games. The lizardmen are pretty much identical in design to the troglodytes from D&D. The spiders are identical to the Giant Spiders boss from King of Dragons right down to the way they come down from the ceiling and grab the players. One of the trailers briefly shows a mage boss that looks exactly like the evil wizard you fight near the end of King of Dragons. One of the bosses that shows frequently in the trailers looks exactly like the "Dark Warrior" bosses from Shadow over Mystara. The scorpions are exactly like how they are in both D&D games, etc etc. Theres plenty of others.

- Also worth noting that the scene from Aladdin were they escape from the lava on the magic carpet is directly referenced in the game too, which can be seen in the e3 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmq2dNzOG4

Also its crazy just HOW much the game retains an arcade style, even more so than I previously would have expected. While the town serves its purpose the same way as in Diablo (Or in this case like Sorcerian or Wizardry I guess) the action stages are truly no nonsense linear missions, with the occasional hidden rooms in the background that are exactly like the arcade D&D counterparts.

There are 9 'stages' in the game, which obviously will be replayed multiple times with different 'quests' that lead to different bosses.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”