MSX Laserdisc games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

MSX Laserdisc games

Postby Macaw » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Does anyone know the complete list of MSX laserdisc games released, and which ones were MSX exclusive (no arcade release)?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Re: MSX Laserdisc games

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:44 pm

And while were at it, a full list of the MSX VHD games would be cool too. :)
Stronger then your average deadite

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Astron Belt
Badlands
Cosmos Circus
Esh's Aurunmilla
Inter Stellar
Mystery Disc 1: Murder, Anyone? (excl.)
Mystery Disc 2: Many Roads To Murder (excl.)
Nipponkai Daikaisen Umi Yukaba (excl.)
Rolling Blaster (excl.)
Star Fighters (excl.)
Strike Mission (excl.)

Uchuu Kara Kenta Chikyuu seems to have been unreleased.

I *think* that should be 'em...

What would interest me is LD Games that were released as stand-alone LDs (or DVDs, like the American Laser Games stuff).

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:16 pm

SuperDeadite wrote:And while were at it, a full list of the MSX VHD games would be cool too. :)

Haha didn't even know about this stuff. Good to see that the greatest thing of all time Road Blaster got a release on it, I wonder what the quality is like.

Generation MSX has this image as part of the Road Blaster packaging, I wonder if its a complete list of the vhd's http://images.generation-msx.nl/cover/be5ca3c0.jpg

citcelaid wrote:Astron Belt
Badlands
Cosmos Circus
Esh's Aurunmilla
Inter Stellar
Mystery Disc 1: Murder, Anyone? (excl.)
Mystery Disc 2: Many Roads To Murder (excl.)
Nipponkai Daikaisen Umi Yukaba (excl.)
Rolling Blaster (excl.)
Star Fighters (excl.)
Strike Mission (excl.)

Yeah thats about all I had come across too, although information on the 2 murder games is scarce. Starfighters seems to be the standout to me, the combination of a simulation aspect along with the action scenes is interesting, and the action scenes where your moving through the facility and dodging the obstacles is pretty cool, kinda reminds me of the interior stages in Starfox.

Also god tier cover art:

citcelaid wrote:What would interest me is LD Games that were released as stand-alone LDs (or DVDs, like the American Laser Games stuff).

Hahaha yeah I would be interested if anything like that was released too.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 am

I'm curious because I remember my dad got "Murder, Anyone?" when he bought a Laserdisc player, and he thought an interactive movie was the coolest thing ever, lol. I should've convinced him to get a Neo Geo instead. :D
I'll have to ask him if he still has it.

That's why I'm wondering if any other LDs were released for regular LD players. I guess it would have to be games that don't keep score and have minimal controls.

This site shows a Badlands LD, but he says he's pretty sure it's the one for the arcade cab:
http://www.geocities.jp/dcc13579/etc-ld1.htm

Still pretty sweet that it came with a nice cover sleeve and all.

EDIT: The American Laser Games DVDs can be had for like two bucks a pop – seems like decent value for money. ;)

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm

VHD quality is quite close to LD. And there is Thunder Storm on VHD, which never got a LaserActive port sadly.

For DVDs, Road Blaster and Thunder Storm were both released on hybrid DVDs for Windows XP and X68030 computers. (Yes seriously 030 DVD-ROM games, though you only get 7fps on a stock 030, you get 15fps if you are baller enough to own an 060 Turbo lol).

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Does anyone have any comments about the current scene in Japan for Laserdisc arcade games? Do they ever really show up on YAJ that much? Is it equally as hard to find both the boards and the discs for a single game? Does this stuff sell into the thousands of dollars?

By the way Triad Stone/Strahl was actually never released in arcades in 85, it was going to be released under a different name but was canceled. The Japanese laserdisc game wiki is quite extensive now and appears to have just about all Japanese releases.

I really like the Harmageddon LD game DECO released too, considering it was released in 83' its incredibly ahead of its time in terms of having a proper narrative and boss battles for a sprite based game (the LD footage only serves as backgrounds)

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 pm

I saw a loose TimeGal Arcade LD sell on yahoo a year or two ago for about 60,000. LD only, nothing else.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 am

Macaw wrote:Does anyone have any comments about the current scene in Japan for Laserdisc arcade games? Do they ever really show up on YAJ that much? Is it equally as hard to find both the boards and the discs for a single game? Does this stuff sell into the thousands of dollars?

By the way Triad Stone/Strahl was actually never released in arcades in 85, it was going to be released under a different name but was canceled. The Japanese laserdisc game wiki is quite extensive now and appears to have just about all Japanese releases.

I really like the Harmageddon LD game DECO released too, considering it was released in 83' its incredibly ahead of its time in terms of having a proper narrative and boss battles for a sprite based game (the LD footage only serves as backgrounds)

In all of my time buying from the Japanese shops since the late 90's, I've never seen any of these golden age LD games for sale. The LDPs from then must all be dead/almost dead by now.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue May 21, 2013 4:39 am

Whoa thats insane, never would have thought the stuff would be so elusive.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 am

You ever seen them on YJ? I wouldn't expect to see this stuff in Akiba. I never remember seeing truly obscure stuff there in the non-arcade world. Of the thousands of flyers I've gotten over the last (gulp) 13 or so years, they all originated from Yahoo Japan, or patrons thereof.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 am

I've seen bare LDs very occasionally but never a full setup.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 pm

I take it no arcades ever have ld games up for play these days?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:53 am

Macaw wrote:I take it no arcades ever have ld games up for play these days?

Never seen one in any Japanese retro arcade but you always see them in US ones...
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”