Sigma Raijin questions

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Sigma Raijin questions

Postby Pyongyang » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 am

Hi all,

I took delivery of a Sigma Raijin supergun today. First thoughts are that the build quality and design of the product is excellent, it's dimensions will fit in perfectly to the setup I have planned at home.

However, I bought the item used and a few things are present I am wishing to change. I'd like to replace the buttons, both player, coin and start and probably the sticks too. I'm at work right now so can't be taking the thing apart to have a look under the hood, but does anyone know how these superguns are set up? Just like an arcade CP with quick release connections on the buttons, joystick mounting plates etc? Same size buttons too?

Oh and finally, the JAMMA loom looks to be present and correct except I don't see a service button wired to any of the connectors on the JAMMA connector. How do I get in to the service menu on games without it? Can I source a new loom from somewhere perhaps?

Many thanks! :)

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Re: Sigma Raijin questions

Postby sven666 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm

pretty sure the joystick buttons are standard stuff easily replaceable.

as for the test switch, just solder on on there?
or go ghetto and mark the pin and use an old piece of wire to just short cirquit it, you dont go into the service menu that often anyways..
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 am

The whole thing is pretty standard. The stick it uses doesn't have a harness though, so you need to solder each lead to the little prong in the corner ,as well as the grounds. Always thought that was silly, but oh, well. It's not that hard.

Welcome to the Sigma club.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Sven and Mr. P. I received the Sigma Raijin yesterday and it's just a wonderful piece of kit. Really pleased with it. Finally I can switch out between Hyper Duel and Batrider PCB's, for example, in mere seconds rather than aeons when I had my Astro City cab. Loving the convenience albeit at the loss of the true arcade experience. ;)

I bought a switch today, a pack of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Miniature-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-Red-UK-1st-Class-Postage-/300841345000

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 am

All Sigma gear is awesome. Mine hasn't received much attention over the last year (maybe I should borrow a board from Shou) but it's one of those things I don't want to sell, as it's so well built. Wish everything I bought was.

Craftsmanship: where has it gone?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 pm

What are you using instead of your Sigma? I opened up the control box last night to have a snoop around! :)

I do love the build quality, 6 or so screws and just lift off the lid. Lovely! Indeed the buttons are all on quick disconnects, so that's useful, except the start and coin buttons which appear to be connected to individual circuit boards. That will be a pain changing those out.

You were right about the sticks by the way, the switch points are soldered and wired back to a 5 pin connector. Just means I need to buy Seimitsu LS-56-01's rather than LS-56's. Although they look like like 56's in there already, usually Seimitsu imprint the product code on the boards do they not? They did on the LS-56 in my Virtua Stick Pro.

If they are 56's, no need to change 'em up, best sticks ever made! (imho)

Loving the Sigma Raijin so far though, I actually like that the 2 sets of controls are nestled close together, it means I can mess up double play attempts even better now! :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Pyongyang wrote:What are you using instead of your Sigma? I opened up the control box last night to have a snoop around! :)

Nothing -- just not really playing many games these days, and when I do, it's usually console (and only for a little bit of time).

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:40 am

Next time, we can visit my storage area and you can pick something out lol

become history

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 am

Somewhere in that pile has to be Thunder Force AC? :cry:

I spent a lot of time with the Sigma over the weekend, testing out all my boards (reads like a lot there, in reality is like 10 or 12 :) ). Rare occasion that I got to do that though, I mostly play in short bursts. Between boards and consoles.

Back to writing my next 'zine now so all my spare time has been gobbled up with that for the next few weeks/months. I have Guardian Force for the Saturn coming soon though so I'm excited to try that, I could never find the STV version unfortunately.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:56 am

Pyongyang wrote:Somewhere in that pile has to be Thunder Force AC? :cry:

Actually, I don't have it and don't really want it as I prefer MD Thunder Force III. Same with Hyper Duel, I like the SS version better than the PCB.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Shou wrote:Next time, we can visit my storage area and you can pick something out lol

Need something to take my mind off shit. I even have stooped so low as to downloading an ebook to read on my iPad. :whack:

Last game I was like, "Okay, I want to play this..." was SDI/Quartet (the Quartet part) and I don't seem to have it anymore. Need to pick it up. I might actually play through Phantasy Star (PS2 collection) to relieve some memories from junior high.

