Bandai Denshi Manga Jyuku

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Bandai Denshi Manga Jyuku

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Jp: 電子漫画塾

This is some super obscure bizarro stuff I recently discovered, a full handheld system from Bandai with the gimmick of letting you draw comic shit. Seems this came out in 1995, a year after Bandai released the Playdia.

Also had this alternate version:

The only thing that makes this interesting is that additional software cartridges were released under 2 lines: "Manga' cassettes and 'Game' cassettes. Here is number 1 of each, both DBZ titles:

No clue what this shit is like because there is limited info on the net, but I suppose the 'game' carts are games using the touchscreen/drawing gimmick and the 'manga' carts are purely just drawing shit? But why would cartridges need to be released for that? Maybe they just give you scenes to trace or something?

Dunno how many carts in total were released but I've seen a couple of Sailor Moon ones, a Street Fighter 2 one and a Slam Dunk one.

The most interesting of all however is a release in the 'game' line which actually seems to be original and not based on a manga, why this inexplicably appears to be released alone amongst all the license titles I have no idea:

And heres another curve ball, a Rockman X3 release of the system that comes included with a Rockman x3 'Manga cassette' and 'Game cassette'.

So yeah I guess the question is has anyone used/heard of this shit before, and if so then what are the 'games' on this thing actually like. It would be cool if they are actually some kind of legit games with the touch screen, but I'm suspecting they could be more along the lines of 'draw this to proceed'.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Bandai Denshi Manga Jyuku

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Now that I think of it, the 'Manga Cassettes' could just be a series of pictures that you browse through...
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Return to “Japanese Video Games”