[PS3/PSV] Dragon's Crown

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

muki
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: [PS3/PSV] Dragon's Crown

Postby muki » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:58 am

Played this briefly at E3; very impressed by the quality and obvious time that has gone into the graphics. I'd say if you liked the Capcom D&D games, you're in for a treat.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:12 am

My only worry is that it might get drawn out... Their games seem to have gotten better in this aspect over time. Oboromuramasa wasn't as bad as Odin Sphere. There was a decent level of repetition though. I don't think I ever got the good ending either.

At any rate, preordered.. 7/25 release. My first full price game in a very, very long time.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Only nine 'stages' was a bit of a surprise to me, a good surprise. I was imagining the game would be super epic with a billion locations, many of them reusing art. Nine stages means that its focused with each stage being completely visually unique.

I reckon that completing the game by only doing the main quests leading to the final boss will be under 10 hours.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:20 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:My only worry is that it might get drawn out... Their games seem to have gotten better in this aspect over time. Oboromuramasa wasn't as bad as Odin Sphere. There was a decent level of repetition though. I don't think I ever got the good ending either.

At any rate, preordered.. 7/25 release. My first full price game in a very, very long time.

I actually preordered the Famitsu DX pack. This is one of the very few devs where I buy the game on day 1 at full price.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:17 am

Shou wrote:I actually preordered the Famitsu DX pack. This is one of the very few devs where I buy the game on day 1 at full price.

Ditto. Sad days that I'm excited about very little, and not the best time for me financially, but gotta give support where it's due.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:51 am

Anyone know what the deal is with the bans that happened? Was watching nico streams last night and at about 12pm suddenly people in all the chats were mentioning bans and then most of the streamers stopped, and today the bans still seem to be the big talking point and pretty much no one is streaming the game on nico.

Atlus banning accounts of people streaming? Wtf is the point?

I guess its just a Japan thing, no way something like this would be taken lightly in the west with Twitch streamers.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Oh so apparently Atlus had said on their twitter not to stream until the 25th, a lot of people started a few hours earlier and started getting blown up around 1am onwards. I was watching various streams for a good few hours before shit hit the fan.

At the same time I'm trying not to spoil the game too much for myself, only watching streams for moments at a time and trying to avoid footage of stuff that hadn't been shown. I did happen to the see the big Monty Python surprise though lol...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:23 am

Well, I fucked my order up. I can order it now w/o the book (which would have taken some of the sting out to the tune of 1500 yen or so). The only ones up on Amazon are like 9200 yen? I can order it for 6700, but no tock until 08/11. I leave town 08/16. Sorry Vanillaware... kind of my own fault, but can't show my support this time.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:34 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Well, I fucked my order up. I can order it now w/o the book (which would have taken some of the sting out to the tune of 1500 yen or so). The only ones up on Amazon are like 9200 yen? I can order it for 6700, but no tock until 08/11. I leave town 08/16. Sorry Vanillaware... kind of my own fault, but can't show my support this time.

My cc got stolen and had to cancel the card that I used to preorder with ebten.jp. They auto cancelled my order without an option to change payment method......I've only seen 1 retail store in the last week that has this game in stock and it was only the Vita version.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 am

Lovely... :-/

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:40 pm

So how are you guys liking your Dragon's Crown?

I have to say, my initial reaction was that it wasn't arcadey enough for me, but now I'm quite enamored with it. Really enjoying the questing, and they put some nice challenge in there so that if you chain stages, you can increase your bonusses.

Graphics and sound are incredible of course.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:40 am

I'm gonna finally be playing this on the weekend. Some friends and I are gonna do a 4 player run and go non-stop until we finish the game ;)

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 am

Probably my favorite game in a long while. If I had to nitpick anything that's keeping it from being my favorite belt scroll game is that the bosses are a bit to standard Dungeons & Dragons monster book faire, but classic fantasy is what they where aiming for. I have to be bloody honest that I kinda hate high fantasy settings, and although it has an Amazon (which is a sort off barbarian) it's far from Sword & Sorcery pulp which I do enjoy (Golden Axe, Rastan). I prefer Cyberpunk anyday. But as a game it's amazing. Aaaargh those conflicting feelings.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Not all bosses are high-fantasy though. I love the one from a certain Monty Python movie. ;)

Return to “Japanese Video Games”