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 pm

@Mr. P: An eBook.... on an iPad? :yuck: I hear Reamde is a good read. Had the hardback sat on my shelf for months now though, must get round to reading it!

@Shou: If you ever come across a TF AC board for sale, please think of me sir! :)

By the way, back on topic, I soldered a little button to the JAMMA connector yesterday evening, specifically to pins 14 and 15. A micro momentary one that looks like the Sigma one with the red button on it. Works like a charm and I can bore myself to death with service settings until my hearts content!

Swapped the buttons out too. They were Seimitsu's in there originally but they were not in the best condition, so I done the unthinkable and bought Sanwa buttons for the first time ever. I keep washing myself but the dirt isn't coming off! :cry:

The coin and start buttons look a bit trickier to swap out as you have to desolder them first before you can even pop the button out. I'll do that another night I think. :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't think I ever messed w/ the coin/start buttons. I got my thing rigged up like I needed, but had to Dremel. Now there's something I totally suck at.

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm

What did you need to Dremel on the Raijin? O_O

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Pyongyang wrote:What did you need to Dremel on the Raijin? O_O

this
Damn, forgot I had that section on the main page.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:31 am

Pyongyang wrote:@Shou: If you ever come across a TF AC board for sale, please think of me sir! :)

Last time I saw one was at the beginning of the year and it sat in the shop for awhile. I'll keep it in mind but I'm sure STV will get in the way.
become history

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:55 am

...but I don't want to pay that stealth tax. :finger:

Genuinely though, if you see one for sale, and it doesn't cost the equivalent of the national debt of China, think of me. :D

Stuff is getting way out of hand these days, stealth tax aside, I saw a Darius Burst EX poster on YAJ yesterday, BNIB with cab arts. It was at ¥205,000 yesterday. Still climbing today probably, I've not checked.

¥205,000!!! FOR SOME PAPER!!! O_O

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 am

Wtf why are Darius Burst EX posters so valuable?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:21 am

Haha you put one too many zero's in there, its actually 20,500 yen. Still high for paperwork of a new game...
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:45 am

Whoops! Yep there was an extra 0 there sorry. :)

No idea why they are so expensive. The earlier games I can understand, you just never see them available... ever. At least personally I've only seen 3 DBACEX posters and I saw 1 Darius GSM poster about a year ago that was torn to shreds, sellotaped together and it still went for ¥10,000+ (I forget the final price).

I have a huge obsession (borderline mentally unsettling :? ) with the Darius games though, so if I was a rich man I'd happily pay any sum, including STV tax for anything Darius-related. Especially the PCB's, just like Mr. Shou's 3 screen Darius Extra setup. That, is gaming nirvana, right there. BAM! Straight in the kisser! ;)

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:52 pm

How much do those limited edition Darius Burst EX shoulder bags go for?

Pyongyang
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pyongyang » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 pm

There are (afaik) 2 different designs. I saw them for sale in Hey! and a few (but not all) Taito Station game centres last year. I think they were around ¥1000 each?

I have both. :)

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:56 am

Pyongyang wrote:I have a huge obsession (borderline mentally unsettling :? ) with the Darius games though, so if I was a rich man I'd happily pay any sum, including STV tax for anything Darius-related. Especially the PCB's, just like Mr. Shou's 3 screen Darius Extra setup. That, is gaming nirvana, right there. BAM! Straight in the kisser! ;)

The boards have been going up in value especially in the case of 2 3-screen version, probably easily would fetch 400,000 at the moment (I didn't miss any digits there!).
become history

Return to “Japanese Video Games”