Looking for info on Japanese shops that sell Arcade Parts

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

twistedsymphony
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Looking for info on Japanese shops that sell Arcade Parts

Postby twistedsymphony » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:19 pm

My first post here so I'm going to get to the point.

I'm a fan of arcade machines and I recently picked up a Sega "Cyber Troopers Virtual-On":

Now this was a 1995 release. In 1998 they released the sequel "Cyber Troopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram" (sometime referred to as Virtual On 2) or in Japanese: 電脳戦機バーチャロンオラトリオタングラム

While the original game was available in arcades world wide, like many things the sequel was only available in Japan :( The rest of the world got a console release on the Dreamcast but no arcade machine.

They made a whole new dedicated machine for this game (actually a few different machines) but they also made a "Conversion Kit" that allowed arcade operators to upgrade their old games to the new one... this included new PCBs, new control panels, new marquees and new stickers to cover up all of the original arcade art-work. The kit made the machines look like this:

THIS KIT is what I'm looking for. You can see the differences in the cabinet artwork from the pics of my machine up top. The PCBs, pop up from time to time on YAJ, The marquees and control panels are very rare but I've seen them on YAJ in the past... what I'm really interested in is the sticker set for the rest of the arcade cabinet.

------------------

Now most people say just check out YAJ but I've never seen the sticker set for sale there, this isn't surprising because when looking for these kinds of things in the US it's extremely rare to find them on eBay.

Usually when I need to source this stuff for USA arcade machines there are sites that carry "New Old Stock" or "NOS" parts like this one: http://arcadefixit.com/ They actually carry the complete graphics set for the original US market machine... never seen those graphics for sale on eBay though. And there are dozens and dozens of these websites here in the US and I know of a few that service other English speaking countries as well. I'm sure there are sites like this for Japan, that either cater to Japanese collectors, or Japanese arcade operators.

Also in the US there are lots of places that make reproduction graphics for older games where the original artwork is no longer available, such as: http://www.thisoldgame.com They find NOS pieces and scan them in so that they can print reproductions for collectors.

--------------

Not knowing how to speak Japanese and being unfamiliar with the terms that the Japanese arcade market uses (ie: what's the Japanese term for NOS?) I'm finding it extremely difficult to find information about these things.

If anyone can help me on my quest to find this cabinet artwork I would be very grateful :D

Worst case scenario I would try to find some high resolution pictures of all of the graphics and draw up new graphics from scratch in photoshop... this of course would be extremely time consuming and the end result wouldn't be perfect... but It's something I'm willing to do if the best I can find are good pictures of this artwork.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Re: Looking for info on Japanese shops that sell Arcade Part

Postby Shou » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:18 am

You won't find any of that stuff at any arcade shop in Japan. Generally, you'll only potentially find NOS stock on Yahoo. Only other way is to contact Japanese distributors or publishers but with a title this old, you'll not find Sega helpful.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 am

It seems there's one iteration of Virtual On that everyone whacks off to here... and you rarely see the others.

Bets of luck in your search though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

twistedsymphony
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby twistedsymphony » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Shou wrote:You won't find any of that stuff at any arcade shop in Japan. Generally, you'll only potentially find NOS stock on Yahoo. Only other way is to contact Japanese distributors or publishers but with a title this old, you'll not find Sega helpful.

Do you know of any distributors that I could contact? I figure it's worth at least asking.

Gaijin Punch wrote:It seems there's one iteration of Virtual On that everyone whacks off to here... and you rarely see the others.

Bets of luck in your search though.

lol I'm going to guess that's the NAOMI variant of Oratorio Tangram.

There were 3 different versions of Oratorio Tangram

v 5.2 which ran on Sega Model 3 hardware
v 5.4 which also ran on Sega Model 3 hardware
v 5.66 which ran on Sega Naomi hardware

v5.66 is about 2 years newer, had a bunch of extra features and had a much fancier looking arcade machine... the Naomi carts can be crazy expensive though (there are actually 2 for sale on YAJ right now)

I'm actually opting to go with one of the Model 3 variants for my machine, they're a bit cheaper but they're also the "proper" hardware for what I want to build... The biggest thing though is that my cabinet has medium resolution monitors and the Model 3 hardware works with those properly... NAOMI requires VGA monitors so if I were to go with that hardware I'd be spending another $400+ on top of the game just up upgrade my monitors...

There are actually 2 sets of Model 3 hardware listed on YAJ right now, but one listing seems sketchy (it doesn't list which version of the game and doesn't bring confidence that it actually works) the other is listed at about double what the hardware is actually worth... There were two other's that popped up over the last month and I got into a bidding war with another buyer... same guy both times and he went over what I'm willing to pay.

There was a pair of NAOMI carts with a pair of candy cab control panels that popped up last month and sold for almost 200,000 Yen :o that's arguably the most desirable configuration of this game.

Thankfully the stuff I'm looking for is a few steps down from the most sought after versions so hopefully I'll be able to pick it up eventually without breaking the bank.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 am

Distributors here won't deal with individuals so don't have contacts with them.

Force is more popular than VOOT but the franchise as a whole is minor now.
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”