PlayStation - Odo Odo Oddity

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

mitsuruga
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

PlayStation - Odo Odo Oddity

Postby mitsuruga » Mon May 06, 2013 9:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni4q5ZKRFWE

Has anybody played this game? Is it fun?

Thanks
o_O

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: PlayStation - Odo Odo Oddity

Postby sharc » Wed May 08, 2013 4:15 pm

oh, weird. i've been looking for this for a while now; it's definitely not talked about very much. the blog post that introduced me to the game had this to say:
eastern mind wrote:Odo Odo Oddity is a name with no value in today’s videogame sphere. It is in fact a title so humble and discrete that you can’t find a single piece of data about the team behind it (Isetan Data Company, as they’re known), let alone the individuals forming it. In spite of this, the team has left its small but meaningful contribution to game players: released in early 1997, this game is based on the bizarre journey of a small boy who travels with the aid of three colored balloons that cunningly represent the life bar. In his possession is also a magical staff with which he can throw projectiles capable of hitting the many enemies he finds as he crosses many different skies.

In short, Odo Odo Oddity is a rail shooting game with a friendly presentation and a number of highly inventive level designs as well as some unexpected technical demonstrations. Evading the dominant model of Panzer Dragoon to 3D rail shooters, Odo is more on the wavelength of its predecessors such as Space Harrier, if played in a much slower and thus more relaxing pace. Beyond its childlike aesthetics and modest presentation, this buried game presented me with some of the most visually striking locations in a videogame of its day, including the corageous exercise of building an entire level filled with references to Japanese visual arts, as is the case of Hokusai’s Great Wave off Kanagawa.

granted, the author could be a little on the hyperbolic side, but still sounds like an interesting title. if i ever find a copy of the damn thing with its spinecard i'll tell you what i think, but it looks like the sun will explode before that happens.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 pm

So, it's indeed that rare?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Tue May 14, 2013 6:39 pm

well, i wouldn't say that; there's a few copies in permanent rotation on yahoo, and it crops up on ebay from time to time. but for whatever reason there's never a spine with the thing. just not really seen as valuable or collectible, i guess.

could probably find it easy enough on the ground over there. or, judging by that last topic about old game shops in japan, maybe not.

Igakajook
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Igakajook » Wed May 15, 2013 8:28 am

Does the slow pace from the youtube video remain throughout the entire game?

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:33 am

I had Odo Odo Oddity - it was pretty poor. Somewhat surprised to see it get such an hyperbolic write up.

Actually - i might still have the game disk - way way back i chucked out a load of games cases for games i though were worth anything and kept the disks.... oops (?)
Beautiful Burnout

Return to “Japanese Video Games”